Dungeons & Dragons - New & Old

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Now for some good things about 5e.

Advantage and Inspiration looks cool.

DMs running 5e have two tools at their disposal to reward good roleplaying and improvise during a shifting story.

The first tool is "advantage". When granted advantage, a character can roll twice on a d20 roll and take the better result. 5e DMs can institute this mechanic in a variety of situations or environments such as moving to high ground, conducting a well planned bit of subterfuge, or spending some time to plan a first strike attack. Advantage is a powerful bonus when given, roughly equivalent to a +3 to +5 bonus depending on the target DC. You won't want to give it out all the time, but when you do, it will really matter to the PC's action.

The second tool is "inspiration". Inspiration is a reward for good roleplaying. When a player has their PC act true to its character, even if it's not the optimal choice from a gameplay perspective, the DM can give the character "inspiration" which, when used, gives them advantage on a d20 roll of their choice.

These two tools give DMs a great way to empower PCs and reward players for coming up with creative and unplanned solutions to their problems. These tools build trust with our players and empower PCs to act beyond the mechanics of their character sheet. They reinforce the basic idea that D&D is a game about interactive storytelling focusing on action, exploration, and interaction.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
The battle grid is optional.

As mentioned in a discussion of the D&D Starter Set between myself and Enrique Bertran, the lack of a tactical battle map may be the first thing a 4e DM will notice. There are no maps, no tokens, no miniatures, and no visual tactical descriptions of the combat encounters included in the D&D Starter Set. This doesn't mean you can't run tactical battles. Instead, it means we have many options for running combat encounters, both on and off the grid. Here are some example ways we might run combat in 5e.
.Narrative Combat: The DM describes the scene, players describe the actions of their PCs, dice are rolled, and the DM describes the outcome.
.Abstract Sketches: The DM draws loose sketches, not to scale, to show some details of an area. Players describe where they want to go, and the DM adjudicates.
.Abstract Combat on Tactical Maps: The DM uses a battle map but combat distances are abstracted. The grid doesn't really mean anything or might measure distances greater than 5 feet.
.4e-style Gridded Combat: Squares are five feet and much of the battle takes place as it did in 4th edition. Diagonal movement just counts as a square and bursts and blasts are done in the style of 4th edition.
.3.5e and Pathfinder Style Gridded combat: Combat takes place on a grid, Every other diagonal move counts as 10 feet, bursts and blasts are as close to circular as you can make them.

Because 5e D&D is flexible in how it approaches combat, any of these styles can work well and give you option for faster abstract combat or lengthier and more tactical battles.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Treasure, and especially gold, matter.

Because of the flat math system and return of crafting, finding a hoard of gold will be cool again instead of "Oh, we leveled, where's all the treasure the DMG told you to give us."

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Now for some good things about 5e.

Advantage and Inspiration looks cool.
Advantage really isn't effectively different from a Situational Bonus to a skill or attack action. It is, however, more fun for the player to roll twice.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If they made new Planescape sourcebooks for 5E, with new DiTerlizzi artwork, they can shut up and take all my money.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Treasure, and especially gold, matter.

Because of the flat math system and return of crafting, finding a hoard of gold will be cool again instead of "Oh, we leveled, where's all the treasure the DMG told you to give us."
I have serious concerns about the kinds of campaigns some of you played in.

Grimsark

If they made new Planescape sourcebooks for 5E, with new DiTerlizzi artwork, they can shut up and take all my money.
This.
smile.png

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I have serious concerns about the kinds of campaigns some of you played in.
The kind where the DM flat out said, build a min/max level 10 character. Assume x amount of gold per level. Equip gear when you level (IE, level 1 rewards are used when you hit level 2). Drop the character back to level 1, and let's kill shit.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That doesn't have anything to do with the system and everything to do with the person running the game.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
That doesn't have anything to do with the system and everything to do with the person running the game.
Yeah, that was my first 4e DM. Game went two years every other Saturday and it was a blast.

Until he brought in the deck of something or other from 3.5 and everyone killed themselves gambling for sex slaves.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Paizo has put out better products than Wizards of the Coast for years now. That is why its killing them. They should have done 4th edition as a spin off. Everyone is happy then.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I only this year bothered to actually read through a Pathfinder PHB and what stuck out immediately was all the flavor. Everything from 3.5 had a bit of salt and pepper sprinkled on it. It reeked ofeffort.Oh, this is why people speak so highly of this.

If I was going to set one design goal for a new edition of Dungeons and Dragons it would be to mend the fractured player base. I don't know how you do it and I don't know if it can be done but I would very much like to see it happen. If I polled each player of Dungeons and Dragons that I've played something with I don't think even one in four would say they were buying a 5th edition PHB.

Rime

<Donor>
I remember my first copy of the 2nd Edition Monster Manual. So much lore. Information about every creatures living habits, society, what it ate, so on. I looked at a recent (4ed) manual and all of that 'fluff' was missing. It made me sad.

Grimsark

I remember my first copy of the 2nd Edition Monster Manual. So much lore. Information about every creatures living habits, society, what it ate, so on. I looked at a recent (4ed) manual and all of that 'fluff' was missing. It made me sad.
Whats strange, is that according to TSR/WotC in 3e, the reason they cut all that out was due to the complaints that people didn't want to pay for so much 'FLUFF' in core products. That stuff should be left for supplements and non-core rule books. Its why they printed things like theDraconomicon,Libris Mortis, theFiendish Codex's, andLords of Madness... etc...

It also gave them excuses to expand their product line. Which casts a dubious light on their excuses.

Either way, I quickly appreciated the stat blocks minus the fluff. And I come from the days were the 2ed Monster Manuals were three ring binders where every monster had an entire page side to itself. Fluff and all. What a mistake that was. Three ring binders and inserts do NOT age as well as hard backed books.

Sterling

El Presidente
2nd Ed was Monstrous Compendium and had a bunch of volumes. They really juiced up Dragons from 1st Ed.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I personally love the fluff because when you roll as an enemy, you need to know how it will act. The creators of Rappan Athuk has just that. Each encounter is essentially one full page -- the final boss is about 2 or 3 pages alone. 700 pages of action. /shrug

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Fill the books with numbers and then have a free downloadable PDF with all the lore. Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion is an item book and one of the last released 4th edition products and the bulk of it is fluff. It didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth at all.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The kind where the DM flat out said, build a min/max level 10 character. Assume x amount of gold per level. Equip gear when you level (IE, level 1 rewards are used when you hit level 2). Drop the character back to level 1, and let's kill shit.
That sounds terrible.