Desktop Computers

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Newegg was a lot more fun when I had 2 years of a free Shoprunner account. Now shipping takes forever (where forever is like 4 days instead of the next morning.)
They be only a few minutes from me house. Order early before cut off time then go pick up merch later on. Traffic sucks near their warehouse though and its in the SGV too =/.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Better yet, eBay has some real good reputable system building companies that are pretty cheap. They build and set it all up. Probably what I'll do if in the distant future.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Their CS is combative at best.
I haven't had issues with them, ever, from 10 years ago when they were amazing to now when they're still pretty good (though not as good as they used to be). I built a full system through them last year and got quick price matches (so saying their prices aren't good is just lazy?). One issue that came up was them not wanting to price match something due to a promo code situation, but I showed they already had done the same thing for me once that month, and they clarified what the policy is supposed to be, apologized for the confusion, and price matched it anyway. Then Fry's had a sale overnight where an i7 was 279.99, I figured it wasn't even something they'd price match by policy, but tried anyways. They said no, I called CS, they not only refunded the difference, but sent me a beanie cap (that's actually pretty nice) for being such a valued customer.

Add to that not having to pay taxes because Newegg had the balls to tell states demanding taxes to fuck off is even more win.

Then again, I've worked in retail dealing with assholes all day where we refused to price match or do refunds because they come in like entitled assholes. So there's that side of the coin, too. Then again I also got that recent BestBuy deal where they priced matched the Razer mouse to 49.99, with the #50 dollar steam card, and when I picked it up and asked for a receipt the guy even assured me it was safe to use the steam card if I really needed to return the mouse because they weren't linked on a gift receipt.

More flies with honey, or some shit?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So great, it needs to be posted twice
smile.png

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
HaHa at the wii. ok, that was awesome.

On a serious note, I am at that time when I need to replace the computer I have. I have a question.

Is there "Any" site that does prebuilts that are both of good value and quality service? It seems like every site I go to has complaints either about how they ship the computers, to how long it takes to get them and how horrible their service is when something goes wrong. Alienware used to be the best company, but I have read a lot of horror stories since Dell took over them. There are sites that look fantastic. I love the custom cases and such but I also love a system that does what it is ordered to do.

If not then I guess I need to find a place local that builds but most of these places will charge 10%-15% of cost for the service. This adds up fast for a $1200+ system.

Is now a good time to build a system or should I wait for the new DDR4 boards to come out thus driving down the other prices?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why not build it yourself? It's been said in this thread many times that it's easy, there are a ton of resources, and at the end of it, them feels are so good for having done it yourself. Why be afraid of it?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
DDR4 is years away from mattering. Like... Lots of years.

This is the best value pre-built I've personally seen:Digital Storm VANQUISH II Custom Performance PC
Thats not a bad deal. I tried to build a PC close to the one they have for sale for $979. Here's close to the same thing, but with a slightly better CPU/Mobo/PSU:

Intel Core i5-4670, EVGA GeForce GTX 760, Corsair 300R - System Build - PCPartPicker

$902. So really, you're maybe paying a $100 premium for pre-assembled. That isn't unreasonable.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I like on the Digital Storm site where they say "Extreme Cooling" then "Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan." That really is extreme!

My guess is if you played the market for a few weeks, subscribing to Newegg emails, watching prices to price match, scouring bundles etc, you could save more than the $100 difference between the linked build and pcpartpicker. I think I was $300 or more under the 'list' price just plugging things in to pcpartpicker on my build last fall, but that was being anal about watching prices daily, having a range of components to build with, actually mailing in rebates, etc. If you care about saving money or that sounds like part of the fun, why not give it a go?

If Dell weren't involved, would you go Alienware? Because they've never really been considered a cheaper custom builder, and you might consider even a more expensive place like Falcon NW to be a good value because they're good quality and good warranties and stuff like that, even though they're expensive. Hell, they'll even get you a stable, tested OC if you want them to.

Are you interested in buying/building yourself or is that completely off the table? Some people just aren't too eager because they've never done it, and some people refuse. Gotta know that first, I suppose, because building yourself is usually always the first option for situations like this.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thank you all for the help. I went ahead and contacted a friend of mine who has experience in building computers. We are taking a trip to a Tiger Direct store about 25 minutes away and will just shop for the individual components. He will help me put it all together. I think in the end this will be the best and cheapest way to get a system with the specs I want minus all the stuff I would not care all that much for.

Going to go with a Core I-7, 16 gig ram DDR 3 and a Geforce GTX 760 with a 750 corsair power supply. Probably going with a 2 TB hard drive but we will see what is available at what price. I figure that set up will last me many years. I already have a copy of Win 7 and can just use that for now. I can pull the optical drive off my old computer. The case will be based on what is there and even might revolve around the clearance section.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Pretty sure all Digital Storm products come with a 3 year warranty, too.
My last computer was a Digital Storm. They do come with a 3 year warranty but you have to pay to ship it there or just the part if you are comfortable with removing it. The customer service is excellent. You don't get some Indian reading from a book but one of the people that actually builds the computers. I also think you get lifetime cutsomer support over the phone.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Newegg was a lot more fun when I had 2 years of a free Shoprunner account. Now shipping takes forever (where forever is like 4 days instead of the next morning.)
I live close enough to the Newegg distribution centers that it's practically overnight shipping (lived a few hours from Memphis, and now a few hours from City of Industry).

That Steam thing is kind of cool. I guess I'm the average Steam user, outside of the video card where mine is getting a bit old (Radeon 7850).

Yesterday morning my monitor wouldn't turn on. It kept going black, even though the power light was on. It eventually worked, and this morning was fine. But now I'm thinking I should probably consider upgrading. I think I've had this one for like 7 years. What should I be looking for? It's been forever since I had to buy a monitor. Any particular manufacturers to avoid?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yesterday morning my monitor wouldn't turn on. It kept going black, even though the power light was on. It eventually worked, and this morning was fine. But now I'm thinking I should probably consider upgrading. I think I've had this one for like 7 years. What should I be looking for? It's been forever since I had to buy a monitor. Any particular manufacturers to avoid?
Depends on what games you play. Got any examples?

Wuwei_sl

shitlord
Yesterday morning my monitor wouldn't turn on. It kept going black, even though the power light was on. It eventually worked, and this morning was fine. But now I'm thinking I should probably consider upgrading.
I've had this issue several times with a newer monitor also (2 year old). Finally, I cleaned the dust off the GPU and it has worked fine again since.. but I'm not computer literate enough to know if there is a relevance or not (combined with a hot, high humidity climate?).