1716101654469.gif

• 8Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
18f9212ee6062-screenshotUrl.jpg

Dark Souls 3 Update: Started it and played a couple hours before I had to go. Went with a Knight with the intention of making a Paladin-type character who can cast Faith spells. Named him Cecil (from FF4). Managed to not die until pretty late in the second zone (High Wall) when a couple of yard trash enemies I can beat in two hits managed to corner me and stunlock me to death. Buncha bullshit! I'm probably close to the end of said second zone because I've been there for a while. Keep running out of Estus and having to run back to the bonfire, usually around the same point where I have to fight a giant Smough-esque knight. I've got an item that increases flask charges by one but haven't found a way to use it yet. Unless you just use it from the inventory in this one which would be hilarious. I probably checked that though.

Never played a Paladin in any of the Souls games before, usually go for either a battlemage type fighter/damage caster or a Bloodborne style dexterity fighter with quick weapons. In the earlier games in this latest playthrough I went for str build characters for the first time ever and while that was a lot of fun, I'm going with something more balanced for this one. Going to stay fairly quick so I can roll fast and swing fast, no big two-handers most likely. Not sure what I want to spec for weapons and won't really know until I find a really good weapon* so I'm just putting points like 4:1 between HP and Faith for the moment.

* - What's a good weapon fairly early to midway through this game that I can shoot for? The thing that usually gets me into these games is finding out about some really good weap I can shoot for and build around.

18f9232b6a749-screenshotUrl.jpg

This looks like Cecil if he were played by music superstar Sting.

• 4Mother of God
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
View attachment 529446
Dark Souls 3 Update: Started it and played a couple hours before I had to go. Went with a Knight with the intention of making a Paladin-type character who can cast Faith spells. Named him Cecil (from FF4). Managed to not die until pretty late in the second zone (High Wall) when a couple of yard trash enemies I can beat in two hits managed to corner me and stunlock me to death. Buncha bullshit! I'm probably close to the end of said second zone because I've been there for a while. Keep running out of Estus and having to run back to the bonfire, usually around the same point where I have to fight a giant Smough-esque knight. I've got an item that increases flask charges by one but haven't found a way to use it yet. Unless you just use it from the inventory in this one which would be hilarious. I probably checked that though.

Never played a Paladin in any of the Souls games before, usually go for either a battlemage type fighter/damage caster or a Bloodborne style dexterity fighter with quick weapons. In the earlier games in this latest playthrough I went for str build characters for the first time ever and while that was a lot of fun, I'm going with something more balanced for this one. Going to stay fairly quick so I can roll fast and swing fast, no big two-handers most likely. Not sure what I want to spec for weapons and won't really know until I find a really good weapon* so I'm just putting points like 4:1 between HP and Faith for the moment.

* - What's a good weapon fairly early to midway through this game that I can shoot for? The thing that usually gets me into these games is finding out about some really good weap I can shoot for and build around.

View attachment 529447
Flask charge thing may just need to be used when youre resting at a bonfire but it's been so long I don't remember, glad you are giving it a playthrough though!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

When you first get to to the Fireshrine, one of the paths to the left there you will encounter a mob in front of a locked door. He hits hard, but you can kill him for a Uchigatana. Not sure that fits the "paladin" angle though. But fairly sure it's one of the best weapons you can get early on.

Can also cheese him

Spoilered some early stuff
If you go inside the shrine and up the stairs to the right, there is a tree in front of a locked door. You can run towards the tree and turn towards the roof just as you hit the root, and you'll be able to jump onto the roof. There are some things there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kroenen

Regimen Morum
View attachment 529446

View attachment 529447
DS3.jpg

• 19Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 21 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
When you first get to to the Fireshrine, one of the paths to the left there you will encounter a mob in front of a locked door. He hits hard, but you can kill him for a Uchigatana. Not sure that fits the "paladin" angle though. But fairly sure it's one of the best weapons you can get early on.

Can also cheese him

Spoilered some early stuff
If you go inside the shrine and up the stairs to the right, there is a tree in front of a locked door. You can run towards the tree and turn towards the roof just as you hit the root, and you'll be able to jump onto the roof. There are some things there.

18f932256e28-screenshotUrl.jpg

Vordt is defeated as of 6:30 PM Sunday. The axe with Dark element infused on it chunked his HP and really gimped the fight. Switched to my normal sword midway through to see if he was really that weak, and it did chip damage, so I suspect he's weak to Dark or maybe elements in general. Firebombs (which I threw a few of in the second phase) did almost nothing, despite him looking like he'd be weak to fire...

On the third area now, Undead Settlement. Should have checked back here because I just took my first death of the whole game against the Uchigatana swordsman. Took several deaths actually and finally got him down. Also bought the Tower Key and the next thing I'm doing is going up there and raiding the place.

I got a free level from Yoel, which was apparently a potential mistake that I'll have to pay for? I'm just winging it here. Don't even know wtf the Fire Keeper Soul does yet.

Gonna switch to Uchi after some Dexterity levels.

Wolfie's fine, Wolfie's just fine.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 529474
Vordt is defeated as of 6:30 PM Sunday. The axe with Dark element infused on it chunked his HP and really gimped the fight. Switched to my normal sword midway through to see if he was really that weak, and it did chip damage, so I suspect he's weak to Dark or maybe elements in general. Firebombs (which I threw a few of in the second phase) did almost nothing, despite him looking like he'd be weak to fire...

On the third area now, Undead Settlement. Should have checked back here because I just took my first death of the whole game against the Uchigatana swordsman. Took several deaths actually and finally got him down. Also bought the Tower Key and the next thing I'm doing is going up there and raiding the place.

I got a free level from Yoel, which was apparently a potential mistake that I'll have to pay for? I'm just winging it here. Don't even know wtf the Fire Keeper Soul does yet.

Gonna switch to Uchi after some Dexterity levels.

Wolfie's fine, Wolfie's just fine.

Son, I am not disappoint. Godspeed!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
18f936d5d6686-screenshotUrl.jpg

Well, "finding a decent weapon" isn't a problem in this game. The dark infused axe worked well up to this point, now I have to choose between Uchi, this ice longsword, and Vordt's weapon. I can't decide cause they're all really good.

Finished the third area, the tree boss was full of surprises. It sprang to life out of nowhere and I didn't expect the floor to collapse either. This game's awesome

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Chose Vordt's ring over the big OP frostbite weapon. The ring is also pretty OP, firing off heals regularly when I spam quick strikes.

Gear layout, which I think I'm gonna stick with for a long time: Irithyll Straight Sword, Grass Crest Shield / Knight's Shield (can't decide), Life Ring, Covetous Silver Serpent Ring, Estus Ring, Pontiff's Left Eye.

Need Twinkling Titanites to upgrade the sword/shield, and a lot of 'em. Is there any benefit to upgrading the Talisman that I cast Faith spells with? Got upgrade shards a-wasting. It looks like upgrading it only makes it stronger when you punch with it. Can't remember if this was the case with catalysts in the other games when I ran casters.

Paladin build is rough on level-ups. A lot of "classes" in these games only have 3, maybe 4 stats they have to worry about. Well, Paladin has 7 stats that it needs, everything except Int and Luck.

On Road of Sacrifices. A swamp level already? Was pretty much lost the whole time and it was the first zone I had any real dying in. Reached the boss and it's cool to finally see the Abyss Watchers firsthand.

How are the DLCs for this? Heard something about one of them being amazing, not sure which one. Ringed City certainly has the most interesting setting possibly in the DS trilogy. Ariandel looks like yet another snow area that probably takes some elements from the 6th Archstone.

Gonna get busy for a bit starting tomorrow but at least I got this rolling. I'll play the rest before ER.

Also, haven't seen any summon signs at all anywhere. No NPC summons, no player summons, nothin'. Playing online and I see plenty of messages on the ground. There some secret to enabling them? At least without any summons, I'm getting the full experience of the boss fights.

Edit: Abyss Watchers is the first real challenge of the game and the first thing to really halt my momentum to make me rethink my build/strategy. Was a cool surprise when they started fighting each other. Was less cool when the second form showed up and ran me over. Multiple-form bosses are the bane of my existence and this is the first one in this game. Still can't believe Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty opened up with a two-form first boss that probably filtered out half the players because it was tougher than anything else in the first half of the game.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Also, haven't seen any summon signs at all anywhere. No NPC summons, no player summons, nothin'. Playing online and I see plenty of messages on the ground. There some secret to enabling them? At least without any summons, I'm getting the full experience of the boss fights.
You have to use an Ember. The summon signs will only be visible to you in embered form.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I’ve never played Sekiro. Come at me.
It is so fucking good though… best played when you haven’t played any souls like in months because the gameplay and action economy is unique. Need stamina? Hold block. Dying often? Be far more aggressive, and use all those consumables you have been hoarding. There is no easy weapon build only learning when to jump, when to parry, when to throw that kunai…

• 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
View attachment 529484
Well, "finding a decent weapon" isn't a problem in this game. The dark infused axe worked well up to this point, now I have to choose between Uchi, this ice longsword, and Vordt's weapon. I can't decide cause they're all really good.

Finished the third area, the tree boss was full of surprises. It sprang to life out of nowhere and I didn't expect the floor to collapse either. This game's awesome
Straight sword is god mode, that sword is one of the best only out performed by dark knight sword. Only play style I like better is Fume Blade.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Beat the Abyss Watchers. Summoned the NPC after a couple tries because I just wanted to get it done and that second form was obnoxious.

After every boss I run back to the transmutation guy and turn the boss soul into a weapon. Some really good choices. Wolf Knight's Greatsword looks like Artorias' sword and has the somersault-slash (which is from Berserk, I think). Freaking awesome. I'm gonna stick with the straight sword, but damn, cool weapon here. I'm sure at some point I'll be glad I got it instead of using the soul for EXP. The best thing so far was Vordt's ring that causes attacks to heal me. His weapon looked really good too. Like I said, they left the player with some really interesting choices.

Got Talisman and Saint Talisman, with "Spell Buff" stats of 100 and 60 respectively and no other differences. I take it the one with 60 is worse than the one with 100? That's bizarre because it was much further in the game.

Tonight's the last of my hardcore DS3-ing for a bit due to RL, so we'll see how far I can get.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
18f980e2e2c37-screenshotUrl.jpg

Few more thoughts:

-High Lord Wolnir is a totally bullshit fight. My God. The frostbite AOE cloud is ridiculous. Looks cool though and the concept around the fight is a good one. The undead crypt zone is the first zone that I thought wasn't very good, and this is the first boss fight that I didn't like.

-Boreal Valley zone is stunningly gorgeous. I thought it was Anor Londo for a minute. Anor Londo must be the other higher-up zone nearby.

-I missed Cathedral of the Deep so I had to go back and find that. Got completely lost in that zone. What a sprawling monstrosity of a zone. I mean damn. Lot of super-strong enemies too, I think the game is outpacing my character strength now.

-Found Ashes of Ariandel and surprisingly the enemies are tough but doable even at my mid level (thought the DLCs were endgame-level... guessing Ringed City at least is). Nice snowy zone, wonder if it'll be another place with some influence from the 6th Archstone cut content.

Welp, that's it for now. Not sure how far into the game I got, but it's real good. Next time I've got Ariandel and Irithyll, one or the other.

Time for an ultra-nerdy reference: For me DS3 is like the Enterprise-C of Souls games. It's the missing link between the old ones and the new one (ER) and I'm seeing earlier versions of all these design elements from ER that I thought were unique to that game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That fight is actually really easy if you learn the reads on it. The AOE has a big obvious wind up and you can just run away from it. Its a fun fight once you understand it and bring the unga bunga to quickly crush the bracelets. If I remember right, the two hander you get from that fight is pretty damn amazing as well.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
View attachment 529591
Few more thoughts:

-High Lord Wolnir is a totally bullshit fight. My God. The frostbite AOE cloud is ridiculous. Looks cool though and the concept around the fight is a good one. The undead crypt zone is the first zone that I thought wasn't very good, and this is the first boss fight that I didn't like.

-Boreal Valley zone is stunningly gorgeous. I thought it was Anor Londo for a minute. Anor Londo must be the other higher-up zone nearby.

-I missed Cathedral of the Deep so I had to go back and find that. Got completely lost in that zone. What a sprawling monstrosity of a zone. I mean damn. Lot of super-strong enemies too, I think the game is outpacing my character strength now.

-Found Ashes of Ariandel and surprisingly the enemies are tough but doable even at my mid level (thought the DLCs were endgame-level... guessing Ringed City at least is). Nice snowy zone, wonder if it'll be another place with some influence from the 6th Archstone cut content.

Welp, that's it for now. Not sure how far into the game I got, but it's real good. Next time I've got Ariandel and Irithyll, one or the other.

Time for an ultra-nerdy reference: For me DS3 is like the Enterprise-C of Souls games. It's the missing link between the old ones and the new one (ER) and I'm seeing earlier versions of all these design elements from ER that I thought were unique to that game.
Thats about right for ashes, you hit some bullshit near the end where more levels help but doable fairly early. The last DLC is absolutely high level or perfect play.

• 1Like