Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Xevy

Log Wizard
Well, if you say so then it must be true. PoE has always been perfectly balanced since the closed beta days, now I finally realize it.
The reason isn't perfect balance. The reason is skills matter more than ascendancies. Ascendancies just fill in a need, damage, defense, or utility. The skills are what drive gameplay and yes some skills are much more powerful than others, but in something like D4 you don't have that. Everything is an ascendancy so you can't be a Barb with whirlwind vs a Rogue with whirlwind. There's always been better performing classes for individual skills depending on how they use them. So build diversity here is going to be much, much more limited. There's going to a 'best' per character and that will be it. There will be competitive stuff, but it'll never be nearly as diverse as PoE is and can be.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I return to PoE every now and then but all the Skill Gems I find fun/cool to play usually suck. I played some during Lake of Kallandra and used the new Lightning gem and thats the first time I really enjoyed a build.

That can't be true. All the angry folk in this thread have assured me that PoE is and always has been perfectly balanced and every skill is equally viable and so is every ascendency and you definitely aren't shoehorned into using certain supports for certain skills, you can literally do anything you want and it'll be great.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Moron
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
That can't be true. All the angry folk in this thread have assured me that PoE is and always has been perfectly balanced and every skill is equally viable and so is every ascendency and you definitely aren't shoehorned into using certain supports for certain skills, you can literally do anything you want and it'll be great.
Classes/Ascendancies are never dead, just skills. And shit like conversion trap is and will always be a meme.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
On the topic of shitty changes to the Diablo 'formula' I'm surprised I haven't seen more people complaining about the new gems. Weapons only get small situational dps boosts, and there's no possibility for +dps on jewelry or armor at all.

Not sure if they're a "free" affix now (in terms of being able to add one to an item no matter how many affixes it already has), since you can craft them onto an item using mats you get from salvaging legendaries. I know people didn't like the retarded gem system in D3 where a missing socket on weapon, helm, or jewelry--and almost any other item, to a lesser extent--meant it was completely worthless, but this seems like typical Blizzard swinging the pendulum way too far in the other direction.
Im inclined to say the second part of what you're saying is correct. In that, you can add a socket to any item via the crafting mat you get from the World Boss. On that same note, however, I never saw more than one socket on legs or chest iirc.
Everything is an ascendancy so you can't be a Barb with whirlwind vs a Rogue with whirlwind.
You're talking about POE. But this is one thing that I was kind of sad about when I finally got my hands on the beta. I had heard a rumor that we were going to be able to pick up an item that say.. Had +1 Teleport (example) and use it on a class that didnt have Teleport. So a Barbarian with Teleport with any number of stacks towards it. Its been a while since I played D1 or D2, but I felt like you could do this in the past. That alone would have opened up the game a lot more in terms of build variety.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It's entirely possible "Sacred" items which we've not seen give +skills. I think Sacred items are more akin to the D2/D3 style Uniques that are their own thing and regular legendaries are just super rares with proc affixes.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Obviously skills being irrelevant is more relevant in the case of PoE since they're not class specific but class imbalance also definitely exists.

Untitled.gif

Xevy

Log Wizard
A: That's almost 4 months into the league and shows 100's. People boss with fucking 95's and shit who don't even show up. These are mostly just clearers.
B: Relating to point A, that just shows the meta builds. Those have little to do with actual balance and what each class can achieve. It's what is fast and cheap for the most part.
C:
1679433613452.png
Seems kinda diverse. The best part? Few if any of these skills except Hexblast and EK were changed this league. Ice Spear, in fact, hasn't changed in years.
D: I have a 100 Chieftain. It does 50m dps and can clear a T16 100+ quant map in 60 seconds and do all the ubers. My gear is like 20-50 divines, maybe. It's listed at 0.7% of builds. It's MORE than viable and was actually considered THE build for this leagues mechanic. But your lil numbers there say it's bad? Nah.

PoE Ninja would be a much better tool if it had a deeper data pool, but it just takes highest characters. These are just the fastest characters, not the 'best' characters. People who wanna blast maps are all going to gravitate towards these builds but most of them can't do Ubers. So are these all-around viable builds? Probably not.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who is upset? You are on a message board full of shit-slinging arguments and somehow expect the thread devoted to a really popular series to be different? No one in this thread gives a fuck if you like Diablo; in fact, the people complaining here are complaining because they wanted it to be good and think it won't meet their expectations.

hall of fame game missed the point GIF

• 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
On that same note, however, I never saw more than one socket on legs or chest iirc.
I think I read somewhere that the only items that get 2 sockets are 2H weapons. Specifically ones like staff which are a choice between a single weapon vs. 1H+offhand... I don't think that applies to stuff like bows, barb weapons, etc.

• 1Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I think I read somewhere that the only items that get 2 sockets are 2H weapons. Specifically ones like staff which are a choice between a single weapon vs. 1H+offhand... I don't think that applies to stuff like bows, barb weapons, etc.
I had a 2 socket chest that I put 2 upgraded emeralds in for my thorns build.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
But you can totally casually do whatever you want lol...

That is until you hit the brick wall and die to everything and you don't even understand what's going on. AKA baby's first league going in blind.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
But you can totally casually do whatever you want lol...

That is until you hit the brick wall and die to everything and you don't even understand what's going on. AKA baby's first league going in blind.
The moment where you realize you've fucked your character by going all damage nodes ignoring life nodes

Xevy

Log Wizard
12 whole "viable" skills? Phew, what diversity...

You say this like 20-50 divines isn't a massive amount, ESPECIALLY for a "league starter"/"new player" type of build.
That's just the skills that fit into the window.

20-50 divines for a Uber capable build? It WAS my league starter. Takes about 3 divines to clear all non-Uber bosses. Can clear red maps with less than a divine. But hey, it says there that 3.5 months into the league only 7 out of 1000 people played it so it must be bad! Because that's how stats work when you don't understand the data they're pulled from!

• 1Like