Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I didn't really see this game being promoted as the end of a trilogy. It looks more like a reboot of the franchise into something slightly more Skyrim-y. If anything, this is probably the start of a trilogy, with the previous games being orphaned as world building exercises.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I think they're completely against marketing it as a trilogy from what I've seen. Even from DAO they wanted to create a new RPG franchise that had an indefinite number of games where each one was only loosely coupled to prior ones.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Aside from IGN and GI who didnt give it above 8.5 most of those listed review sources are pretty meh. I guess i feel less burnt since i never bothered to play DA2, sounds like i came out on top!
It's really not that bad. If you like the DA universe play it and make sure to get the Legacy DLC. It supposedly is a build up for DAI.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
People talk like DA2 was the worst game they've ever played. They reused dungeon maps and Anders was a twat... other than that, the game was pretty good.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
It's really not that bad. If you like the DA universe play it and make sure to get the Legacy DLC. It supposedly is a build up for DAI.
I just had no time to play it back then, friends didnt mind it, just said it wasnt as good as DA:O.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
People talk like DA2 was the worst game they've ever played. They reused dungeon maps and Anders was a twat... other than that, the game was pretty good.
Well the entire story was stupid as fuck too, but let's gloss over that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It really wasn't. There was very little good to say about DA2.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
DA2 was a bummer, but I've never agreed with the hate for ME3. So much about ME3 was good. And the combat in DA2 was more fun than DA:O. Balance was better too, in that melee wasn't terribad compared to magic. It's just hard to appreciate the mechanics gains when the world is lame, and it was very lame.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It does sound like they took the "people hated the city in DA2" feedback and went "so lets not put any cities in DA3."

I have no problem with mostly dungeons and wilderness areas though.

khalid

Unelected Mod
DA2 was a bummer, but I've never agreed with the hate for ME3. So much about ME3 was good. And the combat in DA2 was more fun than DA:O. Balance was better too, in that melee wasn't terribad compared to magic. It's just hard to appreciate the mechanics gains when the world is lame, and it was very lame.
Yep, I wish more people would realize that. DA2's combat was more fun than DA:O, and it was huge that melee was actually fun in DA2. However, the constantly reused textures and areas was fucking ridiculous. Also, while I didn't mind kirkwall, it was kinda a shock going from a huge open world over a continent to suddenly being in a city-state for the entire game.

However, you can't simply say a game had some bad parts but was overall fun. Oh no! The ending of ME3 was bad therefore MY LIFE HAS BEEN RUINED AND MY TIMES PLAYING ME1 and ME2 WERE RUINED. It's like we see people swinging from rabid fanboi to rabid hater. There is a middle ground and its a much funner place to be.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'm still disappointed by the tactics system. FF12 had gambits, which Bioware blatantly stole for DA:O's tactics, and then they did them worse.
frown.png
When I got my gambits set right in FF12 my party raped shit so efficiently.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Should take a comparison between the people who gave those reviews to the gameprojurnos mailing list and corruption in video game reviews.

DA2 a year+ later after some dlc and such, not the worst game (though nowhere near DAO), but giving DA2 such high marks is grounds to believe that either the publication or reviewer got compensation to push their review towards the positive.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Should take a comparison between the people who gave those reviews to the gameprojurnos mailing list and corruption in video game reviews.

DA2 a year+ later after some dlc and such, not the worst game (though nowhere near DAO), but giving DA2 such high marks is grounds to believe that either the publication or reviewer got compensation to push their review towards the positive.
And now this is infesting streamers who pretend to be like regular gamers.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think he's saying streamers are getting paid to play and talk about how great the latest and greatest game is

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
What does this mean?
Yeah, referring to youtubers and twitch streamers who get money to promote their games, only they are more often viewed as "neutral", and thus their supposed enthusiasm of the game gets viewed as the game is good, which creates sales. Meanwhile they are getting paid to do so, while also being under contract. These contracts range from be sure to talk about these key points to not allowing any negative comments. Shadows of Mordor being the latest example of a draconian contract that got whistleblowed by TotalBiscuit, but not before it was featured on lots of channels on both youtube and Twitch.

ManVSgame for instance did a 8 hour stream of it, saying quickly that it was a paid promotion, but after the contract was leaked, it was extremely obvious that he followed the contract down the dotted line, effectively making it a 8 hour commercial because every time he hit a negative bump or bug, he was always extremely positive.

On youtube, Yogscast has gotten a bit shady with their promotions of games, and lack of/hidden disclosures that they are doing paid promotions. Since their demography is of a fairly young age range, their audience is particularly vulnerable to these kinds of promotions. TB, while being their "friend" so to speak, has been quite vocal in his criticism of their business practices of late.

Some people disclose paid promotions though, so it is safe to say that if you see one youtuber say "this is a paid promotion", then you see the same game pop up on other youtubers channels in roughly the same timeline, they are most likely all paid promotions.

It is all a very gray area at the moment, from the ethics behind it, to what might even be considered illegal in terms of age ratings. If you know a demography of a channel is 12-16 and you pay for a 18+ game to be featured there, because you know that will push sales (as most parents just seem to buy whatever their kids want these days), it is shady at best. Not sure a 18+ game would be allowed to feature as a TV commercial on a kids TV show.

At the moment youtube and the various streaming services is a delicious buffet of cheap and effective advertising that is hardly regulated at all. Where the especially effective part being that it is displayed by what is regarded as regular people, not promotional salesmen with an agenda, though that is what many of them have turned into while maintaining what is now only an illusion of being unbiased.