Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Goonsquad Officer
I keep reading about how Stormveil is this huge castle with tons to do that is as big as all of Boletaria, etc. I don't get it, I ran through it just like any other area fairly quickly. Wonder if I missed a ton of stuff. I took the "death route" through the main gate rather than the side route, and basically beelined up to Godrick. And there's a basement area? Wot? Sounds like I owe that place a trip back and some actual exploration.
yea it forks pretty hard. if you go the side route it forks into 'cliffs' and outer edge. then you go through lots of wooden strut area, then up some tower, t hrough some cortyard. forks again to a high tower roof area, there's a deep underground area under it. lots of interior rooms. another courtyard. it feels really really big. if you try to explore all it's possible areas (and there's some decent items spread out in it) as well as unlockables, painting, spells, seed etc.

Goonsquad Officer
I've been killing every sheep and ram I ride by in the hopes there's some secret unlocked from killing 10,000 of each
i can't , i always run up and giggle as they roll away.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
i fucking love that the game has such weapon variety, that you can hone in on a style you love and use it to ride to victory.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It doesn't really occur to me in the moment because we usually just notice when it sucks, not when it's good, but this game's super short load times on PS5 are SUCH a boon. As huge as the world is, and with how you end up wanting to hop around all over the place, if the load times were like PS4 load times from previous DS games, fuck... 20-30 seconds per grace fast-travel? Fuck that shit.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Blueweed

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Stormvile Castle... I have returned a good few times to find there are still stuff to be cleared and most recently dicovered that very nasty stuff deep below... Omg

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
For those that care I use https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Bloodhound's+Fang through the entire game once I found it. The L2 into R2 is pure money(can be buffed as well), also any time you find a new weapon try all combos you can think of, didn't learn about the L2 into R2 for a good while. Some can combo into some really cool shit.

If you just read the description it tells you about L2 into R2. You guys need to read your shit!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It doesn't really occur to me in the moment because we usually just notice when it sucks, not when it's good, but this game's super short load times on PS5 are SUCH a boon. As huge as the world is, and with how you end up wanting to hop around all over the place, if the load times were like PS4 load times from previous DS games, fuck... 20-30 seconds per grace fast-travel? Fuck that shit.
Yeah the load times on pc are like 2 seconds. It’s awesome.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Optimization issues aside, this is the Best single player experience of all time, for me. Haven’t even beaten 3rd boss. 60 hours deep. The sense of discovery in FROM games is unparalleled.

broke out a notebook and wrote names, locations and details regarding npcs or points of interest. Haven’t done that since 1999 playing eq and some other rpgs. Not often do we get games like this. Take your time with it gents.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If you just read the description it tells you about L2 into R2. You guys need to read your shit!
9BF1D889-7676-4FD5-BFE0-737605151A5B.jpeg

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
For the people saying that Elden Ring doesn't "have a story", you couldn't be more wrong. The difference is that it DEMONSTRATES its story, it doesn't EXPLICATE it. It's so refreshing to have a game that just gives you little tidbits of lore, a metric FUCKLOAD of ambiance, atmosphere, scale, etc. and lets your mind fill in the rest. I'm certain my mind has filled in much cooler blanks about the story of Stormveil than what that fat fuck Martin would've "explained".

I'm not fucking 8, I don't need a game to tell me every fucking second of every fucking day and explain every single inch of the world. I really don't care what happened to that piece of tree bark 3,983 years ago.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For those that care I use https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Bloodhound's+Fang through the entire game once I found it. The L2 into R2 is pure money(can be buffed as well), also any time you find a new weapon try all combos you can think of, didn't learn about the L2 into R2 for a good while. Some can combo into some really cool shit.
I've been jumping weapons to keep things fresh and they did a really good job balancing the different attack modes so they are situationally useful. It's been a while but I remember in previous souls game spending most of my time leaning on 1 to 3 options.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For the people saying that Elden Ring doesn't "have a story", you couldn't be more wrong. The difference is that it DEMONSTRATES its story, it doesn't EXPLICATE it. It's so refreshing to have a game that just gives you little tidbits of lore, a metric FUCKLOAD of ambiance, atmosphere, scale, etc. and lets your mind fill in the rest. I'm certain my mind has filled in much cooler blanks about the story of Stormveil than what that fat fuck Martin would've "explained".

I'm not fucking 8, I don't need a game to tell me every fucking second of every fucking day and explain every single inch of the world. I really don't care what happened to that piece of tree bark 3,983 years ago.
For real.

So far what I got is that after the Shattering of the Elden Ring and the removal of the previous Elden Lord the Lands Between are in a kind of decay. Similar to other DS games.
Margit and some of the others. Especially the Grafted are like Demigods that lived before the Shattering but lost a lot of their power because of it. In order to regain their lost power they take Tarnished, who gain power via Rune collection and the blessings of Grace, and physically graft them to their bodies. Gaining their power and becoming abominations. That's all I really got so far.

The Demi-humans are another race that lives in Limgrave and cohabit the area.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Think I'm ready to switch things up. At 16 DEX/STR and 40 Faith. Been using exclusively the Winged Scythe with a Sacred Seal offhand for fireballs but since I can't use Ashes or Magic / Items on it, feels like I'm missing a lot of play options.

Any suggestions that would go along with the Faith build? I can respec but don't like the idea, just haven't come across any other weapon that scales with faith. I guess the idea of taking any weapon and using Ash to make it Faith based is a big component of what I've been missing since the Scythe couldn't use Ash. Maybe I'll just see what I have in inventor and try move sets to see what works.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Think I'm ready to switch things up. At 16 DEX/STR and 40 Faith. Been using exclusively the Winged Scythe with a Sacred Seal offhand for fireballs but since I can't use Ashes or Magic / Items on it, feels like I'm missing a lot of play options.

Any suggestions that would go along with the Faith build? I can respec but don't like the idea, just haven't come across any other weapon that scales with faith. I guess the idea of taking any weapon and using Ash to make it Faith based is a big component of what I've been missing since the Scythe couldn't use Ash. Maybe I'll just see what I have in inventor and try move sets to see what works.

There's a faith weapon in round table hold if you jump off that balcony, just dont go with a bunch of runes because there's an npc invader down there, but you can get the weapon without having to kill him

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ok, I give up... how the hell do I get over to that other rooftop? I can see a ladder in the bell tower that my character is facing that has a ladder in it that I assume leads over there, but I can't figure out how to get inside it.

rooftop secret.png

Any suggestions that would go along with the Faith build?
Blasphemous Blade

• 2Like

Goonsquad Officer
Ok, I give up... how the hell do I get over to that other rooftop? I can see a ladder in the bell tower that my character is facing that has a ladder in it that I assume leads over there, but I can't figure out how to get inside it.

View attachment 401201

Blasphemous Blade
heh i was goin to try to insinuate i knew how from memory but i thought it over and i'd have to go run around a few minutes haha. i THINK i've gotten that though.

also that's some classy ass armor

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
There's a faith weapon in round table hold if you jump off that balcony, just dont go with a bunch of runes because there's an npc invader down there, but you can get the weapon without having to kill him

I jumped down with a bunch of souls, and then the only thing I got was that faith weapon, then promptly died. Needless to say I was salty as fuck that I lost those souls for no reason since I'm not a faith build really.

That NPC is a fucker, too. Tried to kill him ~10 times to get my souls back but eventually gave up. That's the one thing this game is missing, homeward bones. There's no way to extricate your souls from a boss area.