Desktop Computers

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Because android apps and other smart solutions are relatively shit, and I want access to a full browser for twitch/youtube and full access to my various saved media, and access to whatever else I might want but wouldn't be able to do (easily or at all) outside of a full OS. It's how I have it setup now, but I'd like to move the actual PC out to be with my main and work systems.

Cool, ever tried a Roku though? How about leave the PC where it is and Remote Desktop into it from your main system?

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I haven't, but I'm assuming I can't run a full browser with extensions on it and use my media keyboard with it.

Yeah that’s kind of a windows requirement there. What is the need to move the PC outside of the bedroom?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah that’s kind of a windows requirement there. What is the need to move the PC outside of the bedroom?

Mostly, I just don't want a full PC tower sitting on the floor near my bed anymore as it looks weird, and I would like to have it powering a monitor for media next to my full system to avoid various frame timing/vsync issues in gaming.

I mean, I can easily just setup an HTPC or something, but I know very little about things like media streamers (roku et al) and figured I'd ask incase there was something I just didn't know existed. Mist's suggestion is probably the closest bet, but I wager the latency/price will make it a poor option, so I'll likely just end up building a new much more compact system.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Mostly, I just don't want a full PC tower sitting on the floor near my bed anymore as it looks weird, and I would like to have it powering a monitor for media next to my full system to avoid various frame timing/vsync issues in gaming.

I mean, I can easily just setup an HTPC or something, but I know very little about things like media streamers (roku et al) and figured I'd ask incase there was something I just didn't know existed. Mist's suggestion is probably the closest bet, but I wager the latency/price will make it a poor option, so I'll likely just end up building a new much more compact system.

Another thing to consider, that keyboard you want to use. If you move the PC out of the bedroom, how is the keyboard going to connect to the PC?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Another thing to consider, that keyboard you want to use. If you move the PC out of the bedroom, how is the keyboard going to connect to the PC?

Wireless (K400+) and the rooms are close enough that it works, albeit with a few problems.

Having thought through it all now with the feedback, I'm pretty sure what I want to accomplish isn't going to work out as well as I hope, so another approach will be needed.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Wireless (K400+) and the rooms are close enough that it works, albeit with a few problems.

Having thought through it all now with the feedback, I'm pretty sure what I want to accomplish isn't going to work out as well as I hope, so another approach will be needed.

The next version of Windows 10 supposedly coming in April purportedly fixes the multiple monitors with different refresh rates stuttering issue.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I also use an Intel NUC which is about the size of a deck of cards. Mine is ~5 years old and runs Kodi for my HTPC with a Bluetooth keyboard with built in trackpad. I’m sure one of the new ones would just run Win10.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Me or Dom? Yeah for the Pi-Hole setup. Not in the market to replace my NUC, works just fine, was just a suggestion for him.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's got up to 4GB of RAM and has 2 HDMI ports to support dual monitors. If it couldn't even handle running a browser what exactly would anyone use a raspberry pi for?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's got up to 4GB of RAM and has 2 HDMI ports to support dual monitors. If it couldn't even handle running a browser what exactly would anyone use a raspberry pi for?

That doesn't answer my question. When I looked into getting a pi for this purpose before the model 4 came out, everything pointed to it not being powerful enough to stream, browse, or manage 4k media without at least some issues. Are you saying that the 4 is enough of an improvement to overcome that?

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Not yet, but why? It won't be powerful enough for this afaik

Why did I get a notification that my post was quoted here?

Anyway, pi4 doesn't do HDR, would not buy a cheap crap device not up to snuff for standard 2020 video features.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why did I get a notification that my post was quoted here?

Anyway, pi4 doesn't do HDR, would not buy a cheap crap device not up to snuff for standard 2020 video features.

My advice was based on the assumption he was going to/already had a pi4. And as I understand it the hardware is perfectly capable of playing 4k HDR, the software is the issue at the moment.