Desktop Computers

Jovec

?
Every year I go through this phase where I want to combine systems, leverage VMs and GPU pass-through, to simpliy and reduce and every year I always come back to same conclusion that separate systems are best. Anyway, 5800X3D, 5700X, and 6950XT ordered. If prices drop, they drop. If I need a new PSU I will order one. I will post system builds/pics if anyone cars (or even if they don't ). Thanks for the input everyone.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I need help buying a desktop. I haven't owned one in over 10 years. I do all my gaming on consoles these days (I'm old and the couch is more comfortable), so we don't really need to spend extra money on something higher end. If it's fast and reliable for creating things on Microsoft Office for work, and can be used for Netflix and the internet, that's probably all we need. Thinking prebuilt, something like a Dell Inspiron (i5-i7 12th gen, 12-16gb ram, 512-1tb ssd, Win 11, integrated graphics card?) We'd need a monitor recommendation too. Hoping to be in the $500-1,000 range, but the lower the better. I know this is probably way below FoHs standards, but you guys know your stuff. Thanks

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I need help buying a desktop. I haven't owned one in over 10 years. I do all my gaming on consoles these days (I'm old and the couch is more comfortable), so we don't really need to spend extra money on something higher end. If it's fast and reliable for creating things on Microsoft Office for work, and can be used for Netflix and the internet, that's probably all we need. Thinking prebuilt, something like a Dell Inspiron (i5-i7 12th gen, 12-16gb ram, 512-1tb ssd, Win 11, integrated graphics card?) We'd need a monitor recommendation too. Hoping to be in the $500-1,000 range, but the lower the better. I know this is probably way below FoHs standards, but you guys know your stuff. Thanks
if it's just basic home office shit, have you thought about a decent laptop instead?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
If it's fast and reliable for creating things on Microsoft Office for work, and can be used for Netflix and the internet, that's probably all we need.
You don't need an Intel 12th gen or i5 for that, this is what i3 are made for.

If you really want to build your own, here's a basic $500 AMD Micro-ATX build, Newegg prices:

The PSU is cheap but a bit oversized (for what is a sub 300W build), so you can pop in a medium range GPU later if you want more gaming.

The case comes around to personal preference at this price point.

We'd need a monitor recommendation too.
There is a separate thread for that. LG 27GP850 ($330), or Gigabyte G27Q ($230).

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
You don't need an Intel 12th gen or i5 for that, this is what i3 are made for.

If you really want to build your own, here's a basic $500 AMD Micro-ATX build, Newegg prices:

The PSU is cheap but a bit oversized (for what is a sub 300W build), so you can pop in a medium range GPU later if you want more gaming.

The case comes around to personal preference at this price point.

There is a separate thread for that. LG 27GP850 ($330), or Gigabyte G27Q ($230).

I have issues with people recommending builds and have them go super cheap. Why recommend B450 board and Gen4 NVME? Also this board doesnt support the cpu unless he has an older cpu to flash bios.

I dont believe in ever building dated machines unless you have no choice -

Anywho

Went 011 air mini for good airflow no matter where you put it - ram irrelevant for you - went with fully modular psu for convenience - picked out cheapest 27 inch monitor but you can do whatever with that - motherboard is B550 and has better gains for the 5600G than a B450 especially with pcie4 support

Most prebuilts in your price range will have bad airflow so its best to build it yourself. You can build along with Linus or Jayz if you havent before or its been a while, its no more difficult than anything else until you need to troubleshoot.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
if it's just basic home office shit, have you thought about a decent laptop instead?
I could be misinformed, but I thought desktops were more comfortable to use when sitting at a desk, easier to replace parts if something breaks, last longer, and cost less for similar specced laptops? We already have some tablets and chrome books if we want to sit on the couch and surf or whatever.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Neranja Neranja Thanks for the build sheet. I really don’t want to build my own though (time plus lack of familiarity with doing so). Was hoping for a prebuilt recommendation.

Xexx Xexx thank you as well for the build and info. If you HAD to recommend a prebuilt in that price range, what would you advise?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Neranja Neranja Thanks for the build sheet. I really don’t want to build my own though (time plus lack of familiarity with doing so). Was hoping for a prebuilt recommendation.

Xexx Xexx thank you as well for the build and info. If you HAD to recommend a prebuilt in that price range, what would you advise?

First - where will the PC be? does the room has decent ambient temps?

HP Victus Gaming Desktop Intel Core i3-12100F 8GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 512GB SSD Mica Silver TG02-0014 - Best Buy

Basic use, no frills, no nada - upgrade its ram and thats about it.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
It will be in our home office. 70-75° year-round.

Yeah if its only for daily family use that HP is just fine and since it has a GPU you can use it for some simple gaming - but youd need to upgrade ram to 16GB - If you do alot of varied work related task you can upgrade that to 32GB.

Building is always the best route, but i get that not everyone can build or wants to build.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Anyone need a 6800xt? I’ve got a gently used Asrock Taichi i need to offload and would sell for 550 delivered to a forum bro vs ebay bullshit

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah if its only for daily family use that HP is just fine and since it has a GPU you can use it for some simple gaming - but youd need to upgrade ram to 16GB - If you do alot of varied work related task you can upgrade that to 32GB.

Building is always the best route, but i get that not everyone can build or wants to build.
Thanks so much. This HP seems to be exactly what we need. Perfect for the office, the option to do light gaming if I feel like it, and just over $500. Does it matter what ram I buy if I want to upgrade to 16gb? It comes with a single 8gb stick, so can I just buy another 8 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM in whatever brand I want and pop it in?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks so much. This HP seems to be exactly what we need. Perfect for the office, the option to do light gaming if I feel like it, and just over $500. Does it matter what ram I buy if I want to upgrade to 16gb? It comes with a single 8gb stick, so can I just buy another 8 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM in whatever brand I want and pop it in?
only two dimm slots, you might want to just nab 2 sticks of 16gb and never have to upgrade again for a long time
24479bf4749ede8f0d46f76a6afb6c41.png

good 32gb kit is about 100bucks

i mean an 8gb stick is already gonna be 30bucks anyway

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ya. Janx has the right idea. Replace the 1650 after that. You should be able to drop something modest like a 4090 in it. That computer will be a beast then!
ThisIsTerribleAdvice.jpg

Edit to make sure you know its sarcasm:
bh9yver2p8k91.jpg

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I have issues with people recommending builds and have them go super cheap. Why recommend B450 board and Gen4 NVME? Also this board doesnt support the cpu unless he has an older cpu to flash bios.
The build was as cheap as possible, so dated specs are expected.

The AMD 5600G only supports PCIe 3.0. No, seriously, look it up.

The B450 board is fine, and the board absolutely supports Zen 3 CPUs. You probably won't find old bords with old BIOS versions, but if you do AMD has you covered with an AMD CPU loan:

The NVME is just one I picked, you can freely swap any that fancies.

The case in this price range is seriously whatever, and most people buy the one that has a higher WAF.

I dont believe in ever building dated machines unless you have no choice -
Every machine will be "dated" in a few months. If you have a budget, then you have a budget.