Desktop Computers

Oldbased

> Than U

Great option for anyone that needs a good budget display, assuming you can actually find one
Ok new question. I currently have a HP 27" curved 60hz 1080 monitor and a MSI 27" curved 2560 165hz monitor.
They are identical height and attached to each other to be a almost seamless screen although I use duplicate mode.
One is gaming and the other browser, discord and so forth.
I noticed a decent FPS hit on the 2560 but fuck me, even a background image on the 2560 is not only clearer, detail is out the ass awesome as well and everything about it just sweet.
By FPS hit I am still hitting 70fps on games like Ark/Atlas on ultra settings with lots of shit and people on screen so I don't mind.

IF I was to get another 2560 to replace the HP 27" but it wasn't used for gaming, would it suck down my 2060 super even more with a massive hit, or being a browser monitor, not really matter?
Is there any real reason to even do this or is the way I am doing it just fine as it is?
I'm pretty good getting my way around a pc but all this nice equipment is new to me. The last 15 years of LCD monitors can be summed up as $130 bargain monitors, not like the $430 one I have now. Which I don't regret a bit.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Ok new question. I currently have a HP 27" curved 60hz 1080 monitor and a MSI 27" curved 2560 165hz monitor.
They are identical height and attached to each other to be a almost seamless screen although I use duplicate mode.
I noticed a decent FPS hit on the 2560 but fuck me, even a background image on the 2560 is not only clearer, detail is out the ass awesome as well and everything about it just sweet.
By FPS hit I am still hitting 70fps on games like Ark/Atlas on ultra settings with lots of shit and people on screen so I don't mind.

IF I was to get another 2560 to replace the HP 27" but it wasn't used for gaming, would it suck down my 2060 super even more with a massive hit, or being a browser monitor, not really matter?
Is there any real reason to even do this or is the way I am doing it just fine as it is?
I'm pretty good getting my way around a pc but all this nice equipment is new to me. The last 15 years of LCD monitors can be summed up as $130 bargain monitors, not like the $430 one I have now. Which I don't regret a bit.

There will be no performance hit from stepping up to a higher resolution on a secondary monitor that isn't being used for to display a game or whatever. At most, it might push your card into a higher pixel pushing range which might influence boost clock ranges (in short: might cause a bit more power consumption when idle)

Most of the stuff you're going to view on the secondary monitor media-wise, like youtube and netflix will just be 1080p so it will be upscaled and you won't neccesarily notice better quality with those things. You will get more space to work with when it comes to websites/work/discord due to the higher resolution

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Your second monitor isn't really going to bottleneck your gpu just rendering discord and/or webpages

Whether it's worth it to get one ..depends how much nicer the MSI looks to you.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

I honestly want to get a 4k monitor for my secondary, for movies and stuff. I haven't been able to justify the expense yet, but it'll happen sooner or later.

Oldbased

> Than U
Your second monitor isn't really going to bottleneck your gpu just rendering discord and/or webpages

Whether it's worth it to get one ..depends how much nicer the MSI looks to you.
It looks pretty damn nice to me. I'd say the biggest difference other than sharpness of everything is how deep blacks and shadows go.
Why it is a concern and I guess I should have asked is, is having multiple resolutions and refresh rates a issue and I would be best off with identical specs or is it really not a issue for a video card to do multiple resolutions and refresh rates.
The card I have has 3 DPs and a HDMI and I am running off 2 of the DPs currently.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It looks pretty damn nice to me. I'd say the biggest difference other than sharpness of everything is how deep blacks and shadows go.
Why it is a concern and I guess I should have asked is, is having multiple resolutions and refresh rates a issue and I would be best off with identical specs or is it really not a issue for a video card to do multiple resolutions and refresh rates.
The card I have has 3 DPs and a HDMI and I am running off 2 of the DPs currently.

We've talked about it a few times in the past here, but mixing refresh rates can be a problem for some people (I'm one of those people) due to how Windows handles DWM vsync. If you are currently mixing refresh rates and you aren't seeing any obvious frame issues while gaming then you're likely not affected.

Different resolutions won't matter unless you're using different scaling %'s between them at which point some programs don't take too well to trying to bounce around between them if you're moving them between monitors.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I honestly want to get a 4k monitor for my secondary, for movies and stuff. I haven't been able to justify the expense yet, but it'll happen sooner or later.

Get a 4k TV if that's really all you're going to use it for. Save you a few bucks.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Get a 4k TV if that's really all you're going to use it for. Save you a few bucks.
That's why I haven't been able to justify the expense, I have a TV and it's easy to get things to the TV to watch. Doesn't stop me from wanting that completely unnecessary upgrade though!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Microcenter is selling the 3700X for $260 in-store plus an extra $20 off when you buy a mobo. Absolute steal for that if you have one near you. Been on mine for half a year and the thing is rock solid.

I hate Microcenter deals. The closest to me is 2.5 hours away.

I’m probably going to get a 3700x, don’t really see them going on sale often. You have a motherboard recommendation for it?

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Zowie or Logitech. I mostly only prefer Logitech for their palm grip is pretty unchanged even if they moved to the spaceship that is g502/3.. But Zowie's feel really nice and instead of budgeting for future aesthetic.. Their money goes into real ergonomics.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I hate Microcenter deals. The closest to me is 2.5 hours away.

I’m probably going to get a 3700x, don’t really see them going on sale often. You have a motherboard recommendation for it?
Can you wait like 3-4 months? They make it sound like next gen is going to be significant

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Can you wait like 3-4 months? They make it sound like next gen is going to be significant

Yeah. It's been 7 years, what's .25 more? I was just going off of him saying if you aren't going to buy again for a long time do a 3700x, my plan is another 7 year build!

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah. It's been 7 years, what's .25 more? I was just going off of him saying if you aren't going to buy again for a long time do a 3700x, my plan is another 7 year build!
I wouldn't blame you for not waiting, because frankly we don't really know when they will actually drop. I would expect to find out at Computex start of June, since they already revealed the Laptop versions. It's just a thought that if you're really looking to build a computer that is going to last a long time, hitting the generation that has serious potential leaps might be worth the wait. The below article believes release in July to September.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Probably gonna do a PC refresh sometime in the next few months. I was gonna ask, regardless of money, what monitor should I be looking for?

I think I'd have to draw the line well before $2800 though. Shit, the OLED TVs aren't even $2,000 anymore (on sale).