Duel of Champions (Might @Magic F2p CCG)

Caliane

Most recent expansion changed starter decks, and let you even pick stronghold, which you couldnt before.

I started before, so Im not entirely sure what is in the current starter decks.
previously, I heard haven was a bit weak. as it required some higher teir cards, that weren't really provided to do well.

Inferno was asserted to be one of the stronger starters.
And its fairly easy to see why.

Garrent rush is strong. Teleport, a dark assassin or 2. the 2 cost 2/0/3 sweep minions. And some lilium. Very fast board control. and damage. Teleports to dodge with dark assassions will win all sorts of games.
MMDoC.net | Show deck
Here is an example of a garrent deck. as you can see most of the cards come in the starter deck.

You will want to edit your deck asap though. get rid of the campfires, some of the other terrible fortune cards that were in there.
Fireblast good. Fireball is too high.

That is probably the key you need to learn quick. something this game has, that others don't.
The str, magic, and fortune stats. This is an extra layer of progression that other tcg don't have.

Putting a 6 might pit lord, a 4 magic fireball, and 5 fortune card in the same deck is a very bad idea.

at turn 3, you MIGHT have 4 resources, and 4 magic for that fireball to be cast. But if you do, that means you didn't level up your str stat. so you can't be playing a 3 resource creature.

If built wrong, you will be in that situation alot. you need that fireball, and have the card, but are at 6 str, 3 magic, and 3 fortune, on like turn 10.
So balance it out.
You probably want to pick two. and cut the other out entirely. With garrent, cut out fortunes almost entirely. maybe 1 or 2.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I started out playing this trying to find a fix to replace MMO's that doesn't require the stringent time demands (raid schedules etc) but still provides some challenge and staying power. I started heartstone, LOL, DOTA2, and this all in the same week or so.

DoC was the clear down winner for me which was surprising since I am new to the CCG genre and their isn't any direct action involved (you get accustomed to "getting out of the fire"). There are endless possibilities, the meta game is always changing, and the community is great. I have played probably 700-800 games and literally only was talked shit to in one game; its great!

After 6 or so weeks of playing sparingly I am up around 1300-1400 elo most days now that I got a better grasp on the mechanics of a CCG etc. I've finished as high as 59 out of 9800 in the jackpot, was 1 health away from being in the top 15 or so. I struggle more at swiss though for some reason....I get 2nd almost always but sadly until yesterday after winning 3 in a row I had never won one....

I started my first big push with a nasty little Adar removal deck but transitioned into a Kelthazor (sp) build that it is very competitive as it provides solutions against so many types utilizing magic removal and an onslaught of well positioned creatures. The sarahar brutes (sp) combined with removal spells is one of the hardest snowballing combo in the game. I've been down 4 health to 20 before and won 1-0 because of dual brutes and clearing there board with magic combined with Kelth's native ability. Its just an extremely diverse deck while remaining a strong focused attack deck)

Then came the rush of stupid lock out fortune decks again which irritate me to no end and can cause problems (I need to improve how I play against them as I never played one myself so I'm shakey on the mechanics but its still just a bitch). Sooooo.....daddy has made up his own modified deck that I haven't seen any of the higher elo players using yet. I'm still refining it but basically its the more traditional Kelth 4/4/1 deck (good one is the one with only brutes for blood thirst, no enrage guys) in which I throw out some of the high hp creatures and a few low resource ones for 8 more creatures with quick attack.

They are low attack but they leverage my other tweek to the standard deck, I put in 4 war tents. I've won more games in the past with 2 war tents then I can count. It turns the deck more into a targeted approach of basically getting them into position for an onslaught of damage all at once that allows me to deal with fortune decks and good removal/control decks.

The trick is to have a few war tents down and have some quick attack mobs saved up including the one with swift attack as well as a PDS or two and a fireball. You can drop the swift/quick attack guy for 4 damage, move him, PDS for 5 damage, fireball him, and drop another PDS for 5 more plus if you have another tent down hit it with the 1 resource 0 attack quick attack create. Throw in week of the mercanciers to that combo and you have basically a 1 shot kill later game. Lots of flexability as well for board clears with the move all targets + fireball, or forbidden flames plus it still uses 90% of the traditional deck so you still dominate most matches that you already won before.

I'll try and post the deck when I get time, I may still make some tweaks but its mainly designed for the high level elo where a few of those 1400-1500+ have freaking decks that its almost impossible to take down without a perfect draw+ timing with the traditional deck.

My only bitch about the game is the fortune based decks. I'd like to see it strongly supplement creature based gameplay. Instead you have a few of these decks that you literally don't get to hit the person for 13+ turns and then they 1 shot you etc. And yes...there are certain ways to help improve your odds but with such tightly controlled decks you just can't sacrifice alot of card space just to beat one type of oppontent. I already run 4 week of taxes which I rather not.

Anyways, great game, i'd strongly encourage anyone to try it out. One thing I didn't understand until a week or two in, DO NOT stack your decks with all sorts of cards. After I thought about it, even though your initial thought is "It gives me more options!"; ultimately it just adds variability and randomness which is not a good thing. I'm sure this is common thinking to long time CCG players but for me it took abit to understand. After I made a switch from a 100+ card deck to a 50-53 creature+spell+building deck, my winning % jumped dramatically. So pick a strategy, and try to be good at that. Do not run a large amount of cards to deal with all situations or you will lose more often then not.

Ingame name is Turbo-Fangz, took a 150 elo beating trying to experiment with a real crazy deck before I decided to try my modification deck which is having good success so should be back to 1400 this weekend. Friend me if you are starting and want some advice (not an expert by anymeans but i've learned alot lately. Was 1800 out of the 900k or so users prior to my "experiments..."

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I think fireball is actually a strong card in an inferno rush deck. It's unplayable for the first few turns, but it can clear a path for you to finish if the game goes into turn 7+. You also have the option of including a few of the magic channel creatures to let you use your heavy magic earlier. Void Arbiter is a card I really like in my inferno deck. It has magic channel 2, and blocks control decks from their massive card draw.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
It honestly doesn't really matter until you start cracking packs. When you get to 1k seals buy "The Box" with the first set and then look on a website to see what cards you want the most from what sets and then use your gold to buy only that set. Most likely after you get everything from the base set it will be the 2nd set you will want to get. The 1st expansion has so much of the blue expansion faction that it isn't worth it. Make sure to do a search of all the promo codes as you get a bunch of packs that way.

Also if you start creeping towards 500 ELC (you rank) concede a bunch of games at the start until your back down. Once you get past 500 that is the lowest you can go so try and get a decent deck going before you go past that mark. Do the same at 1k ELO etc.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
It honestly doesn't really matter until you start cracking packs. When you get to 1k seals buy "The Box" with the first set and then look on a website to see what cards you want the most from what sets and then use your gold to buy only that set. Most likely after you get everything from the base set it will be the 2nd set you will want to get. The 1st expansion has so much of the blue expansion faction that it isn't worth it. Make sure to do a search of all the promo codes as you get a bunch of packs that way.

Also if you start creeping towards 500 ELC (you rank) concede a bunch of games at the start until your back down. Once you get past 500 that is the lowest you can go so try and get a decent deck going before you go past that mark. Do the same at 1k ELO etc.
Fireball is great because even the disciplined experts are forced to put their creatures in poor position sometimes to take out stronger health mobs or to protect their weaker back end etc. As you progress you will play people who watch your magic count and know your card capabilities so the magic channel actually isn't a bad idea. I first started inferno in the sub 1000's and I used to catch so many people with a low cost magic channel and fireball. As he mentioned, do not go into 1k until you have a solid idea of the type of deck you want to really focus in on and some good cards to back it up. Post 1k you play against people 1k-1500 (occasional 1500 even) and they "tend" to truely understand the various types of decks and also have min/maxed most of their deck with the harder to get cards. I didn't stop at all when I dashed to 1k and I got a hell of a suprise from winning 90% of the time prior and then boom! I opted to buy some packs since to be frank the game is free and consumes alot of time (2+ games worth) so i justified 100 dollar spend in my mind. It gave me enough to start crafting my competitive deck (DO NOT WASTE wildcards on anything until you are 1k+ and SURE of what you want to play unless you are going to spend alot of real life cash). Just because a card is orange doesn't mean it fits your deck or the meta good, I made the mistake of wasting ALOT of my wildcards on shit I do not use at all once I learned how to properly make a deck.

The main exception to this advice is Pao Deathseekers. Buy 2-3 of them as soon as possible, more games are won with PDS then probably any card in the game. They are a 3/1 quick attack that destroy themselves. Late game usually its a war of attrition so getting a key creature kill and then punching through with your PDS wins more then naught. Also you can get tricky and save multiple ones until you are in stricking distance and then play 1, do damage, kill it with a fire or cheap attack, and play another. Combine that with a +1 etc event/buff and you can take 30 to 50% of someones life with just 1 opening. I just fully started realizing the potential of this and it works like a charm. Also dark assassins are pretty safe bets to buy a few of, in many rush decks they are critical, 4 damage out the gate is tough to deal with for some decks.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider

turbo

Molten Core Raider
If you are new and want to spend money / seals on the game go for the Road to Paris deck at 1750 seals (you get 4 Dark Assasin / 4 Pao and other goodies) or the Champion DLC Pack thingie from steam for 55$ that gives you a box from each expansion and base set.

Also try to get an alienware code from
https://eu.alienwarearena.com/giveaw...ns-starter-box
or
https://us.alienwarearena.com/giveaw...ns-starter-box

They seem to be out now but they "refill" it all the time.
Oh ya good point, that paris deck is amazing for the cost if you are a new player.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Made a Crag Hack deck using most of the shit from the Road of Paris deck. Still getting wasted by Cassandra and that's the next deck I plan on making as soon as I get some Wolf Captains or a sale that doesn't suck (got ~3k seals).

Felt so good pulling this :

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Made a Crag Hack deck using most of the shit from the Road of Paris deck. Still getting wasted by Cassandra and that's the next deck I plan on making as soon as I get some Wolf Captains or a sale that doesn't suck (got ~3k seals).

Felt so good pulling this :

Haha I had a guy pull that on me in Jackpot yesterday, I ended up barely winning with 1 heal thanks to my mad quick attack skills+ war tent but 1 more turn and he would have had me. Cass can be a real pain in the ass but other times I destroy her. It really depends on my draw, if I have a good lightening strike handy to blow up her +2 melee defense guy at the right time and then clear the board with a my ramped up brute+fire bolt+kelth ability etc. I beat a JP 260 elo rated Cass this morning and then lost to a 160 one after I hit abit of a slide. I freaking lost my last game with 1 minute left because of a misclick, cost me 41 points in the ladder
frown.png
Finished 191 out of 9000 which netted me 21k gold but could have high tier 2 or possibly low tier 1 had I not clicked a fire bolt on a guy i was just trying to double check his card....derp!

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Really enjoying this game now that I've been into for a couple weeks. My decks still have a long way to go, but it's a fun game. Sadly my Inferno deck seems to be my strongest right now. I'm trying to get my Stronghold to be more competitive, but am just not getting good cards. Necropolis decks seem to be the strongest I go up against.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Necro is just annoying with all their poison guys. Take that and the hero who kills someone with a counter on them and it gets nasty.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
I prefer adar malik over ariana. The fire spells are very powerful. You can clear the board so many different ways. I am having a hard time whittling the deck down to 59 tho, sitting at 66 right now.

Apparently the thing to do is get as many wildcards as possible. Thus, I only buy premium packs with gold, and a couple 5 tower boxes. Once you start to spend those wildcards, your deck starts dominating.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I really want to play this game but I cant. I've tried it on two computers, it just freezes as soon as I start the exe. Is this game exclusive for Win 7 or something ? I have only old computers with Win Xp. Can anyone think of a solution for me ?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty much burned out. I've reached lvl 50 with a max of 1407 ELO and 280 JELO. Still got 4k seals banked waiting for a decent sale to try to make new decks and maybe get some more games in (still wanna win a jackpot).

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Leveling up. Since I started playing I bought 1 x The Box, 1 x 5T Box and the Road to Paris deck.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
There was a stream today announcing a lot of info about the new base set coming out soon for the game. To summarize, they are splitting the game into two formats, open and standard. Open is basically legacy, all cards allowed. The new format being added is Standard, which has a lot of cards banned. You can select which format you play.

Some examples of cards being banned from Standard play are Pao Deathseeker, Dark Assassin, Wolf Captain, Kelthor, Ishuma, Adar, Sandalphon, etc. Basically any card that was considered very strong is banned from Standard format.

I'm kind of annoyed at the announcement because I just spent a bunch of wildcards on cards that are being banned. I will still be able to use them in legacy format, but no one will play legacy aside from the "ultra rich" players with the brokenly strong decks (which I certainly don't have).

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I still haven't played another game since my last post. I do login daily for my reward and checking the shop for a decent sale. My main decks were Crag Hack and recycle Adar.

Kinda shitty of them to sell the Road to Paris deck that had a ton of banned cards, not to mention the Ishuma alternate alt. I do love the changes, no more mill, no more prison, awesomesauce. Raya not banned fucking blows and I might go Sanctuary just for that.

Currently sitting on 40k gold, 4.3k seals, 37 swiss tickets and 65 wildcards. Should be enough to get me any deck I decide to play.

edit : did they say when this expansion is going to hit ?

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
While I actually don't mind them adding Formats, what annoys me is they basically gutted every type of deck except midrange creature. Main draw of the game to me was it allowed control style decks that I enjoyed from my Magic days, now that's totally gone. Only thing I can figure is they listened to the whiners complaining about control decks, and moved the game towards Hearthstone, problem is, why play DoC when Hearthstone is clearly superior if you are just looking for a game where you bash creatures against each other.