Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone doing a playthrough for the DLC with some try hard rules like no spirit summons, jewelry etc? Anyone play the game before like that?

Last couple play throughs I've done without spirit summons. Once you've played the game a couple times and really learn the boss mechanics and how to efficiently level stats etc, it kinda becomes mandatory to not make the game too simple.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Since the Dark Souls thread is pretty dead I'll just ask this here:

Speedrunning Dark Souls 1 (PB 10 hours or so) with a Guts build. Using a Greatsword. What should I aim at for infusion? Lightning +5 seems to have pretty much equivalent attack to maxed-out regular, plus lightning. Fire +5 is also real good. So am I right that lightning is probably the way to go? If I get Power Within and Leo Ring I should be able to crush bosses. Will get those if I start to run into any real trouble, which I haven't so far.

Dark Souls 2 is an easier choice because the normal Greatsword gets S scaling in Str when maxed out and seems to be easily the best option there. Though I've heard that Raw Greatsword is better? Maybe if you're keeping levels low, I'd think.

Also Dark Souls 2 is way way way harder for me than Souls 1 or Demon and I'm not sure why that is. I just die constantly in Souls 2 and find the whole game kind of annoying, but it is very pretty to look at and the world's pretty mysterious. Even a meh Souls game is outstanding.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here I am over here raging against Mohg (still) and now the stupid fucking Fire Giant thinking I'm achieving "great things" because I got this far without using summons.

And this guy is doing them all hitless while using a saxophone to play?!

Lol. What in the actual fuck, indeed!

• 1Worf
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Since the Dark Souls thread is pretty dead I'll just ask this here:

Speedrunning Dark Souls 1 (PB 10 hours or so) with a Guts build. Using a Greatsword. What should I aim at for infusion? Lightning +5 seems to have pretty much equivalent attack to maxed-out regular, plus lightning. Fire +5 is also real good. So am I right that lightning is probably the way to go? If I get Power Within and Leo Ring I should be able to crush bosses. Will get those if I start to run into any real trouble, which I haven't so far.

Dark Souls 2 is an easier choice because the normal Greatsword gets S scaling in Str when maxed out and seems to be easily the best option there. Though I've heard that Raw Greatsword is better? Maybe if you're keeping levels low, I'd think.

Also Dark Souls 2 is way way way harder for me than Souls 1 or Demon and I'm not sure why that is. I just die constantly in Souls 2 and find the whole game kind of annoying, but it is very pretty to look at and the world's pretty mysterious. Even a meh Souls game is outstanding.
DS2 is really two games. The base parts, everything gets raped by dark magic and lightning. The expansions, most shit is very resistant to magic but is somewhat vulnerable to one of the physical damage types. Also remember that DS2 has mobs go extinct if you kill them enough times (unless you level up the zone) and a couple areas you can level up that are not much harder than the first cycle but then the boss drops something new thats usually powerful. The Sinner is a good example of that.

If you are going full Unga Bunga, then just use one time buffs where you feel you need the lightning. If you are mixing in faith to any degree, then craft it lightning for the core game parts and then switch back to either base or RAW depending on whatever gives more attack at that point.

Bear in mind that the best PvE weapons in DS2 are generally Halberds because they can do multiple types of physical damage depending on what move you use. The BK Halberd is arguably one of the strongest all around weapons of the entire game and includes fire damage. But.... if greatswords are your thing, the one you get from the Last Giant early in the game eventually ends up being one of the strongest in the entire game. The MLGS in this game is arguably the weakest its been in any From game, but still usable. Sinner GS is fantastic, though.

DS2 is the hardest game of the series, overall with all content considered in it, for a few reasons. First is the options for cheesing encounters are much more limited in this incarnation, despite having some of the strongest spells. Second, the optional boss fights are the hardest of the entire series, with the two cats and the tripple red phantom fights topping the list. The runbacks are also among the nastiest in the entire series, unless you are willing to extinct an entire zone to eliminate that (which is sometimes a good souls farm anyhow). Lastly, it has a large number of giant fuck you melee guy type fights for both bosses and hall trash. I would also add that this is a game where sometimes having a shield is mandatory if you intend to melee certain enemies, which is quite unlike most of the other games in the series.

Difficulty is easier in other games for a number of reasons. DS1 was mostly hard because it was a new experience for most people (see also Demons Souls). DS3 had a couple individual ball buster fights (Midir and Nameless King), but was otherwise fairly standard with good farming options with a very broad variety of strategy options. ER took that and added the flexibility (and exploitability) of an open world, with the optional boss Melenia being the only absurdly tough fight in the game.

• 3Like

Bald Brah

Silver Squire
This game is stupidly easy with lions claw ash and str/fire build. Trade out str/fire for dex/lighting on fire immune bosses. You might have to respec twice. And lol at lions claw after you get mimic tear.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
DS2 is really two games. The base parts, everything gets raped by dark magic and lightning. The expansions, most shit is very resistant to magic but is somewhat vulnerable to one of the physical damage types. Also remember that DS2 has mobs go extinct if you kill them enough times (unless you level up the zone) and a couple areas you can level up that are not much harder than the first cycle but then the boss drops something new thats usually powerful. The Sinner is a good example of that.

If you are going full Unga Bunga, then just use one time buffs where you feel you need the lightning. If you are mixing in faith to any degree, then craft it lightning for the core game parts and then switch back to either base or RAW depending on whatever gives more attack at that point.

Bear in mind that the best PvE weapons in DS2 are generally Halberds because they can do multiple types of physical damage depending on what move you use. The BK Halberd is arguably one of the strongest all around weapons of the entire game and includes fire damage. But.... if greatswords are your thing, the one you get from the Last Giant early in the game eventually ends up being one of the strongest in the entire game. The MLGS in this game is arguably the weakest its been in any From game, but still usable. Sinner GS is fantastic, though.

DS2 is the hardest game of the series, overall with all content considered in it, for a few reasons. First is the options for cheesing encounters are much more limited in this incarnation, despite having some of the strongest spells. Second, the optional boss fights are the hardest of the entire series, with the two cats and the tripple red phantom fights topping the list. The runbacks are also among the nastiest in the entire series, unless you are willing to extinct an entire zone to eliminate that (which is sometimes a good souls farm anyhow). Lastly, it has a large number of giant fuck you melee guy type fights for both bosses and hall trash. I would also add that this is a game where sometimes having a shield is mandatory if you intend to melee certain enemies, which is quite unlike most of the other games in the series.

Difficulty is easier in other games for a number of reasons. DS1 was mostly hard because it was a new experience for most people (see also Demons Souls). DS3 had a couple individual ball buster fights (Midir and Nameless King), but was otherwise fairly standard with good farming options with a very broad variety of strategy options. ER took that and added the flexibility (and exploitability) of an open world, with the optional boss Melenia being the only absurdly tough fight in the game.

What greatsword does Lost Giant have? AFAIK his soul can only be traded for an axe.

I got the Greatsword from the No Man's Wharf, which is very Berserk-like. Was a real challenge to sprint to at low level, took lots of tries and I barely got it when I finally did. Got out of the room and boned out as quick as possible.

And yeah Souls 2 is the biggest PITA out of all of them, not sure I'm even gonna run it in this pre-SOTE Souls run. Probably will though. Enemies despawning at 10 kills is actually something I like, given how hard the game is and how brutal the runbacks are. I can plow all of Dark Souls 1 in ten hours or less but Dark Souls 2 I'm probably still dying a lot on the 5th area or so by the time 10 hours are up. I like to clear Heide's Tower of Flame on a new DS2 game because each fight there gives nice EXP (at low levels) and they all feel like minibosses. Each platform has a foe or two to deal with, and beating all of them 10x and clearing the zone is a ton of levels. Plus then you can walk around the level unharassed and enjoy what is one of the prettier zones in the entire series. Not sure how to get rid of the damn dragon though outside of arrow gimping.

Still never played Souls 3, leaving it for some distant time so I still have one that's entirely new. I still get a lot out of playing the others so it isn't like I've ever run out of content. Souls 2 is my least-played and almost feels new still.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I do the same thing in Heide Tower for XP and also for the materials. Plus thats an area I typically use a reset item on because its not that much harder in NG+ and the second time drops from it are pretty nice. The dragon is actually fairly easy if you get in close and know to run away when he launches a fire breath, especially if you are two hand unga bunga. The practice pays, because there is a whole zone with them as yard trash where you def want to kill them all for the mats. The run up to the twin princes is another great one to clear out and farm, because once you unlock the shortcut you can come at it from behind which makes the entire run (in this case down) the long stair ramp way easier.

DS3 is basically a much more refined version of DS2 with some of the better elements of DS1, but you can see the twitch play of Bloodborne creeping into the design along with the autotracking feints that really plague ER. The enemy and zone variety is rock solid, though. It also has two of the hardest boss fights that are not cheap in any way, with Nameless King (optional) and Midir (DLC optional boss).

And you are right about the axe. I was thinking of the Hollowslayer greatsword that drops off of the first main boss of DS3. If you are decent at the giant spider boss, thats another great spot to burn the thing to level up the area for another run at that boss. It does not get much harder, has no new attacks/tricks, and it drops the soul for the MLGS on the second kill. MLGS has the issue of burning durability in DS2, but the shot costs no mana and the repair spell is really cheap to cast, so its really strong in DS2 even with all the magic resist in the DLC parts.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I’ve gotta stop reading this thread, now I’m wanting to replay all the DS games after ER. I’m supposed to be working on my Shining Force game dammit.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I’ve gotta stop reading this thread, now I’m wanting to replay all the DS games after ER. I’m supposed to be working on my Shining Force game dammit.
Fuck, I had Shining in the Darkness and Shining Force for the Genesis. Forgot about those games. Is there some sort of PC port?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Fuck, I had Shining in the Darkness and Shining Force for the Genesis. Forgot about those games. Is there some sort of PC port?

The SF games are on Steam, as well as a Sega bundle on PlayStation. Since Nov or so I’ve been working on a SF-like game of my own, hoping to launch a Kickstarter by Q3 this year.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well all old games can be emulated. I vaguely remember them being re-released too in some Sega compilation.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah, one conundrum I'm facing in Berserk Souls is that I don't think there are any capes in most of them. Elden Ring has capes obviously, but I don't think the others do. Managed to get the Souls 1 Guts looking very much like Guts outfit-wise even without the cape, so that's cool. I need to find something in Souls 2 that looks remotely like a Guts outfit. Jacked the merchant's suit for the +25% EXP right at the beginning and will probably use that for a while (if I continue playing it).

I'm definitely going to finish DS1 and Demon, having a ball with those speedruns and I'm about halfway done with both. Souls 2 I'm only a short way into and already died more times than Demon+Dark combined so IDK.

Don't think I can make a Berserk character in Bloodborne, the characters are too thin and wirey. So that one might be out as far as a speedrun goes.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

It's on steam. Sega Genesis Classics. I have the Xbox version and play through Shining Force every few years. Great games, and a testament to the era of poor graphics but good art. I remember renting Shining Force for like 4 weekends in a row praying nobody got it during the week and overwrote my save. One of my favorite games of all time.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Any advice on equipment that resembles Guts from Berserk? Mainly need a weapon that resembles his giant sword. Gonna try a Guts playthrough for the DLC. Been tooling around with Guts playthroughs in some of the older games.

Demon Souls has the Dragon Bone Smasher, Dark Souls has the Greatsword (then later Gwyn's greatsword in NG+), and I haven't gotten to it but Dark Souls 2 has a few Guts options that are finally a bit more spot-on. Kinda feels like playing as chonky Str build Guts is "playing as intended" since I only played these as speedy dex characters and casters in the past.

View attachment 523163
This is the type of weapon I'm looking for, hopefully ER has a few similar weaps that don't suck.

Use the lion's claw ash of war. It's the move he use on Grunbeld when breaking his hammer. The Greatsword with that ash of war will allow you to destroy most things pretty quickly.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Some Berserk cosplay:

18eb13b06d583-screenshotUrl.jpg

Demon Souls w/ Dragon Bone Smasher

18eabc5372c77-screenshotUrl.jpg

Dark Souls w/ Greatsword

18ec0c4327f80-screenshotUrl.jpg

Dark Souls 2 w/ Greatsword. The +25% EXP costume kinda messes up the look, I'll get a more accurate outfit later on.

All of these Guts can be put together really early in their respective games (DBS is the only weapon that's kinda far in).

Tried making Guts in Bloodborne and it isn't really doable. I'll make an ER Guts at some point and beeline for the Greatsword and the Lion's Claw.

• 2Like

Heian

Molten Core Raider
In Dark soul 1 the Balder Side Sword used pretty much Griffith's moveset. In Dark Soul 3 the lothric knight sword was visually pretty much Casca' sword. After reading this thread I just started a new character. No idea what to play. I'm open ro suggestions. In other soul games I played mostly quality straight sword user. Went this way in Elden Ring but the quality build were pretty weak 1 year ago.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
18ec1c7f55885-screenshotUrl.jpg

Demon Souls Remake: The game so good-looking that even the poison swamp looks amazing.

Pretty much done with this one, 9 hours played over the past week and all I have left are World 3 and 1-4.

H Heian I'd go with a build you haven't played before. I'm running Str builds which I never did before and it's like a totally different series.

While Demon Souls wasn't bad at all to get through, Dark Souls (6 hours in, halfway) is surprisingly putting up a fight. I say surprisingly because I've beaten that game so many times and generally found it the easiest of the bunch. Well, the Guts build runs into issues in the second half. Once the Lordvessel is placed and I have to find the four lord souls, my previously-mighty Greatsword seems to be doing chip damage against every boss I fight and I keep getting BTFO'd. It's at +5 now, maybe I need to focus on getting it to a higher level. Not sure if I should go for Normal +15 or Lightning +5. Have Strength at 35 which is 50 (the softcap) when two-handed, so that isn't the issue.

Ornstein and Smough were pretty easy with Solaire's help, but I don't think Four Kings is doable unless I get a major DPS increase. Gonna have to find the Leo Ring and Power Within after all.

Side note: I always found O&S really overrated as a boss and think Four Kings is the real test / rank fight of DS1. Four Kings is consistently the thing I have the most of a problem with.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Four Kings is just a DPS test. If you can burn down the spawns fast enough so you are not fighting multiples, you win, period end of sentence. O and S is tricky with the pair and timing, especially if you are trying to get the Ornstein drop from the fight. Plus when the game community is active, the run back to the fight is a favorite invasion spot for gankers.