Desktop Computers

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Considered it but just couldn't. I was willing to go AMD CPU. Tough pill to swallow

I'm not complaining too hard about Amazon, I know my computer means so little when covid is going around

so what is the deal behind AMD processor/Radeon gpus?

I see prebuilt systems with those components sell for noticeably cheaper than intel/GeForce combos

but I also know a lot of people tend to stay away from them because of what: performance issues?

Argarth

On the verandah
Wonder if I'll live long enough to see an Ultrawide Desktop OLED?

EDIT: Oh, and this thing looks like a cracking good deal.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
so what is the deal behind AMD processor/Radeon gpus?

I see prebuilt systems with those components sell for noticeably cheaper than intel/GeForce combos

but I also know a lot of people tend to stay away from them because of what: performance issues?
AMD processors are significantly cheaper to manufactuer than Intel's so they are cheaper. Performance wise for gaming Intel is only 5-10% faster at 1080p, beyond 1080p and both are the same. For productivity software AMD performs much better 90% of the time. Ryzen 3000 processors are absolutely rock solid processors. Ive owned mine for coming up on a year and have had zero crashes or problems and the three other people I know who also got 3700s have zero complaints as well.

AMD GPUs on the other hand have had some driver issues, but iirc in the past few months theyve come out with a big patch thats supposedly fixed most of their issues. A friend of mine has a 5700 and I havent heard him complain about issues when playing games and he plays a lot of different games since he has xbox gaming pass.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
OCed my 3900x to 4.3GHz very stable - I might have won the silicon lottery with it so might try to go 4.4 or 4.5. Temps don't even go past 80C under a stress test.

OCed my 2070 Super to 2065MHz and 7800MHz memory

OCed my RAM to 14-14-14-28

Think I can't do much more. Really pleased with this PC

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Reddit seems to be mixed with a lot of people thinking the one I got is better or the same. There's a lot of posts of people going nuts trying to buy it while it goes out of stock in under 4 minutes. I'm comfortable with what I got though.

The popularity behind the 27gl850 stems from its responsiveness, which the 83A matches for the most part.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
OCed my 3900x to 4.3GHz very stable - I might have won the silicon lottery with it so might try to go 4.4 or 4.5. Temps don't even go past 80C under a stress test.

OCed my 2070 Super to 2065MHz and 7800MHz memory

OCed my RAM to 14-14-14-28

Think I can't do much more. Really pleased with this PC

Make sure to memtest atleast 12GB overnight to so you know it's actually stable, then you get to work on all the different subtimings

bdie.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Make sure to memtest atleast 12GB overnight to so you know it's actually stable, then you get to work on all the different subtimings

View attachment 265363
Already did that - that's what I'm testing now. I'm doing an AIDA64 mem stress test now

Gonna post on the overclocking sub and see how I did and what else I can do. I think I can OC the cpu some more. Probably the GPU too but not sure

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone have this monitor?

It seems good for the price and fairly overlooked.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Reading about all this overclock stuff is like trying to read an alien language for me. So foreign. How necessary is all that testing? Is it generally unwise to overclock without running overnight tests? Is this kind of just for fun - your new rig seems plenty capable of running any current game with ease Noodleface Noodleface ?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Reading about all this overclock stuff is like trying to read an alien language for me. So foreign. How necessary is all that testing? Is it generally unwise to overclock without running overnight tests? Is this kind of just for fun - your new rig seems plenty capable of running any current game with ease Noodleface Noodleface ?
You want to detect if you have any problems before the easy return period is up.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Dell monitors don't stand out from other companies quality wise, but their biggest selling point is their warranty and support. It's important to buy during a sale though as they happen often and their regular prices are bullshit

• 1Like

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
so im in the market for a new headset googled some stuff for reviews this one caught my eye for it being 50% off, but after reading reviews it says dont bother buying unless you have a Sound card adapter ( i never bothered to buy a sound card im using on board if that helps answer questions)

Headphones and the review about the sound card adapter
hdsssetreview.png

If you guys have any recommendations im the in the market for 100-150$ maybe more if its worth it, id like to hear some opinions on what you guys use (mostly for FPS) and why you recommend it, if anyone has a link to a good website with reviews on headsets please feel free to post that here as well, thanks in advance bros

Alot of stuff im reading now is buy a good headset and then a stand alone mic whats your guys opinion? i see streamers using these headsets with seperate mics but i dont think that has anything to do with sound clarity they just want a stand alone mic to either talk to chat(better quality sounding voice) and use the headset for disc
"Because 'gaming' headsets are gimmicky targeted products that combine shit tier drivers with even shittier tier microphones."

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard

Out of stock, just like most other things these days.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
so im in the market for a new headset googled some stuff for reviews this one caught my eye for it being 50% off, but after reading reviews it says dont bother buying unless you have a Sound card adapter ( i never bothered to buy a sound card im using on board if that helps answer questions)

Headphones and the review about the sound card adapter View attachment 265420

If you guys have any recommendations im the in the market for 100-150$ maybe more if its worth it, id like to hear some opinions on what you guys use (mostly for FPS) and why you recommend it, if anyone has a link to a good website with reviews on headsets please feel free to post that here as well, thanks in advance bros

Alot of stuff im reading now is buy a good headset and then a stand alone mic whats your guys opinion? i see streamers using these headsets with seperate mics but i dont think that has anything to do with sound clarity they just want a stand alone mic to either talk to chat(better quality sounding voice) and use the headset for disc
"Because 'gaming' headsets are gimmicky targeted products that combine shit tier drivers with even shittier tier microphones."

Sound card adapter? I have no idea what that guy might be talking about. A friend of mine has those and uses the onboard sound card just fine.

Argarth

On the verandah
It's for fun

It's the same as dudes tuning their cars. Stability testing is important though

I'd really like to know what maximum per-core clocks your new CPU can hit, with no manual overclocking and just PBO Enabled (not Auto) in the BIOS.

Even my 'old' 2700X can hit 4250 on 2 or 3 cores at the same time, if the workload allows the CPU to downvolt/downclock the other unused cores.

The architecture/PBO has significantly improved in your 3900X, and if you really did win the lottery, it could be interesting.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Came close to buying it (or rather, the msi version - many manufacturers offer these curved 1440p VA screens, pretty sure they all use the same panel). Reviews of some other brands' version said the 27" version was better than the 32" though. It's a VA panel so it should have really good blacks, very good for dark scenes or using in dim rooms.

I went with a 4k LG in the end, which looked great but having to scale shit up got old quick. Went back to 1080p, everything I use my pc for (web and mostly older games) just works best at 1080.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd really like to know what maximum per-core clocks your new CPU can hit, with no manual overclocking and just PBO Enabled (not Auto) in the BIOS.

Even my 'old' 2700X can hit 4250 on 2 or 3 cores at the same time, if the workload allows the CPU to downvolt/downclock the other unused cores.

The architecture/PBO has significantly improved in your 3900X, and if you really did win the lottery, it could be interesting.
Still tightening my RAM timings, but after that I can test it out and see

• 1Like