Don't Look Up (2021)

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If I have to say something nice, those last few lines by DiCaprio at the end were well delivered.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Definitely wanted it to be funnier. Some one watched it the other day and I said that and they went "I don't think it was supposed to be a comedy." It certainly was, but it got a little too heavy handed. Wasn't bad overall, but would've loved more jokes. I think Streep was a bunch of Presidents rolled into one. Trumps previous popularity, the smoking thing was a nod to Obama, the only worrying about midterms could be Hillary as much as it could be literally any other Politician for the last 40 years. Obviously her son being Chief of Staff was a Trump nod. The Bash guy was definitely a mash up of every high-power tech guy. The presentation was obviously a Jobs impersonation, the space stuff is Musk, the Algorithm google, and I'm not sure I can see a direct Bezos connection, but I'm guessing there was an intended one somewhere.

Overall was okay, definitely wouldn't have been happy paying to see it in Theaters. The Jlaw General Snacks thing was great as the entire world is literally ending and she just can't stop thinking about why a 4 star General would dupe her and her colleagues out of 30 dollars. More of that type of stuff would've been great.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Written by a fucking retard, 5/10 could have been great and wasn’t. Heavy handed dogshit, par for Netflix course

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thought it was decent satire, not the greatest ever but decent for $current_year cinema. Didn't really see it as making an overt jab at Trump, there's obviously bits of him in there but also some Clinton and politics in general. It also took jabs at the media for being too focused on ratings and minutiae rather than actual information. If this had been intended as a purely anti-conservative vehicle the angle would have been the noble """journalist""" convincing an uncaring and short-sighted public, but they were right in there with them.
Could have been shorter and snappier in places. Liked that they went for the "bad" ending.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
It was ok but too heavy handed in the message. It was better than I thought it would be for sure. I laughed twice at Jonah's antics and that was it. The comedy just wasn't there unless you laugh at every attempt to be funny instead of really funny situations or jokes. It was definitely too long, and I wish Hollywood cared more about story even though I liked the bad ending. It really was a generic story and the second half focused on the same boring, "we need to reconnect with the people who matter' story all the apocalypse movies have. It's a satire, save some space and just remove that part. The movie really should have been 90 minutes.

The music was terrible, and they love ensembles, more to toot their own ability to hire them than any meaningful reason having them. It works though. I'm sure that's why most people watched it was the list of names. It reminded me of them trying to make a satire but do it like Ocean's Eleven! That would be cool! Who can we hire?

The satire was good though. They didn't really focus on political targets as much as a general disdain of everyone powerful even though they left out acting which may have just been a subtle nod considering who was presenting. This seemed like Covid the movie except they used the FBI to 'move' troublesome people instead of letting the media silence them. As heavy handed and generic as it was, I couldn't help but wonder if the writer was just extremely self-aware of the massive hypocrisy being presented considering when it was released and what kind of film it is. That and they love tropes. I hope so just because there has to be smart people still working in Hollywood, right? Probably not considering the movie was too long and heavy handed but I can hope.

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Oh I forgot to say:

Cate Blanchett looks great, she's 52. I know that they were giving her the look of an over use of make up and an amount of botox.

But still I though = damn hot. Would nail.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The movie really should have been 90 minutes.
It's weird, the "classic" comedies of the 80's and 90's all clock in at around 90 minutes. I don't know when they decided every movie needed to be a minimum of 2 hours, but it's fucking annoying.

• 3Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
It's weird, the "classic" comedies of the 80's and 90's all clock in at around 90 minutes. I don't know when they decided every movie needed to be a minimum of 2 hours, but it's fucking annoying.

No movie should be over 100 min outside the extremely rare LOTR, Endgame type epic. Those should be very rare.If you want a great story, learn to read.

The producer of this was a hack or didn’t control his own production. This was a satire full of tropes. So why does it need a redemption arc? To humanize the protagonists? It doesn’t but he was paint by numbers producing and all stories need a redemptive arc! Or an extra 45 min to humanize people getting ready to die. Dumb as fuck. This really felt like someone trying to do Oceans Eleven in a different story. Ok but we don’t need it, do we? Nope, but I like sniffing my ass so here we are!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

No movie should be over 100 min outside the extremely rare LOTR, Endgame type epic. Those should be very rare.If you want a great story, learn to read.
Many movies are long without them justifying such length. On that we can agree. From there you go and make one of the dumbest statement ever written on this board. All types of stories can be great and not all stories work best in all media.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
That said, for theatrical releases (at least historically and outside of super-hits, large IP properties, etc.. ), long run-times are something that are seriously looked at. Shorter / regular-length movies get more rotation, etc..

For streaming, it's largely irrelevant. So there's less incentive for filmmakers (or the studios, producers, etc.. behind it) to go out of their way to shave those odd minutes here or there.

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Many movies are long without them justifying such length. On that we can agree. From there you go and make one of the dumbest statement ever written on this board. All types of stories can be great and not all stories work best in all media.

So, you think movies can make a better story? They can maybe condense overly long stories into a more manageable format but some of the best stories will never get made into a movie. The format is limited. I'm sorry reading is hard for you. Go practice more. The stories are just better...in print.

Goatface

1641578399424.png

currently 3rd most watched netflix original movie of all time and is on track to pass Red Notice and Bird Box

• 2Like
  • 1Clown World

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So if i turned it off halfway through, it still counts on their metric? I'm sure every subscriber checked it out over the holidays, how many finished it?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You probably count if you just browsed over it and were like "wtf is this?" while it annoyingly autoplayed. There's a reason you can't turn that stupid fucking feature off.

• 2Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure how people think they were making fun of both "sides" with this horseshit. This was 100% Hollywood denigrating conservatives as morally inferior idiots, while they pat themselves on the back for being the smart morally righteous people who are simply saddled with having to deal with the retarded half of the country.

They even went so far as to change Cate's wardrobe on her show with Perry based on how they were acting:

Vapid morons? Wearing Red. Calm and collected, discussing "science?" Wearing Blue.

Ron Perlman's idiot character and obviously Streep's female Trump also favored red. And these were the very obvious shades of Red/Blue associated with politics. Not a variety of hues like we saw in WoT's White Tower, for instance.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So if i turned it off halfway through, it still counts on their metric? I'm sure every subscriber checked it out over the holidays, how many finished it?
Yes. iirc they changed their "viewed" metric a while back to encompass just about any amount of watching a program.

Goatface

2019 and before, they used "70% rule" where had to watch that much to count as a view, 42 mins per hour. then they changed it to where 2 mins counted as a view. in 2021, they changed to "hours watched".