Desktop Computers

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
I7 7700k for $120

rtyixflcpgu41.png

Fucker

Log Wizard
I actually like weird stuff like the brown / beige fans and chrome towers. Actually had to remove one of the fans for now because I'm not clearing the RAM. Not sure if removing my RAM heat spreaders will fix that or if there's another option

If it clears the fins, it will clear the fans. Take the fan off and move it up a bit. Mine sits high just because of that. If it doesn't clear either, pull off the spreader. Look how to do it first. The spreaders are just eye candy anyway. The only ram that needed heat spreaders was RDRAM. the active module would get blazing hot, so they used a heat spreader to transfer the load across the other chips. DDR 4 RAM doesn't get hot enough to melt the sticker glue Samsung and Crucial apply to the stickers they apply directly to the RAM biscuits themselves.

RAM Biscuit, folks. You heard it here first. Highly technical, yet smugly aloof.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I mean I did have to move the fan up a lot because of the ram, and that's causing the window not to be able to close. If I had bought low profile RAM I would've been better off. Gonna look at removing the shields though and see if that gives enough clearance. Otherwise I'll toss on a smaller fan and call it a day. From what I gather, that extra fan doesn't actually so much. I have 4 case fans anyways.

I have it stable at 4.3GHz @1.25V, just gonna run a stress test overnight and see how it does.

I'm a computer engineer. I can't not OC this. Next up is OCing the GPU and RAM. The XMP/DOCP is working fine but I want to tighten it up.

Build booted up first try, so feeling good.

Check out how ugly, non RGB this is

IMG_20200422_212435.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I mean I did have to move the fan up a lot because of the ram, and that's causing the window not to be able to close. If I had bought low profile RAM I would've been better off. Gonna look at removing the shields though and see if that gives enough clearance. Otherwise I'll toss on a smaller fan and call it a day. From what I gather, that extra fan doesn't actually so much. I have 4 case fans anyways.

I have it stable at 4.3GHz @1.25V, just gonna run a stress test overnight and see how it does.

I'm a computer engineer. I can't not OC this. Next up is OCing the GPU and RAM. The XMP/DOCP is working fine but I want to tighten it up.

Build booted up first try, so feeling good.

Check out how ugly, non RGB this is

View attachment 264746

I have a HAF XB EVO. Is it huge? YES. Is it ugly? YES. Can I fit a small block Chevy in it? YES. Laugh at my cable management. Does it clear the fans and not impede airflow? YES. That's all that matters. Does it take me seconds to add a drive? YES. It is easy to clean and to put stuff into? YES.

hfgj.JPG

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Aiming for 3733cl14 with that Bdie kit? DRAM Calculator for Ryzen can help if you aren't already using something.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is it necessary or cool, will it get that hot? I'm legit asking as I don't OC much and my cooler master 212 has always donr a fine job?

I use similar coolers even on builds that I never OC because they are extremely quiet, effectively inaudible in most circumstances. I'm done listening to fan whine.

The actual heat load on modern CPUs isn't really any higher compared to stuff from years past unless you get into $$$$ HEDT CPUs. 65-95W for most parts these days, even back in the Pentium 4 or Core 2 duo days that would have been a fairly typical number.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Aiming for 3733cl14 with that Bdie kit? DRAM Calculator for Ryzen can help if you aren't already using something.
I'm aiming for good numbers, I need to tinker with it today. Yesterday was just putting it together and starting the OC process

Ran realbench for 4 hours and it was 100% stable. Temps did hit 95C on the stress tests so I'm gonna think if that's something I'm ok with. As far as I know that's when ryzen throttles

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Didn't get the black version :wompwomp:

It's hard to get across how big and heavy those things are. They make me uncomfortable, I'd rather just water cool.
Thats exactly what I did when I got mine. Was like..wtf this this is massive. Cools great but god damn its huge.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I'm kinda dumb and my gaming monitor is only dvi/vga/HDMI, totally forgot. Well... Had to order a 1440p 144hz monitor... Can't really test this til it shows up

Some dude on Reddit bought my 1070 for $185

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I'm kinda dumb and my gaming monitor is only dvi/vga/HDMI, totally forgot. Well... Had to order a 1440p 144hz monitor... Can't really test this til it shows up

Some dude on Reddit bought my 1070 for $185
Hardware swap is a fantastic sub-reddit for shit. It's where I bought my 1080Ti.

nquwfey9jju41.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Originally I bought a MSI 27 inch 1440p 144hz VA monitor, but this LG kept popping up with people clamoring for it. Always out of stock.

Took a brief look this morning and it was in stock so I cancelled my MSI order and snagged it. As far as I can tell, you can't find a monitor with these specs at this price anywhere, and the rtings results on this are very good. "Regular" price on this is $599

Screenshot_20200425-080441.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Originally I bought a MSI 27 inch 1440p 144hz VA monitor, but this LG kept popping up with people clamoring for it. Always out of stock.

Took a brief look this morning and it was in stock so I cancelled my MSI order and snagged it. As far as I can tell, you can't find a monitor with these specs at this price anywhere, and the rtings results on this are very good. "Regular" price on this is $599

View attachment 265261
That monitor is one of the best on the market what the fuck are they selling it at that price for?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of monitors, this is in stock.

You can fit so many pixels in that thing...

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

View attachment 265261
This is the lower model of the 27gl850 which is the one most people talk about, and the one that is more expensive. The only real difference is that this one isn't wide gamut, which only matters for gaming if you like saturated colours. It's quite a bit cheaper though, but that price isn't really a deal.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is the lower model of the 27gl850 which is the one most people talk about, and the one that is more expensive. The only real difference is that this one isn't wide gamut, which only matters for gaming if you like saturated colours. It's quite a bit cheaper though, but that price isn't really a deal.
Reddit seems to be mixed with a lot of people thinking the one I got is better or the same. There's a lot of posts of people going nuts trying to buy it while it goes out of stock in under 4 minutes. I'm comfortable with what I got though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Reddit seems to be mixed with a lot of people thinking the one I got is better or the same. There's a lot of posts of people going nuts trying to buy it while it goes out of stock in under 4 minutes. I'm comfortable with what I got though.
The tests seem pretty conclusive, as long as you run it in HDR mode then yours is the better one.