Dune: Part Two (2023)

tugofpeace

Lord Nagafen Raider
I saw it the first time in a regular theater with reclining seats.. literally dozed off halfway into it and thought the movie sucked lmao.

Second time I saw it, went to an imax.. holy moly. Probably the best movie and movie experience I've had, ever, aside from maybe Return of the King.

I'm so excited for this to come out on blu-ray so I can watch it at home. I really hope the third one is made.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw this in imax, it was badass overall. The rumbling bass going on for several minutes during the worm scenes was great. The various missile attacks were badass.

Felt rushed at the end, walken was a miscast. Other than that it was a great ride. Wish they added 30-60 minutes to each movie.
First, I loved the movie and I'm definitely looking forward to the third, but this one did have problems.

I completely agree about Walken. His character is supposed to have some significant weight/charisma and he didn't come across as particularly villainous, threatening, intimidating, or clever. He struck me as any one-in-a-thousand old men filled with delusions of their own grandeur. He was basic. Replaceable.

I also felt like some scenes were rushed. Including the ending. I'm not sure what they were going for, but I 'think' they may have been leaning into the fact that a change in power often happens without any pageantry or fanfare whatsoever and it being a very boring, matter-of-fact event. However, in some situations, reality doesn't make good cinema. Certainly not in a larger-than-life Sci-fi drama with the scope Dune.

Lastly, these movies are objectively much worse without Javier Bardem.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
You think these people know any of the material or people they interview? They're hand puppets. Did you see the lady that interviewed Dana White and thought he was Joe Rogan?

gives me an excuse to re-post this gem:

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

tugofpeace

Lord Nagafen Raider
One thing that bothered me was the "strong wahmen" vibe since the screen flashed to Zendaya's face giving a stern look, several times. Did this movie go woke? Or is that part of the story?

• 2Picard
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
One thing that bothered me was the "strong wahmen" vibe since the screen flashed to Zendaya's face giving a stern look, several times. Did this movie go woke? Or is that part of the story?
Exact opposite of what happens in the book.

• 2Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lastly, these movies are objectively much worse without Javier Bardem.
Dune without Javier/Stilgar is 100% a different movie. I think everyone does a good job besides Walken but without Javier in lowers the movie a lot more than it should

• 1Like

tugofpeace

Lord Nagafen Raider
Exact opposite of what happens in the book.

Ugh. Damnit, they have to put their woke hands into everything these days..

Were there even black people in the book?

Regardless, my opinion on the movie doesn't change, still 10/10.

• 1Like

nu_11

Ugh. Damnit, they have to put their woke hands into everything these days..

Were there even black people in the book?
Liet Kynes is a white man not a black woman

Most of Fremen culture is based on Middle East culture with a dash of Native American.

Blacks are overrepresented because in the eyes of Denis Villenueve all browns and blacks are the same

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Paul always screwed her over, how was it opposite? SHe was never happy about the bullshit
She wasn't as prominent in the books.

Now that it's been awhile since I went and watched this I think I prefer the first one to this one though I think both are excellent. Just something about Dune has me caring more about world building than any particular event.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think everyone does a good job besides Walken
Jason Momoa Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

tugofpeace

Lord Nagafen Raider
Liet Kynes is a white man not a black woman

Most of Fremen culture is based on Middle East culture with a dash of Native American.

Blacks are overrepresented because in the eyes of Denis Villenueve all browns and blacks are the same

Interesting..

"Although always depicted as a white man, the character is now played by Sharon Duncan-Brewster (Rogue One), a black woman. “What Denis had stated to me was there was a lack of female characters in his cast, and he had always been very feminist, pro-women, and wanted to write the role for a woman,” Duncan-Brewster says."

Dang. Well, maybe it's good I haven't read the books because I won't really know how much has been changed due to woke agenda lol. Ignorance is bliss.

Atleast the movie is so well done that it's mostly pretty difficult to spot the wokeism. The only parts to me were Liet Kynes and the constant zooming in on Zendaya's angry/aggressive face.

Last edited:
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I completely agree about Walken. His character is supposed to have some significant weight/charisma and he didn't come across as particularly villainous, threatening, intimidating, or clever. He struck me as any one-in-a-thousand old men filled with delusions of their own grandeur. He was basic. Replaceable.

I agree with everything you said but this part. This is how he always felt to me in the books and the original movie. Shaddam IV was probably the weakest of all the emperors from his house's 10,000-year rule. The Bene Gesserit knew he wasn't anything special and wouldn't give him a son even with them thinking the Kwisatz Haderach was maybe a generation or two off (hopefully). His poor rule had the nobles, through the Atreides, threatening to overthrow him (at least in his mind). Etc, etc.

Walken could have been miscast for delivering more than the Emperor would deserve. He played the part well. Shaddam had no significant weight, charisma, villainy, etc outside of control of the Sardukar. As in the movie, without that, he was a paper tiger.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Interesting..

"Although always depicted as a white man, the character is now played by Sharon Duncan-Brewster (Rogue One), a black woman. “What Denis had stated to me was there was a lack of female characters in his cast, and he had always been very feminist, pro-women, and wanted to write the role for a woman,” Duncan-Brewster says."

Dang. Well, maybe it's good I haven't read the books because I won't really know how much has been changed due to woke agenda lol. Ignorance is bliss.

Atleast the movie is so well done that it's mostly pretty difficult to spot the wokeism. The only parts to me were Liet Kynes and the constant zooming in on Zendaya's angry/aggressive face.
Go read the first book and then compare and contrast. You don't even need to read the rest of them.

I read them all and I don't care for the last film very much, and I'll wait till streaming to watch the second. I also like the miniseries and the David Lynch version a lot because they were very faithful to the books, despite neither productions looking as amazing as the new ones are. I also suggest you watch those after you've read the book, then you can see how good they were in their ways.

Just go read the damn thing.

tugofpeace

Lord Nagafen Raider
Go read the first book and then compare and contrast. You don't even need to read the rest of them.

I read them all and I don't care for the last film very much, and I'll wait till streaming to watch the second. I also like the miniseries and the David Lynch version a lot because they were very faithful to the books, despite neither productions looking as amazing as the new ones are. I also suggest you watch those after you've read the book, then you can see how good they were in their ways.

Just go read the damn thing.

I haven't read a fiction book in a long time, but this series looks appealing. I read a preview on amazon and it's not a difficult read so I might just read them all.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I haven't read a fiction book in a long time, but this series looks appealing. I read a preview on amazon and it's not a difficult read so I might just read them all.
They're classics of science fiction and they should be read. As the series progresses though they get pretty out there, but you could read the first one and be happy. Hell get the damn audio version, I've got it, and the Simon Vance performance is really good, but he always does a good job if he's narrating a book.

Better than watching a fucking movie.

tugofpeace

Lord Nagafen Raider
They're classics of science fiction and they should be read. As the series progresses though they get pretty out there, but you could read the first one and be happy. Hell get the damn audio version, I've got it, and the Simon Vance performance is really good, but he always does a good job if he's narrating a book.

Better than watching a fucking movie.
Eh, I dont mind reading, audiobooks will put me to sleep.

As for better than watching a movie.. I agree if we're talking about Harry Potter, but idk about Dune. Guess I'll have to find out, but I will say the movie was incredible. 10/10, you're missing out if you haven't seen it in imax

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
The Bene Gesserit are definitely the Jews of the Dune universe.

With that said, why did the Houses reject Paul's ascendacy at the end? Was it like that in the series?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

With that said, why did the Houses reject Paul's ascendacy at the end? Was it like that in the series?

They all want a chance at the throne. Acceding to his claim would just be giving in to the rule of House Atredies for the foreseeable future.

• 2Like

Juvarisx

Florida

They let him win in the book, but it really causes Messiah to drag. A lot of the changes here are based on this being a trilogy instead of it being "well its a whole new story" and its better for it. Chani actually being a character is an obvious improvement. Creepy kid being replaced by ANa Taylor Joy makes sense for a more general audience. If they do ghola i will eat my hat, so my guess it will be Paul trying to keep power against the Spacing Guild / Bene Gesserit and dealing with the fact that Chani is pissed, with a 20ish min jihad scene(s) at the start showing how he took over.

• 1Like