Disc Golf

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Where are all our disc golfers at?

I'm just getting into it myself. I've known about it a few years now. I recently played a John Houck designed course that opened near me not too long ago and that has given me the push to really get into it as a hobby.

I purchased a basket and really improved my putting in just a few hours practice. I have a friend who's been into it a few years now and gave me some discs. I thought I had some pictures to share, but I'll have to post them later.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Guess not many here! If anyone is interested, its just as it sounds, its golf but you are throwing a disc towards a basket. Download the udisc app on your phone to find a course near you.

It's very relaxing, good way to keep active, and you can take it as seriously as you want. Find a friend and borrow some discs, search facebook for a local group and hook up with someone in your area, or buy a starter set off amazon, they are only $25-35.

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
My friends got into this since quarantine started and it's a casual outdoor activity. So I own four discs now. It makes for a pretty fun afternoon.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I used to play around the 2005-2010 timeframe. Played in a few tournaments.

It just really fucked my arm up, and living in California the courses are all kind of shit, so I stopped playing.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It just really fucked my arm up, and living in California the courses are all kind of shit, so I stopped playing.

Really? We've got some really good ones up here in NorCal. The course in Golden Gate Park is fantastic.

I used to play a lot back in college but it's fallen off since I moved to CA. Not sure why because as I mentioned, the course in GGP is dope. And it's not even that far from where I live. I can take a bus to it.

Caliane

I thought there was already a thread on this. can't find any discussion, so guess not.

My brother got into it previous fall. Got me into it. I've tried to get him into hiking/biking but have failed. He likes more competitive stuff. Golf, softball, etc. Disc golf makes a great fall/winter sport.

A ton of courses here in CT,MA and a few in RI. of varying quality.. Most of them totally free to use. most in public parks.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I've been playing since the mid 80s and used to be pretty active in the tournament scene. These days my distance is down from the 430' range to about 380. I could probably do better with a lot of practice but mostly I just play leagues for fun. That being said my putting is far better than it used to be.

There are a lot of good things about disc golf as a casual sport not the least of which is a cheap entertainment when traveling for work. If I'm going to be in an area for a week or so I'll put the time in and try to find a local league to join for a round. I've played roughly 100 courses all over the country most of them here in Minnesota.

I've taught a ton of people to play, just this year two of my nephew's started playing. It's crazy how easy it comes to ultimate players.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Never played, but there is a city owned course about 2 miles from my house. 100% free. Just drive up and play.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Never played, but there is a city owned course about 2 miles from my house. 100% free. Just drive up and play.

That's how most of them are. Great activity that requires very little investment.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Aww shit a disc golf thread!

I started playing a year ago myself. Started with an Innova starter set and now I don't even use any of those discs and have a nice custom bag going.

Best thing I did was find a putter I like, Latitude64 Pure is my fav, and just throw nothing but that for a couple months then move on to mid range discs. That helped my form immensely.

Anyone watch the big tournies? Fucking covid this year got in the way of hitting up the Maple Hill Open. I only live about 40 minutes from the course. Maybe next year.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I like watching the big tourneys on YouTube but rarely watch in person. I've played with some of the big guys and when you do you'll find that most of them are not playing the same game as you are. They are all very nice though.

Putters are tough. It's pretty cool you clicked with one early. I used aviars and wizards for many years and they never worked for me. I use a Kastaplast Reko now.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been playing for over 15 years. I have not gotten any better

• 2Solidarity

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
At my local course I shot 23 over par my first round going in blind, watched some videos and then shot 27 over my next round, ha. But then I shot 18 over the next two times and 14 over my last round and I don't think I played very well. I hope to get to par or as close as possible by the end of the year.

I love the pure as well, fits well in my hand. My friend who got me into the game likes the judge and as I've practiced more I can understand why.. My two pures:

Attachments

• 20210203_210001.jpg
    20210203_210001.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 9

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Used to play in college. If any of y'all end up in Traverse City, MI, go to the Hickory Hills disc golf course. It's a ski hill in the winter and a disc golf course in the summer. One of the holes goes straight down a slope, 550 feet or something absurd like that, but you can ace it if you have a big enough arm.

HO2ZNT86UrEIo6CA8Wi-Qj8UBXzkMs7dQSe789sURiI.jpg

Basket is down there somewhere. They did a better job clearing the foliage back when I played there.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I'm getting into custom dyes. Interested in potentially making some for sale someday so I figured may as well start practicing on my own.
Here are my very first dyes, learned a lot from them:

Attachments

• 20210424_222448.jpg
    20210424_222448.jpg
    750.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210424_214131.jpg
    20210424_214131.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210418_204843.jpg
    20210418_204843.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210418_204802.jpg
    20210418_204802.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 2Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Holy smokes what a finish to Worlds going on right now. James Conrad had an insane 200ish ft throw in on 18 to force a sudden death vs. McBeth.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why would playing a course like that be fun? There are trees everywhere.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user