Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I think you guys are going about getting loot the wrong way. They obviously made it so engrams are not the primary way of getting BiS gear - farming some respawning enemies for hours just seems ineffecient if your going to get blues out of the engrams anyways.

Do strikes and raids with buddies, have some fun, cap your marks, buy your guaranteed legionaries that way. This is obviously how they intended people to get loot - which basically means they expect you to take 3-4 weeks at least to get BiS gear.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The game has a problem given that doing strikes is simply not worth it if you are trying to upgrade anything. If you aren't off chasing engrams at one of the established farm spots and doing trivial public events for marks then you are simply failing at the game.

I'd rather do the strikes for upgrades, but right now there is no point to do them unless you have some Exotic bounty that requires it.
This is so true. I've maxed my VG marks and now I have zero reason to do strikes. If I want reputation I'd do Public Event farming and even then I'm nearly to VGR3 where reputation no longer matters. I can't even do the Raid's because I have to hold onto 200 marks/crucible points until Xur shows up so that I don't waste my marks buying something I will immediately replace on Friday.

There need to be changes and here are some I would suggest

I think I get why Xur is limited to weekends so they can ensure an active weekend playerbase but they need change his rewards to things like Ascendant Shards, motes of lights, Exotic Quest Starters that you could buy, and forced rarity items that when applied to an engram would remove one of the tiers below the engrams rarity. So a purple engram could have any possibility of blue/greens dropping from it removed entirely if you applied this item to it twice. Make it an expensive item sure but put it in nonetheless.

Then I would remove some of the RNG and add more progression to Light level 50 including harder modes with more heroic modifiers. I don't know about some of you but the weekly heroic with Arc burn was actually faster and more fun (allspite dangerous) then the normal version. I would be perfectly happy to have more heroics like that with more modifiers and more consistent rewards. You could still make the rewards rare but at least consistent. Try rewarding 1 Strange Coin per win and 3 Strange coins per win with zero party deaths for starters. Limited to once per difficulty per strike. Combine that with the engram modifying item I mentioned above and at least we could have decent progression then.

And to keep people from getting bored just add in more Heroic Modifiers and make them even crazier. Throw in some special effects that we need consumables to counter (it's not like glimmer is that important right now anyway) and allow us to earn Grimmorie card ranks that make the consumables last longer for glimmer cost. Add in exotic cloaks/armbraces/titan things that counter some effects or make consumables last longer.

This is all stuff you could do with the game now before we even get to adding more content.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I think you guys are going about getting loot the wrong way. They obviously made it so engrams are not the primary way of getting BiS gear - farming some respawning enemies for hours just seems ineffecient if your going to get blues out of the engrams anyways.

Do strikes and raids with buddies, have some fun, cap your marks, buy your guaranteed legionaries that way. This is obviously how they intended people to get loot - which basically means they expect you to take 3-4 weeks at least to get BiS gear.
Strikes yield the worse loot for your time atm so naw, and there is no fun involved usually for normal strikes after seeing the same setting 10x or more.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I know I'm a casual when I have no clue what anyone is talking or complaining about in this thread.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Any guaranteed way to get motes of light?! I'm almost light lvl 26 and only have like 12, haha. Also, still need to do the heroic weekly if anyone is down tonight?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any guaranteed way to get motes of light?! I'm almost light lvl 26 and only have like 12, haha. Also, still need to do the heroic weekly if anyone is down tonight?
Motes of Light come from each level you earn above level 20. So do all of your dailles for those massive experience bumps (and chance at an exotic bounty) then go to one of the popular grind spots and grind engrams. They sometimes decrypt into motes of light.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I play 3-4 hours a night and am level 22, and I have zero chance of capping my Vanguard and Crucible marks every week - I'm totally fine in maybe earning 1 Legendary per week through marks at that pace. Most of the issues people seem to be having are playing a ton and hitting this loot wall that I don't think the majority of players are going to have issue with.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
So I have a twenty two hunter and twenty two warlock. Hunter basically did all story and warlock did Pvp bounties to level. Both have spent about four hours farming. Have yet to see a legendary drop at all.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I know I'm a casual when I have no clue what anyone is talking or complaining about in this thread.
King Tormax drops a shit ton of cloth caps, when you go to your monk gm he gives you the 1ac cap instead of the 2ac. Sometimes he gives you a bonechip instead of a cloth cap but theres a 3% chance he will give you his crown.

Needless

Toe Sucker
King Tormax drops a shit ton of cloth caps, when you go to your monk gm he gives you the 1ac cap instead of the 2ac. Sometimes he gives you a bonechip instead of a cloth cap but theres a 3% chance he will give you his crown.
I enjoy this translation, it's kind of infuriating and makes us pleb level ~13s understand.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

That gear is poorly itemized and pigeonholes you into using guns you may not like. I don't want to use scout rifles on my titan, but the Vanguard armor gives me no other choice--and even then I still have no boots option. Really wish there were exotic boots, but they don't exist at all yet.

Qhue has it exactly right. The problem is that there is literally no actual loot rewards for doing any of the PVE content except for the weekly nightfall. Weekly heroic gives 3 coins, once, and no loot whatsoever. Strike playlists cap out at level 20 blues with probably a 1% or less chance of a legendary/exotic. Queuing for specific strikes is completely pointless since you can only choose Easy mode. Story missions give absolutely nothing except marks, which I capped out on in 3-4 hours on Tuesday. PEs give a decent amount of materials (until you hit the invisible daily hard cap) and cap your marks quickly, but don't reward loot.

Everything else comes from killing enemies and there's no better way to get loot than to kill massive hordes of trivial mobs for engrams in the vain hope that you'll hit the lottery for once. There's no difference between killing a L8 and killing a L24 as far as that goes.

I still haven't gotten a single exotic bounty in the mail despite doing them all every day on two characters, soon to be three. I don't care if you play 2 hours a day or 15, once you hit 20 you should be able to easily see how there are far too many layers of RNG stacked upon each other in this game's loot system. Unless of course you have the same luck as Grumpus.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You can actually get more coins on the weekly heroic if you bump up the difficulty. Three more for every extra bump up.
Right, but afaik there's still no chance for any actual loot from doing them, which means you do them once each and then there's no reason to go back until next Tuesday. Assuming you can actually get into any level above 22 that is. I can solo the 22 but it won't even let me in the door for 26 or 28 yet.

Edit: Also, from what I saw on Reddit you can only get 9 coins max from doing that. So there's no reason to do the 22 or 26 if you can complete the 28.