Dunkirk (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah except being unrated or even nc-17 is a defacto ban. Fuck the MPAA and fuck everyone who keeps the rating system in place.

That has more to do with the consolidation of the theater industry into a handful of mega chains that have to be placated than anything else. And those chains wanting a standard system for audiences to be able to use as a guide. There's enough of a demand out there from that audience that another rating system would just replace the MPAA's if it were to ever go away (and in fact others do, they just tend to be more narrowly focused in their standards).

Besides, with the critical success of Saving Private Ryan with it's R rating do you really think Christopher Nolan felt the need to avoid going past a PG-13 or was pressured not to by the studio? The dude is a god in halls of Warner Brothers.

spronk

FPS noob
love almost all of nolan's films but zero desire to see this, I wonder if I am alone in that thought. I've seen saving private ryan and Band of Brothers, i have no desire whatsoever to see another WW2 movie unless maybe it takes place in the pacific or does something different (Inglorious Basterds). Too brutal and way too real to "enjoy", just something I'd feel real sad about. I love Nolan, but for his crazy stories and spectacle, I would never watch a movie he made (in theaters anyways) about the holocaust, slavery, real WW1 or WW2, Vietnam, etc.

Gonna be interesting to see if the fan base is more loyal to him than to his movie ideas, and/or if there is enough of an audience of people who want to see a big screen WW2 movie. Expensive experiment though.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That has more to do with the consolidation of the theater industry into a handful of mega chains that have to be placated than anything else. And those chains wanting a standard system for audiences to be able to use as a guide. There's enough of a demand out there from that audience that another rating system would just replace the MPAA's if it were to ever go away (and in fact others do, they just tend to be more narrowly focused in their standards).

Besides, with the critical success of Saving Private Ryan with it's R rating do you really think Christopher Nolan felt the need to avoid going past a PG-13 or was pressured not to by the studio? The dude is a god in halls of Warner Brothers.
Stop defending censorship and retardation.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
LOL in reality, how many unrated movies have Cinemark and AMC run on their screens?

I couldn't tell ya. Not many I'm sure. I believe AMC doesn't carry them as a policy. Cinemark I have no idea. It doesn't matter though. If the MPAA rating system didn't exist another would that does the same thing because there is a sufficient demand in the marketplace for that sort of guideline. Granted many of us here don't aren't part of that demand, but it's there. So one would exist in it's absence, most likely instituted by the major chains themselves under some sort of co-operative. The MPAA system just allows the studios themselves to set the standards.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nolan's only ever done 1 R movie, everything else has been PG-13 so it could easily have just been his choice. It looks like a fair bit of blood in the trailer though, and also very little CQC, so I could see it being irrelevant. At this point the only kind of war movies I like are ridiculous (awesome) ones like Inglourious Bastards so probably skip it anyway unless I get dragged to it in a group.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I'm actually excited to see this based on the trailers so far. I usually don't like movies about battles that our side lost, like Black Hawk Down, for instance, or a lot of Vietnam movies. Why glorify the time we got our asses kicked?

Thankfully this movie doesn't seem to do that, and the aerial fights they're showing in the trailer look pretty awesome to me. I'm optimistic considering the trailer and Nolan's track record.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I'm actually excited to see this based on the trailers so far. I usually don't like movies about battles that our side lost, like Black Hawk Down, for instance, or a lot of Vietnam movies. Why glorify the time we got our asses kicked?

Thankfully this movie doesn't seem to do that, and the aerial fights they're showing in the trailer look pretty awesome to me. I'm optimistic considering the trailer and Nolan's track record.

In either case we didn't get our asses kicked, we just didn't have the political capital or moral will to do what needed to be done to achieve victory.

cypis

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty sure not being able to do what's needed to be done to achieve victory is the definition of losing.

Fadaar

That guy
Completely unrelated to the movie, but I'm getting really sleepy and found this way too funny.

Untitled.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Probably going to see this in the theater. I'm not a hardcore Nolan fan but I'm usually good for at least one viewing of his movies.

CLS did a run down of the historical event today if you're in need of a refresher.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
The 7-minute prologue (not a trailer, just what seemed to be just a straight 7 minutes from the movie) showing the stuff leading up to the action was super tense and an IMAX exclusive before Rogue One. Pretty much sold me on seeing it in IMAX right then and there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Probably going to see this in the theater. I'm not a hardcore Nolan fan but I'm usually good for at least one viewing of his movies.

CLS did a run down of the historical event today if you're in need of a refresher.

This is junk movie version of history, watch military history visualized for more accuracy imo

Juvarisx

Florida
Nolan's best film, and its on par with Saving Private Ryan. Don;t be worried its not rated R, it did not need to be, its not about the horrors of war its about the tension and terror of soldiers being stranded, surrounded and the underlying doom they must have felt being trapped in Dunkirk.

IMAX is highly recommended for this I saw it on one of the 70mm showings and its gorgeous. This will win A LOT of awards come that time, he made a movie with 2 total pages of dialogue (there might have been more maybe), and it kept you glued to your seat is a feat on its own.

Small edit. This is not a movie for speeches or heroic last stands or anything of the like. Its as fact based a war movie as I have ever seen. Some of the negative reviews have pointed to this as a bad thing, but I think the lack of emotion you would expect from a war film was a fresh take on it. Its not documentary level or anything however.

Not sure when I will get the clock ticking from Zimmers score out of my head.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users