Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Doubtful. Diablo is just one of a number of billion dollar franchises. Don't confuse bad with simply not for you. The game is far from perfect and needs a lot of work, but it will do well and continue to do well as they make changes season after season. Many will play all of them for the foreseeable future, many will come and go only playing periodically, up to Blizzard to give us reasons to continue doing so - and it won't be for everyone.

View attachment 483965

This graph just shows how fucked gaming is going to be in the future.

There is no reason companies will choose to deviate from their current strategies given how much money MOBILE gaming brings in. Holy shit. Who are these people? It's literally an untapped revenue stream because I don't know any of my gaming buddies that spend any significant amount of money on mobile gaming. Maybe a few dollars here are there, maybe $100 per year tops......but the graph clearly shows that mobile gaming is set to make more than consoles and PC gaming COMBINED - in a few quarters that was already the case. That's scary food for thought.

Literally your Karen's, incels, and impulse buying children destroying the gaming industry as we knew it. Whales that get lured in by the addictive mechanisms they put in place and end up spending thousands.....when I'm almost certain 90% of them can't really afford to do so.

I would feel so dirty if I had to work in that industry and be responsible for revenue generation.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

There is no reason companies will choose to deviate from their current strategies given how much money MOBILE gaming brings in. Holy shit. Who are these people? It's literally an untapped revenue stream because I don't know any of my gaming buddies that spend any significant amount of money on mobile gaming. Maybe a few dollars here are there, maybe $100 per year tops......but the graph clearly shows that mobile gaming is set to make more than consoles and PC gaming COMBINED - in a few quarters that was already the case. That's scary food for thought.

Literally your Karen's, incels, and impulse buying children destroying the gaming industry as we knew it. Whales that get lured in by the addictive mechanisms they put in place and end up spending thousands.....when I'm almost certain 90% of them can't really afford to do so.

I would feel so dirty if I had to work in that industry and be responsible for revenue generation.

You would be surprised. Folks like us live in a very contained and dying breed of consumer. We actually track subscriptions, track product quality, talk to each other about gaming experiences and typically all fall in the same category of consumer spending habits. The other 98% of the world, complete dumbfucks, have 23 subscriptions or forgot they subscribed to crap and forget to cancel, download some mobile game and before they know it they are getting dinged on "Hey I can speed up the development of this bridge" not even knowing they dropped a dollar to do so. 14-19 year olds spending upwards of 1k a year in mobile app purchases on MTX or other games on a phone, most of it completely smoke/mirrored in some type of way. It really shows the amount of dumb-shits out there. Course you are also talking about a demographic where they pay money to watch someone else play a game, look at a set of tits, where the people providing that are called "Content Creators" (Flashing a pair of tits isn't a content creator) and make hundreds of thousands if not millions. It is the complete 100% dumbing down of the human race.

In the end, who can blame em. If people are stupid enough to buy it, capitalize on it and live the life of Riley in 5 years on a beach laughing all the way to the bank.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
You would be surprised. Folks like us live in a very contained and dying breed of consumer. We actually track subscriptions, track product quality, talk to each other about gaming experiences and typically all fall in the same category of consumer spending habits. The other 98% of the world, complete dumbfucks, have 23 subscriptions or forgot they subscribed to crap and forget to cancel, download some mobile game and before they know it they are getting dinged on "Hey I can speed up the development of this bridge" not even knowing they dropped a dollar to do so. 14-19 year olds spending upwards of 1k a year in mobile app purchases on MTX or other games on a phone, most of it completely smoke/mirrored in some type of way. It really shows the amount of dumb-shits out there. Course you are also talking about a demographic where they pay money to watch someone else play a game, look at a set of tits, where the people providing that are called "Content Creators" (Flashing a pair of tits isn't a content creator) and make hundreds of thousands if not millions. It is the complete 100% dumbing down of the human race.

In the end, who can blame em. If people are stupid enough to buy it, capitalize on it and live the life of Riley in 5 years on a beach laughing all the way to the bank.
Yep. People not making large money, yet spend on things like Doordash, grocery delivery, $7 coffee, outsized car payments, regular dining out, pot, drinking, then whine about student loan forgiveness.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep. People not making large money, yet spend on things like Doordash, grocery delivery, $7 coffee, outsized car payments, regular dining out, pot, drinking, then whine about student loan forgiveness.
I still think we are fine, until you see no lines at a Starbucks drive through. When people actually stop paying the 7 Dollars for a coffee is when you know our economy is about to completely crash.

Still amazes me how people pay so much for coffee. You can make it at home for a fraction of the cost without the hassle of waiting in a line or dealing with people.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I still think we are fine, until you see no lines at a Starbucks drive through. When people actually stop paying the 7 Dollars for a coffee is when you know our economy is about to completely crash.

Still amazes me how people pay so much for coffee. You can make it at home for a fraction of the cost without the hassle of waiting in a line or dealing with people.

Better time now for this than ever. Back when Bud Light didn't hire tranny cocksuckers in their marketing department.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Better time now for this than ever. Back when Bud Light didn't hire tranny cocksuckers in their marketing department.

$5 coffee referenced in an ad that's gotta be damn near 20 years old. My local fancy coffee place is $4 for a coffee. Not bad.

• 1Truth!

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Going from praising guys who write dirty jokes on bathroom stalls with The Eye Of The Tiger guy as your backup vocals to the giant sack of vaginas they are today.

Fucking sad

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

One of my brothers used to play mobile games pretty heavily. He would spend what most people probably consider a lot on them (think he hit 5 digits on a couple over the duration of his playtime) but it was nothing compared to the whales. He knew people who spent 10s of thousands a month that he'd talk with in discord etc. because he spent enough that he was actually playing with them, and there's a decent chunk who spend well into the 6 figures on each game they play, sometimes multiple games per year etc.

I tried to get in to mobile strike a while ago but after a month or so I realized that spending like $100 a week was not enough to keep me from just becoming a bigger farm for the whales and since I am not rich enough to spend $1000+ a week I gave it up shortly thereafter.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'll say this, while yes Blizzard tends to kick ass at the engine/physics, animations/effects, and the overall feel of the game, D4 inexplicably has many char abilities that do not feel fun. I tried a shock sorcerer and none of the zappy abilities feel good. Chain lightning is 100% objectively worse than D3's iteration of it, and Ball Lightning is a joke with how slow it pulses, the D3 Demon Hunter ability that did the same thing was WAY better.

This goes for many other abilities across other classes. Whether it's poor sound effects that don't give the ability enough "oomph" (I think this is a huge issue for many abilities), bad animations, or flat out broken and under-powered stuff like the aforementioned ball lightning and chain lightning, they really missed the mark on a lot of shit.

All of Rogues missile speed is atrocious and feels like a completely different game compared to every other combat ability that melee characters have.

Some stuff they just completely dropped the ball on with regard to animation and combat. Inconsistent quality is the least of the problems unfortunately, but bringing D4 into line with D3 would help a lot.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
To add to that, whirlwind didnt feel great to me either.....I'd say that and charge feel better in Immortal actually, lol.

Not really news that Immortal is better than D4 in many aspects. Most people got more mileage out of Immortal that played both games.

Put ching chong in charge of D4 and I guarantee things start looking up within a month or two.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Streamers are some of the worst offenders of the mobile bullshit. Not only do they spend a gigantic amount on stream on this trash (which for them is completely tax deductable and just a business expense), they are also paid back for a lot of it by the companies in question. However, the net effect is that it gets a lot of regular people to buy into mobile style games. As a result, eventually you get whales. If I had to guess, approximately 1 in 10000 people that check out your game become a whale.

Eventually, when you have a very, very small group of whales in a mobile game, you simply start making the game for THEM. You do care about the people spending buckets of money to catch up to the whales, but the whales (and streamers) are key to the whole thing working. Everyone not spending money gets nothing but literal crumbs off the floor and the company doesn't give a fuck about them.

On a side note, I DO know that about 1 in 50 people ever buy ANYTHING in a F2P mobile game (which includes a 99 cent package). It's actually very small conversion rates from free to paid. But it doesn't matter when the whales and streamers fund 90% of the entire operation.

Part of why I made my thread here is that I am in the process of making a game now. I want it a free to play model. However, I also want to get paid for my efforts, and it would be a GAAS, so I want to ensure I have development funds. At the same time, I want to do this in a way that it's not pay to win or if it IS pay to win, it's to a small extent where a free player could see something like "The spenders ahead of me, but I'm always at their coattails." Still not sure. I am gauging what a community is willing to accept in a game with this type of model.

If you're willing to pay $70 for a 30 hour game experience or shit, even $100 for a Diablo 4 type experience, would spending $50 for a 100 hour experience that you enjoyed and that you're still generally on top of the pack be a rip off?

Last edited:
  • 3Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
One of my brothers used to play mobile games pretty heavily. He would spend what most people probably consider a lot on them (think he hit 5 digits on a couple over the duration of his playtime) but it was nothing compared to the whales. He knew people who spent 10s of thousands a month that he'd talk with in discord etc. because he spent enough that he was actually playing with them, and there's a decent chunk who spend well into the 6 figures on each game they play, sometimes multiple games per year etc.

I tried to get in to mobile strike a while ago but after a month or so I realized that spending like $100 a week was not enough to keep me from just becoming a bigger farm for the whales and since I am not rich enough to spend $1000+ a week I gave it up shortly thereafter.

I can tell you that the most predatory games are often about $10,000-$15,000 per -week- to stay on the top of the pack.

I found it hilarious when people made a big deal about 125K needed to have a maxed out diablo immortal character. That's peanuts compared to some of these things.

And no matter how much "we" SAY "we" hate it -- our spending habits speak otherwise.

This is a game that came out less than 3 years ago.

The zombie-themed puzzle-strategy title’s revenue per download is $18.18, and the leading market is the US, with $252m (44%) of total lifetime revenue. The next biggest markets are Japan ($164m), South Korea ($33.5m), Germany ($24.9m) and Taiwan ($24.1m).

• 3Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
that's not true... initial drop is personal only, but once dropped from inventory others can see

Pretty sure that's only if your grouped, and only some items. Either way, still makes zero sense to have all your stashes load since you can't drop something from your stash unless you're actually at your stash

• 1Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Not really news that Immortal is better than D4 in many aspects. Most people got more mileage out of Immortal that played both games.

Put ching chong in charge of D4 and I guarantee things start looking up within a month or two.
Agreed, pretty sad honestly, but Immortal did a lot of things right, just doesn't have any sort of difficulty assuming you're at the minimum CR unless you're talking about PVP. <-- and that also depends on group makeup in vaults since some groups of 4 can decimate ppl twice their reso if they have enough CC.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'll say this, while yes Blizzard tends to kick ass at the engine/physics, animations/effects, and the overall feel of the game, D4 inexplicably has many char abilities that do not feel fun. I tried a shock sorcerer and none of the zappy abilities feel good. Chain lightning is 100% objectively worse than D3's iteration of it, and Ball Lightning is a joke with how slow it pulses, the D3 Demon Hunter ability that did the same thing was WAY better.

This goes for many other abilities across other classes. Whether it's poor sound effects that don't give the ability enough "oomph" (I think this is a huge issue for many abilities), bad animations, or flat out broken and under-powered stuff like the aforementioned ball lightning and chain lightning, they really missed the mark on a lot of shit.

I found chain lightning pretty good for leveling with the maxroll build.

But shit like druid wolf and raven companions are just hilariously bad

Chris

Potato del Grande
Got Lv50 and WT3 with Blood Lance Necromancer, fixed my build with all the aspects I want and... now what?

No challenges other than Uber Lilith which rewards nothing, paragon board doesn't seem to offer much but +dogooder to offset the level scaling... meh.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
It's almost like its this really shallow, hyper polished game that they price gouged

Yes that garbage will always be the more lucrative market

But fear not! There will always be people who appreciate deep games with real quality

Now, just go find the talent when all the big garbage game shops can offer them loads more money

Where does the loads more money come from? Oh impulsive people who get sucked in and ignore the warnings

Ah, now we see why some of the fanatic gamers call for the Bud Light treatment

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
There are always going to be solid companies putting out great games.

If the market goes 100% mobile you'll get:
1) Some mobile games will be great (Genshin Impact)
2) No competition for traditional gamers so your Elden Ring /Baldur's Gate type games will sell amazingly

There is low barrier to entry in gaming, anyone can solo dev an indie project, it's a self correcting industry. It's not like Movies were you can't compete with their trash.

I think I may just go play PoE now, I bet it looks great on the PS5 I bought for FF16.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I found chain lightning pretty good for leveling with the maxroll build.

But shit like druid wolf and raven companions are just hilariously bad

It’s ok, but it feels bad and is objectively worse than D3’s chain lightning. So that was my point.

• 1Like