Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Leon

<Silver Donator>
People have been saying "oh legendaries are just there to rip the orange stat off and put it onto a rare" but in my experience the stats rolled on the legendary are vastly more useful than what rolls on any rare I've seen. Like getting up to 3 different +1 skills affixes for example (and not just +1 to one skill, it's mainly been +1 to the whole tier of skills). I think the best rare I've seen so far has had +1 to two individual skills and that's it.

What's the point of rares then?

Can a rare EVER find its way into a build? I don't think we know yet, but everything points to 'no' knowing what we know about blizard game design.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah that's what they did with D3, Sets were the build defining items ,and they completley pigeon holed everyone into playing the exact same items and farming was just about + paragon and + gooder on the exact same items.

This seems headed exactly the same way.

I'm not asking every new AARPG to have the insane diversity of builds POE has because that's just unrealistic, but there HAS to be a middle of the road compromise between D3 and POE, this isn't headed that way from what i can tell, this is headed exactly the D3 way. Blues and yellows are going to be crafting 'mats' fodder, legendaries are going to be the uniques of D2 but more uninspired and completely useless since not tradeable and usable at lower levels, and the new flavor will be the build defining items that sets were, which will limit the number of builds possible per class to a handful.

Bind on equip, bind on account, dailies, weeklies etc have no fucking place in AARPG.

"Handful of builds per class" so lets say there are 2 or 3 builds per class and 5 classes. That's 10-15 "viable builds". You think there are significantly more than (or even as many as) 10-15 viable builds per league in PoE? Shit, for a long time there were significantly less than 10 viable builds per league, and even now with a decade of full release and however long on top it was in closed and open beta for, I doubt you could get 15 "viable builds" per league in any meaningful sense and that's even if you allow for "x skill instead of y is a different build even though they play identically and gear identically but only use the 1 different main skill gem".

I seriously wonder if everyone who has been in this thread talking about how amazing PoE is and how no other arpg comes close to it has ever actually played the game.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Juvarisx

Florida
"Handful of builds per class" so lets say there are 2 or 3 builds per class and 5 classes. That's 10-15 "viable builds". You think there are significantly more than (or even as many as) 10-15 viable builds per league in PoE? Shit, for a long time there were significantly less than 10 viable builds per league, and even now with a decade of full release and however long on top it was in closed and open beta for, I doubt you could get 15 "viable builds" per league in any meaningful sense and that's even if you allow for "x skill instead of y is a different build even though they play identically and gear identically but only use the 1 different main skill gem".

I seriously wonder if everyone who has been in this thread talking about how amazing PoE is and how no other arpg comes close to it has ever actually played the game.

Theres like 5 that can do everything in PoE (incl all uber ubers) without getting into the stupid 200ex per item builds that might as well not exist to 99.9% of the player base. 1 has been around so long and is so fucking irritating and boring to play (Boneshatter) that it might be the worst build to actually try to enjoy a game with.

If 15 builds per season that can do all content come out of this game I would be over the moon and play it all of the time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I gotta say that I am a bit disappointed that orange drops are once-again the default way to play the game starting at level 10 or so.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Can a rare EVER find its way into a build? I don't think we know yet, but everything points to 'no' knowing what we know about blizard game design.
Endgame 5 affix rares with a legendary mod extracted from a legendary are supposed to be the best items.

So basically you need to find a rare with 4 strong affixes you want, reroll the 5th affix until you get what you want in that slot, then put a legendary mod onto the item in order to get a true endgame item.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
There would be more build variety and greater interest if you could trade items with interesting affixes so that people could try out different builds.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Endgame 5 affix rares with a legendary mod extracted from a legendary are supposed to be the best items.

So basically you need to find a rare with 4 strong affixes you want, reroll the 5th affix until you get what you want in that slot, then put a legendary mod onto the item in order to get a true endgame item.

I thought I saw that when you apply an affix it is the minimum % versus when you loot an item with it there’s a possibility of 20% versus say 10%.

• 1Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>

Ok.

That actually gets me slightly optimistic.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was running the Derelict Lodge this morning, ran across a "Mutterlock Chest", which had you select from a list of phrases. Picked the wrong one of course, since I couldn't find anything online about it (Vemp di palox).

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah that's what they did with D3, Sets were the build defining items ,and they completley pigeon holed everyone into playing the exact same items and farming was just about + paragon and + gooder on the exact same items.

This seems headed exactly the same way.

I'm not asking every new AARPG to have the insane diversity of builds POE has because that's just unrealistic, but there HAS to be a middle of the road compromise between D3 and POE, this isn't headed that way from what i can tell, this is headed exactly the D3 way. Blues and yellows are going to be crafting 'mats' fodder, legendaries are going to be the uniques of D2 but more uninspired and completely useless since not tradeable and usable at lower levels, and the new flavor will be the build defining items that sets were, which will limit the number of builds possible per class to a handful.

Bind on equip, bind on account, dailies, weeklies etc have no fucking place in AARPG.
So I went with a Fire Build at 25 to see if it was viable. (A legendary weapon drop was the best in slot up until 25 and then I started getting rares that were more DPS than the actual Legendary.) I found a rare at 25 with the top stats (minus the Legendary Imprint, the Socket, and the Upgrading). Those stats fit perfectly for the build I was going for. The Conflagration Imprint comes from a dungeon, so not every single Imprint is going to be ripped from a Legendary. I took that imprint, put the Legendary imprint on it. Then took the weekly crafting mat that drops from the world boss and socketed it. Then upgraded it. Thats pretty deep customization and you're supposed to be able to do more than just that at max level.

In my opinion, this is far superior to Diablo 3. At 25, where item power wasnt going up anymore - I was getting legendaries that were just as much trash as the rares and uncommons that I pick up. If anything, the game is probably going to need a filter like Mist Mist is talking about. Just hope we dont have to use a third party POS like POE has.

There are, however, certain legendary aspects (imprints w/e) that are almost 100% needed. I picked up an amulet that has a 16% chance to reset your defensive CD every time you're hit by ANY damage. Dot, close, aura, etc. With the Sorcerer Fire shield, I was basically non-stop invulnerable with it and Fire Shield also heals you with that talented - so full health constantly as well.

I was under the impression that they were comfortable with how the current system works and were unsure how they were going to implement sets at this time.
Untitled.jpg

People have been saying "oh legendaries are just there to rip the orange stat off and put it onto a rare" but in my experience the stats rolled on the legendary are vastly more useful than what rolls on any rare I've seen. Like getting up to 3 different +1 skills affixes for example (and not just +1 to one skill, it's mainly been +1 to the whole tier of skills). I think the best rare I've seen so far has had +1 to two individual skills and that's it.
Refer to the above - The Legendary Aspect or w/e gives the item a certain amount of Item Power based on the effect alone. But you can find a rare with just as good if not better stats. There may be some code that certain effects on random legendaries are most often paired with certain stats - but I didnt pick up on that. Often getting weapons that were upgrades for my Sorcerer, but had Dexterity on them instead of Intelligence etc.
There would be more build variety and greater interest if you could trade items with interesting affixes so that people could try out different builds.
This, Ill agree with. I dont understand why you can trade Rares - but the legendaries themselves are restricted. With how the system works, it just doesnt make sense and just seems idiotic.

I tried the Sorcerer builds that were linked etc. and a couple of them I fully expect to get nerfed, but overall - theyre very out of the box good and dont require much grinding at all. Fire builds on the other hand seem to start off very .. shitty. But by the time I logged off today, I had +8 Hydra, +7 Incinerate, all the pyro passives that were offensive and defensive, teleport and fire shield passives. +24% Fire Damage, +31% Damage over Time. Basic Ability for fire was maxxed as well, but rarely ever used since mana regen was over the top. Just come up to an elite, throw hydra down, basic him once, core him the rest down - if he doesnt get rooted, I can run away and my Burning damage would eat him alive anyways.

When people said Fire sucked, it was my own little personal test to see if it was true and that they just hadnt balanced the Sorcerer at all. I was delightedly proved wrong.

With all that said - I think Ill get a month to two out of the game depending on my work schedule.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Can you not unlock the Barbarian Weapon Technique in beta? It wants me to go waaaay to the west well outside the area allowed.
Ya they kinda fucked up with that. Was kinda pissed to discover that lol. The 2H sword masteries for bleed build seem pretty crucial.

• 1Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider

I've definitely looted a couple god tier rares so far that I made legendaries so I can only imagine it gets better late game when they can have even more affixes.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
If I remember correctly from the world tier list. There are other rarity beyond Unique, I think its Ancestral/Ancient? But ya legendarily is the new normal it seems

Btw, the sound effect, voice over, and music in the game is very very good.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Barb definitely starts out slower but I'm pretty god damn strong now at 21 with a ton of thorns and bleeds. If I was a little tankier it would be _really_ good.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Barb definitely starts out slower but I'm pretty god damn strong now at 21 with a ton of thorns and bleeds. If I was a little tankier it would be _really_ good.
Im thinking since its mostly personal loot that they should try and improve the drop chance of items in the low levels to have +Movement Speed for Barbarians. They have a couple skills where you'll lunge out towards your enemy and that feels pretty good. But the Teleporting Vampires and all the other NPC's that have their AI programmed to run away from you are just pure aids to deal with on a low level Barbarian.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Flashbacks of chasing fallen around in D2 as they run 20 miles every time 1 dies but ocd means you have to kill them all regardless of how annoying it is.

giphy.gif

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This beta has more than 20x the content of the D3 beta.

D3 beta went to Leoric and ended, with a handful of tiny zones leading up to it.

If that ratio translates to the actual release game, this is going to be a hell of a game.

• 7Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Are you playing World tier 1 or 2?

Because if you're playing 2 and wondering why shit hits you hard, that's why.