Dragon Age: Dreadwolf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh their last good game was SWTOR, maybe not as a mmorpg, but great single player stories. And that was 2011.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chainsaw

<Bronze Donator>
Never understood the love for DAO. The story and setting are basically Tolkien 101; there is not an ounce of originality in the franchise.

Didn't play DA2 based on reviews. DAI was a step in the right direction I thought, at least for the first 20-30 hours.

Meh.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Never understood the love for DAO. The story and setting are basically Tolkien 101; there is not an ounce of originality in the franchise.

Didn't play DA2 based on reviews. DAI was a step in the right direction I thought, at least for the first 20-30 hours.

Meh.
Lol what? DA:O is nothing like Tolkien which is heavily black and white morale based story with a little Dues Ex Machina thrown in.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
DAO is a great tolkein-like RPG with solid mechanics and impressive storytelling. The POV character and their story are fairly engrossing even if "chosen warrior of a noble but secretive order" isn't a rare theme. The specific lore they push like the darkspawn, mage demons, deep roads, etc aren't exactly novel but their presentation engages the player in the lore very well.

And I really love killing ogres.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

I didnt love the storyline of DA:O much. darkspawn are just gross. fade is eh. Started at least a bit interesting. Im not sure if I like where it went. Mage/bloodmage/templar thing was interesting. demon possession stuff is decent. greywarden sacrifice idea is good. dragons and flemeth and whats her face nah. I liked the concept art of morrigan, but did not like the in game version with claudia.

DA origins's real claim to fame and the source of its beloved nature, is its pure existance in a time when isometric, rtwp and turned based both, were effectively dead. A AAA studio made one, as an homage. which is in no small part why people were infuriated with Bioware when they immediately abandoned that to go right back to FPS rpgs. With mass effect 2 (2010) a year after da origin(2009) taking a massive leap towards being even more fps then Mass effect 1. and then DA 2, in 2011 also abandoning rtwp/turnbased iso, for action rpg god of war gameplay.

it wasn't until 2014 Divinity OS, and 2015's Pillars of Eternity that CRPGS were restored.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Voice acting was good, gameplay was good, story was a little generic but fine.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didnt love the storyline of DA:O much. darkspawn are just gross. fade is eh. Started at least a bit interesting. Im not sure if I like where it went. Mage/bloodmage/templar thing was interesting. demon possession stuff is decent. greywarden sacrifice idea is good. dragons and flemeth and whats her face nah. I liked the concept art of morrigan, but did not like the in game version with claudia.

DA origins's real claim to fame and the source of its beloved nature, is its pure existance in a time when isometric, rtwp and turned based both, were effectively dead. A AAA studio made one, as an homage. which is in no small part why people were infuriated with Bioware when they immediately abandoned that to go right back to FPS rpgs. With mass effect 2 (2010) a year after da origin(2009) taking a massive leap towards being even more fps then Mass effect 1. and then DA 2, in 2011 also abandoning rtwp/turnbased iso, for action rpg god of war gameplay.

it wasn't until 2014 Divinity OS, and 2015's Pillars of Eternity that CRPGS were restored.
DA2's gameplay was a major improvement over DAO and basically the only positive about the game and it was still more or less RTWP. Of course they squandered that improved gameplay with garbage encounter design that constantly fell back on 'waves of chumps spawning from out of nowhere like ninjas', along with almost no map variety (they literally just used a couple big maps and locked you into one small section at a time to make it seem different), piss poor writing, but what really turned people against the game was the fact that player actions had basically zero impact on the story when player choices mattering had previously been one of the most defining aspects of a Bioware game in the first place.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
but what really turned people against the game was the fact that player actions had basically zero impact on the story
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

I dont want to spend an entire rpg game inside a city, let alone underground in various caves that are 500ft from the city.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tbh I can't really remember the story. I do remember I loved the world building and character paths and how choices had real meaning. I'm pretty sure there were a few S tier side quests too

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
can't believe the heresy i'm reading in this thread besmirching the good name of DA:O

The rest of the series was garbage sure but origins was phenomenal story telling and world building for its time. The gameplay was crap (D20 system in CRPG is fucking cringe, same as the original KOTOR) and sure that was improved in DA2 and so on but we're talking about a 20 year old game

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users