Desktop Computers

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
I think gonna take him way longer than that for his first build when you consider research time. Combine that with the (small) risk factor, and $50 is easily justifiable for me.
I would have loved to have taken it in to have it built, but car crapped out ($), so i decided to build it myself...

And I have a problem:

Put it all together, plugged in all the wires. Push the power button, the fans start spinning, the PSU fan is spinning, the CPU fan almost starts but doesnt, then a few seconds later it shuts off. A few seconds later it turns on again, and same thing. Going to take it all apart and start from scratch. I don't think it is a short because the case already has standoffs. I checked to make sure the CPU is seated correctly and it is.

I tried it with the GPU unplugged, and with only one stick of RAM. Same thing.

Could it be a short? Gona start taking it apart and build it again.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I would have loved to have taken it in to have it built, but car crapped out ($), so i decided to build it myself...

And I have a problem:

Put it all together, plugged in all the wires. Push the power button, the fans start spinning, the PSU fan is spinning, the CPU fan almost starts but doesnt, then a few seconds later it shuts off. A few seconds later it turns on again, and same thing. Going to take it all apart and start from scratch. I don't think it is a short because the case already has standoffs. I checked to make sure the CPU is seated correctly and it is.

I tried it with the GPU unplugged, and with only one stick of RAM. Same thing.

Could it be a short? Gona start taking it apart and build it again.
Coupla things off the top of my head:

BIOS might need to be flashed to support the CPU.

CPU fan not plugged into correct header on mainboard.

RAM or RAM slot might be defective. Try different sticks in different slots.

Mainboard backplane grounding tabs improperly aligned, causing short.

Incorrect mainboard standoffs installed. Check the pattern on the mainboard and make sure it matches the pattern on the chassis. Also, make sure the standoffs are all the same height. I bought a chassis that had two different standoff heights installed from the factory.

If aftermarket heatsink is installed, make sure components on the back side of the motherboard aren't touching unshielded parts of the aftermarket cooler. Usually component pins on the motherboard too tall/improperly spaced, causing short.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Just took it apart and re-built it. The standoffs are part of the case, so can't adjust them.

CPU fan in correct header.

Tried each RAM by themselves in each slot, same result.

Stock CPU heatsink.

Tested PSU with paperclip, PSU seems fine.

Took out all the RAM and tried to run it, same result (dead mobo?)

Guess I gotta bite the bullet and have the pro's do it. Where's the cheapest place? Bestbuys I think is like 120$. Frys is about 100$ also. I'll call some local computer stores and ask their rate.

In the PartsPicker notes, it states: "Some Intel H81 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs" ---- Does that mean I need to flash the bios?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8rCD7P

How do I update the BIOS if I can't reach the POST screen?

Jovec

?
How do I update the BIOS if I can't reach the POST screen?
What board? A 9x chipset should be good to go out of the box, but 8x will likely require an upgrade.

A few boards can update the BIOS without a CPU installed, but usually you are out of luck. Some have been known to buy the cheapest CPU just to do the upgrade, or borrow a suitable chip from someone you might know.

Edit: Saw your parts link, yes, you'll likely need a BIOS flash.

Further Edit: Something's not right. The Supported CPU list for that mobo (assuming I have the correct one), shows F3 as the only BIOS. Either the page is wrong (and isn't listing earlier BIOS revs for original Haswell) or F3 is the only rev and your CPU should be supported.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
PSU passed paperclip test.

I took out all the RAM, pressed power, same result. Possibly a dead mobo? Whatever, just gona send it back as dead on arrival. If it's not dead, they'll send it back.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
100% is the unsupported motherboard bios. I had the same problem with a gigabyte h81 motherboard and a new generation i3. Take your motherboard to a friend that has first gen haswel and do a quick bios update.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Damn. My only buddy with a custom rig has nothing but the newest hardware.

I just msg a local computer whiz who has a small business. I'll see if he could do it.

Update: Took it to a local IT expert. He tried all sorts of things. Used voltmeters or whatever they are. His assessment is dead motherboard or socket. Looks like i'll be sending it in for a replacement. I asked about the Bios and he said there is about a 2% chance it's bios related.

We'll see what happens once I get my replacement, probably by the end of the week.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Which promo code? They've been pushing the 840 Evo hard, with some really good deals at all sizes. 15% off 'select' SSD include the 840 Evos with EMCPCWB22. That takes the 1tb one to like $407, though, so you must have another code.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Taking another look says it already expired on the 17.

GWtLFkb.png

spronk

FPS noob
Damn. My only buddy with a custom rig has nothing but the newest hardware.

I just msg a local computer whiz who has a small business. I'll see if he could do it.

Update: Took it to a local IT expert. He tried all sorts of things. Used voltmeters or whatever they are. His assessment is dead motherboard or socket. Looks like i'll be sending it in for a replacement. I asked about the Bios and he said there is about a 2% chance it's bios related.

We'll see what happens once I get my replacement, probably by the end of the week.
were all the front connectors plugged in? when i built my 2nd previous rig it wouldn't POST unless I had the reset and power button headers plugged in, even though the motherboard has a giant on button in it. when i build a new rig i like to layout the mobo on a piece of cardboard and plugin just the minimum things and use the onboard video to make sure the CPU is seated ok, memory is ok, and the system gets me into the bios. only after that do I start hooking up case, video card, fans, drives, etc

but yeah last rig I just had a local shop assemble it all for me for $75, i'm a total klutz and every time I fuck around with my PC I end up bleeding all over the goddamn place and my fat fingers make my cabling look like kurt cobain's brains. get a small asian kid to put together your pc, their tiny hands are built for precise layout

Inque

FunEmployed
Cause most people don't check the Shit I Sell thread...

Selling anVG278HE 144hz 3D Asus monitorthat is lightly used (bought approx 3 months ago), with all original parts for best offer (would like to recoup at least $250+S&H).

I also have an H100i that is not being used if someone is in need of a cooling system (still has 4 year warranty on it), $50+S&H OBO.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
were all the front connectors plugged in? when i built my 2nd previous rig it wouldn't POST unless I had the reset and power button headers plugged in, even though the motherboard has a giant on button in it. when i build a new rig i like to layout the mobo on a piece of cardboard and plugin just the minimum things and use the onboard video to make sure the CPU is seated ok, memory is ok, and the system gets me into the bios. only after that do I start hooking up case, video card, fans, drives, etc

but yeah last rig I just had a local shop assemble it all for me for $75, i'm a total klutz and every time I fuck around with my PC I end up bleeding all over the goddamn place and my fat fingers make my cabling look like kurt cobain's brains. get a small asian kid to put together your pc, their tiny hands are built for precise layout
Decided to just buy a new mobo. Read reviews for RMA from superbiiz (do not buy from this vendor!!!), most people had to wait for 2 weeks to hear back.

Bought a decent Gigabyte mobo from Frys, rebuilt the rig in about 10 minutes, all good and up and running.

Probably not going to buy hardware online anymore. RMA is just a hassle.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Decided to just buy a new mobo. Read reviews for RMA from superbiiz (do not buy from this vendor!!!), most people had to wait for 2 weeks to hear back.

Bought a decent Gigabyte mobo from Frys, rebuilt the rig in about 10 minutes, all good and up and running.

Probably not going to buy hardware online anymore. RMA is just a hassle.
I know it seems like a pain now, but I've built 6 complete PCs from scratch in the last 3 years (mine and 5 friends) and I have not had a single piece of defective hardware that I had to return. Now, to be fair I bought all the processors and motherboards locally at Microcenter, but everything else was ordered via newegg or tigerdirect on all 6 PCs.

Defective parts really are pretty rare. If you just build your own Pcs every 3 or 4 years, you might go half your life without a defective product.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
It's my fault from ordering from said company. I researched them, but not enough. Apparently others have had many problems with them, especially when it comes to RMA. Always best to order from the most reputable. Not worth taking chances. Live and learn, and carry on.

But I did learn a lot about computers and parts though. I found it enjoyable.

Silence_sl

shitlord
It's my fault from ordering from said company. I researched them, but not enough. Apparently others have had many problems with them, especially when it comes to RMA. Always best to order from the most reputable. Not worth taking chances. Live and learn, and carry on.

But I did learn a lot about computers and parts though. I found it enjoyable.
I order only from Amazon. Fuck Newegg and the rest. I had two defective items. Both times, they had replacements at my door in less than 24 hours. Zero hassle returns.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Newegg was a lot more fun when I had 2 years of a free Shoprunner account. Now shipping takes forever (where forever is like 4 days instead of the next morning.)

Silence_sl

shitlord
lolwut. Nothing wrong with NewEgg. Comparing NewEgg to Superbiiz is stupid.

I've had zero hassles with NewEgg, hell haven't even had a defective item from them.
Newegg sucks. Their CS is combative at best. They shipped two NICs in a plastic envelope...nothing else. I ordered a drive and it came loose in a box with a single thin layer of bubble wrap over the oem blister package. I didn't bother using it, and they tried to jack me on shipping. Shipping is another issue. It's never 3 days from tracking. 4-5 days all the time. Their prices suck, unless it's a combo deal, or whatever.

Amazon is what Newegg used to be; fast, cheap, no headaches.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
rrr_img_71737.jpg

You seem irate. I've never had an issue with them. Their prices used to be great, sure. But that is what PC Part Picker and SlickDeals is for anyways. If they have the best price/deal/whatever I still order from them. Most of the time I get my CPUs/Mobos/HDDs from MicroCenter and the rest of the items come from a mix of either NewEgg or Amazon.