Desktop Computers

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Hopefully some minor support for Zen3 on X470 trickles out for the bigger name boards. Though even if not one can still plop in a probably cheapish Zen 2, still a decent step up from Zen+. One good thing is new Ryzen 4000 desktop 8 core APUs will be Zen 2 based.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Funny enough at Raytheon we had pallets of old ps2 mechanical IBM keyboards with the curley wires. A lot of the military cabinets had super heavy duty built in mech keyboards too

If they're the right type (buckling spring versions of the model M in particular) they can easily go for well over $100 on ebay these days. I own a few and they're something else, they feel like you could beat someone to death with it. Weighs more than my laptop.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Expect that all modern keyboards will use a minimum polling rate of 125 Hz (8ms), some will be higher or support variable settings of 250, 500, 1000 Hz. You will get some performance boost from a higher polling rate but it's not going to be a straight 8-4-2-1ms drop. With a high quality keyboard (1000Hz/1ms polling) and excellently coded game you can get a 10-15ms response from press to action on screen. But a standard keyboard USB vs PS/2 you would see something like 30ms drop to 20ms because getting below that is entirely reliant on the hardware/coding and not just the connection.

That's crazy there are people who notice this stuff. I've always had peanut butter relfexes, even when I was very young, so this is lost on me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
WOW...people are paying absurd prices for GTX 1070's. One just like mine sold for $250. Why? A 2070 is only $100 more.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When I sold mine on reddir for $185 I shit you not it sold in under 3 minutes. I realized immediately I undervalued it, but no turning back. I got like 10 PMs instantly when I put it up.

The guy said usually they go for 200-225 which I guess technically is half retail. I don't know why he wanted it

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Okay guys, maybe you could help me with one last piece of advice. I was originally going for an ASUS TUF X570 motherboard with Wi-Fi built in. I still can't find it anywhere. If I had to order a motherboard by the end of the day tomorrow, what would you guys suggest around the same level? It was originally going to be about $190, and I probably couldn't go above $250 on the price point and that's if I really had to. Wi-Fi built in is a must. Other than that, I don't really care but it needs to be AM4 and otherwise compatible. I haven't used motherboards in a decade and don't realize if I'm looking at fluff or bullshit half the time, but I do understand it having the parts I need at minimum.

Quick reference for compatbility - 2070 Super GFX. 32GB Ram (2x16GB). 750w PSU. Ryzen 3700x CPU. Noctua NH-L9a AM4 fan.

I know I've been talking about this shit in my last couple of posts, but even the other motherboards I was going to buy were sold out too. Atleast for me. None of the web stores you guys were linking actually had the product for me. The one that worked said that is was pick up in store only, and I dont have a Microcenter in my location. New Orleans, Louisiana area.

Thank you so much if anyone can help me pick a good motherboard by tomorrow...

edit; also some people are having a ton of trouble finding parts right now, might explain why people are overpaying to just be done with it and have the part. I know I am in that boat right now. That being said, seems like 1070s are not that hard to find, but who knows.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Check after a restock, was Tuesday or Thursday afternoons on Newegg last year iirc. Don't wanna panic buy the wrong board or get drilled on pricing.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Corona quarantine almost over here, society opening up monday, gradually. Prices on used desktops are dropping, so ordered a gutted Lenovo M900 Tiny. Thinking I’ll put my old I5 6600 and maybe 16-32 gb ram in it, old 1tb sammy m2 and a random ssd for it. Planning on using it as a server, plex-something-media, maybe minecraft for the kids.

What os should I run on it? Windoze 10? Been a decade since I dabbled in linux. What do you use your home servers for?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What os should I run on it? Windoze 10? Been a decade since I dabbled in linux. What do you use your home servers for?

I use an old Dell workstation as a Plex server. I don't know shit about Linux but I tossed Ubuntu on it and got it up and running with a bit of googling. Hardest part was getting it to see my NAS. Might as well start off running Linux and if you don't like it you can get a cheap Windows key.

• 1Solidarity

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Okay guys, maybe you could help me with one last piece of advice. I was originally going for an ASUS TUF X570 motherboard with Wi-Fi built in. I still can't find it anywhere. If I had to order a motherboard by the end of the day tomorrow, what would you guys suggest around the same level? It was originally going to be about $190, and I probably couldn't go above $250 on the price point and that's if I really had to. Wi-Fi built in is a must. Other than that, I don't really care but it needs to be AM4 and otherwise compatible. I haven't used motherboards in a decade and don't realize if I'm looking at fluff or bullshit half the time, but I do understand it having the parts I need at minimum.

Quick reference for compatbility - 2070 Super GFX. 32GB Ram (2x16GB). 750w PSU. Ryzen 3700x CPU. Noctua NH-L9a AM4 fan.

I know I've been talking about this shit in my last couple of posts, but even the other motherboards I was going to buy were sold out too. Atleast for me. None of the web stores you guys were linking actually had the product for me. The one that worked said that is was pick up in store only, and I dont have a Microcenter in my location. New Orleans, Louisiana area.

Thank you so much if anyone can help me pick a good motherboard by tomorrow...

edit; also some people are having a ton of trouble finding parts right now, might explain why people are overpaying to just be done with it and have the part. I know I am in that boat right now. That being said, seems like 1070s are not that hard to find, but who knows.

1 in stock (so maybe none)...no onboard wifi...

The MSI BIOS is decent.

Last edited:

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Thanks, so, much, for the, input, Crone.

Just kidding lmao. Yeah after doing some digging, you're right but ultimately I think I'm going to go with this Samsung m.2 2280 (970?) 1TB SSD. I got a deal at $140, hard to pass up. Going to put in an extra 2TB hard drive since those are relatively affordable now. $50-60 is nothing for storage like that. Last time I looked at prices for 2TB HD the shit was like $500. Things change so quickly sometimes with tech, I feel like a complete dumbass learning things all over. Picking it up quickly though.

All in all, doing a 3700X with 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM. 570X Asus MOBO. Corsair 750W Power Supply. 2070 Super from GIGABYTE, I like the triple fan. I hope it's not just marketing bullshit, as it seems like it helps the air flow. NH-U12S Noctua fan most likely, only piece at this point that is still somewhat up in the air. All packing into a Lian Li 011 Dynamic case in white. RAM/GFX card and whatever other pieces I can reasonbly find will also be in white. Rest in black for a B/W minimalist combo. Any LEDs will be changed to a soft white or whatever looks good, no bright rainbow RGB shit. Razer Mercury edition mouse. Razer Blackwidow KB with all the keys replaced to be Razer Mercury White, so the steel case of the keyboard is gunmetal blackish and the keys will be a white matching the mouse. I already owned the keyboard, so the keys were only $30.

Ending up spending a bit more money than I said I would. I assume this happens to everyone. Everytime I think 'this is it' and get ready to pull the trigger, I find something to upgrade or some excuse to spend $40-60 somewhere on something and justify it somehow. Lol.

Now to account for shipping costs and wait for it all to come together and finish this shit. Sad thing is, first games I'm going to load and play are old as fuck with shitty graphics and I have accepted that I hate myself for it lmao, is what it is. DoTA, Final Fantasy Tactics emulation, old CRPGs and Pillars of Eternity, ahhh...can't wait. I will absolutely max this thing out when Cyberpunk and shit comes out though.

Thanks to everyone for the help, I went from remembering jack all about any of this shit to getting very close to my dream build in a very short amount of time. Hell yeah.

edit; also thanks for steering me towards the 3700X. Looks like I really got a deal and that's exactly the performance I need. Biting the bullet with Windows 10 sucks dick but whatever. I'll mod the fuck out of it.

I did this build a few weeks ago. So happy with it. Got the 34 ultra wide Alienware to really make it shine!

enjoy your rig!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I did this build a few weeks ago

I did essentially the same last week. Finally having a decent graphics card, I pulled Rise of the Tomb Raider out of my Steam backlog. It was very pretty, but certain game areas were very choppy. Seemed to be a CPU bottleneck.

A couple hours of hair pulling later, it turns out I'd put my RAM into the wrong slots and they were running in single channel mode. Moved one over and now everything is silky smooth and my memory benchmarks went from 0th to 60th percentile for the model.

Read your fucking manuals, kids!

Last edited:

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I did essentially the same last week. It was very pretty, but I was vaguely dissatisfied with the performance. Finally having a decent graphics card, I pulled Rise of the Tomb Raider out of my Steam backlog and noticed certain game areas were very choppy.

A couple hours of hair pulling later, it turns out I'd put my RAM into the wrong slots and they were running in single channel mode. Moved one over and now everything is silky smooth and my memory benchmarks went from 0th to 60th percentile for the model.

Read your fucking manuals, kids!

Hilarious. i had a similar situation.

I was experiencing a stuttering problem with video and it starched to chug when i had a few things running at the same time.
Turns out they forgot to enable XPM on my Ram. Turned that on and it works like a dream now.

i used Home - UserBenchmark and it confirmed the ram was under performing. was at 36th now at 66th!

Glad you got it fixed! happy gaming! try Doom Enteral!

Fucker

Log Wizard
Hilarious. i had a similar situation.

I was experiencing a stuttering problem with video and it starched to chug when i had a few things running at the same time.
Turns out they forgot to enable XPM on my Ram. Turned that on and it works like a dream now.

i used Home - UserBenchmark and it confirmed the ram was under performing. was at 36th now at 66th!

Glad you got it fixed! happy gaming! try Doom Enteral!

I knew a guy who was the world's biggest computer expert. His CPU ran hot and wouldn't OC at all. He put a ton of thermal compound over the thermal pad on the heatsink. I cleaned it up and it OC'd like a champ.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
What am I looking at in that video? Lol

also, this is agony. Wait 10 years to finally buy a PC. Have all the money and everything I need. Can't find motherboard in stock anywhere. Lol. FML

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
May as well wait till winter, new parts in all if you got the money saved.

• 1Like