Desktop Computers

Orcus_sl

shitlord
pair of 7800 GTs
Organized my tech stuff recently and actually found them, antiques from the pre-GTX era. Complete with aftermarket cooling
redface.png

rrr_img_99085.jpg

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Is it annoying like Win8 in its hybridness?

I actually like win8 for tablets and laptops, but for my gaming PC it just annoys me. I don't want my PC called my 'device,' for starters. And despite hours of manually going through services the thing won't stay asleep and kicks on and off often like a tablet or laptop trying to run updates, which is no problem for a tablet/laptop, but for my behemoth of a gaming system it's annoying and distracting to suddenly have VROOM and lights flashing when you're trying to watch a movie.

Get 10 or reinstall 7?

its more win7 than 8 but it still has some win 8 to it. Overall I like it quite a bit, at least compared to the little time I actually spent with 8. Granted I used 8 less than week total before going back to 7 when 8 came out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Organized my tech stuff recently and actually found them, antiques from the pre-GTX era. Complete with aftermarket cooling
redface.png
Pfft I still got a couple Voodoo 3 2000's sitting in my closet

That shit was straight money when it came out

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Pfft I still got a couple Voodoo 3 2000's sitting in my closet

That shit was straight money when it came out
Voodoo was so lustworthy, near the true beginning of the 3d gaming experience. I can't remember if they were the first ever card or not, but they were close.

Wish I still had my old rigs, a p90, an amd k6, a fcpga pentium, moved too many times to too many apartments, just couldn't keep up with it all.

I'm still haunted by the memory of my p90 system, the system I played MYST on, outside, rotting in a cardboard box on a balcony in the french quarter
frown.png
frown.png
frown.png
Wish I could go back and slap my 20something year old self in the back of the head and tell him to keep all of that stuff.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Voodoo were the first true 3d only cards. You had to have a dedicated 2d card to pair with the the original Voodoo's. I know because I upgraded my crappy 2d to a bad ass Matrox Millennium card. lol

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty up on sli setups these days, think I might even try my first tri-sli setup soon with another 970. My first sli setup was a pair of 7800 GTs, and things have never been better for sli imo. A pretty fluid and bug free experience compared to the old days I'd say.

edit: I should say I still consider sli more of an enhusiast type setup, so a higher tolerance for the occasional quirk or bug expected.
I will never understand why ID and their graphic engines just flat-out don't support multi-card setups. ID has always had a reputation at being at the bleeding edge of graphic technology, so that decision just baffles me. No SLI for Rage, Wolfenstein, etc. Other notable games with no SLI support at launch(but they got it eventually) were Titanfall, Dark Souls 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Planetside 2, Watch Dogs, etc. I just got sick of buying a new game and then having to wait anywhere from a couple days to a couple months to play it properly on the hardware I owned(or never, in the case of Wolfenstein)

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Voodoo were the first true 3d only cards. You had to have a dedicated 2d card to pair with the the original Voodoo's. I know because I upgraded my crappy 2d to a bad ass Matrox Millennium card. lol
they were also the first to do SLI of sorts if i remember correctly

Orcus_sl

shitlord
I will never understand why ID and their graphic engines just flat-out don't support multi-card setups. ID has always had a reputation at being at the bleeding edge of graphic technology, so that decision just baffles me. No SLI for Rage, Wolfenstein, etc. Other notable games with no SLI support at launch(but they got it eventually) were Titanfall, Dark Souls 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Planetside 2, Watch Dogs, etc. I just got sick of buying a new game and then having to wait anywhere from a couple days to a couple months to play it properly on the hardware I owned(or never, in the case of Wolfenstein)
I do remember the days of very poor sli support, and looks like there are still some issues, I just haven't played any of the games on that list aside from DS2. Played that on a gtx 690, which is technically sli, didn't notice a framerate issue so maybe just didn't notice it wasn't supported. Or maybe didn't start playing ds2 until after the first major patch or something, can't remember. Coincidentally, I started my SOTFS playthrough a few days ago. So fun!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
voodoo2 supported SLI (scan line interleave) every other line was rendered a card. The backs of pc's became crazy, b/c voodoo2 was still an addin card, so you had to use the 3in vga to vga from 2d card to voodoo, and you still had an internal ribbon cable.

it really didn't take off and it wasn't until 5 or 6 years later nvidia reintro'd SLI(stands for something different) and of course ATI had to follow up with crossfire.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, I had SLI 8MB Voodoo2 cards. Ran Mechwarrior 2 and Quake 2 like a god. I never ponied up for the ultra-expensive 12MB Voodoo 2 card though, lol. Worked great with my badass 2d Matrox Millenium 2MB. I actually kind of miss the days of having to look at benchmarks for both 3D accelerators, and 2D cards when building a PC. Matrox was the 2D king back in the mid to late 90s, until cards finally became all-in-one 2D and 3D.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yep, I had SLI 8MB Voodoo2 cards. Ran Mechwarrior 2 and Quake 2 like a god. I never ponied up for the ultra-expensive 12MB Voodoo 2 card though, lol. Worked great with my badass 2d Matrox Millenium 2MB. I actually kind of miss the days of having to look at benchmarks for both 3D accelerators, and 2D cards when building a PC. Matrox was the 2D king back in the mid to late 90s, until cards finally became all-in-one 2D and 3D.
I remember getting for Christmas one year a Voodoo 2 16mb, but I can't imagine my parents spending crazy money on it, so I assume it was longer after their release, and was cheaper at that point? Maybe it was 8mb. I remember installing it Christmas morning into my computer, and being worried that it wouldn't fit into my CPU tower at the time!

Memories is right!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Building a computer for my brother in law, trying to keep it in the ~$1500 price range.

Anything you guys would change out in the following?

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor($229.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler($27.98 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound:Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste($5.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage:Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive($123.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card:MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card($339.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case:Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply:EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply($101.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive:Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter:Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor:Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor($249.99 @ Micro Center)
Total:$1551.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-02 09:29 EDT-0400
Very personal opinions:

Would drop the HD and just get a bigger SSD unless there's a specific need for large file storage most people just get lazy and become digital hoarders who don't actually need the space, and if space is needed I prefer remote solutions these days.

Can save money in multiple places waiting for deals 12-15 optical drives routinely on Newegg. Waiting/shopping for rebates. Can get PSU as good for cheaper especially if willing to do mail-in rebates. Are cheaper cases just as good unless that's a direct choice (which it always should be if building for someone, imo).

I've never been convinced paying for thermal paste was that big a benefit, as the stuff that comes with coolers has always done me just fine and unless you're going all out and delidding I've just never seen the gains as anything but minimal.

That MB actually has a really good network setup, so wouldn't need an extra adapter (can even make a hotspot out of it if you have a hardline come in, if I recall, but either way I have that MB and it gets a better wifi connection than any device or adapter I've ever had).

The stock intel coolers really aren't bad unless you're OCing or really trying to keep sound/noise down, then I personally have loved the closed-loop-cooler I got as it keeps my CPU cooler, quieter, which I value more than OC most of the time anyhow. Can usually get a Hyper 212 for half that cost, though, just depends on how much you're wanting to play with the build, shop for deals and save.

I'm still not convinced 16gb or RAM is needed, especially paying for a higher clock and BS heat spreader more jagged than a meth heads mouth.

I'm cheap and don't like components I won't use, to the point I even cut out an optical drive my last build and haven't had any issues.

Overall, would have no problem building that system with someone else's budget, but I'd personally trim quite a bit from it and possible put it toward a gsync monitor.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've also never purchased aftermarket thermal paste, and have been overclocking CPUs for decades. I just use whatever comes on whatever cooler/fan I buy, and it always does just fine.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
GTX970 just came in. I'll replace it with a Pascal maybe later or just do a total rebuild when the time comes.