Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Del

Vyemm Raider
I got my copy for $60 and I feel it was well worth it. Having a blast. Ended up staying up til 4am playing it last night.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I am getting a lot of mixed opinions on this one. Some people just find an empty universe, other people who put the time in find tons of fun stuff to do.

7e3.jpg

Skanda

I'm Amod too!

Guy goes to the slave revolt system to take a look. He manages to catch one of the Imperial Majestic class Interdictors jumping in at 11:15.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I tried playing around with this today. I got a mission to kill someone. Flew out to see if I could find him. Looks like I'm running out of fuel. Went to a nearby station. Docking rights refused. This game is great, wasted a good hour on that.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Unless you've pissed them off the only reason the stations will refuse docking rights is if you're too far away I believe. Need to be within 7.5km to ask for docking.

Del

Vyemm Raider
The starting area stations will refuse docking if they're full from all the players docking at the same time. You either have to spam requests and wait your turn or get the hell out of dodge and find a place with less players.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The game is very frustrating as a newbie player. I finally realized I could lock on to targets from my nav computer and that little circle thing near my targeter thing helped me find it. I also had to realize I have to manually slow down to come into a station. Apparently my ship's computer is not good enough to realize that if I'm within X distance, slow the fuck down for me please.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
The game is very frustrating as a newbie player. I finally realized I could lock on to targets from my nav computer and that little circle thing near my targeter thing helped me find it. I also had to realize I have to manually slow down to come into a station. Apparently my ship's computer is not good enough to realize that if I'm within X distance, slow the fuck down for me please.
Yepp, and your computer is too stupid to auto-land too
smile.png
Need a seperate docking computer (but on the upside it plays music while engaged!
smile.png
).

This game is not newbie friendly, you need to put i effort into understanding how to do things. There is a basic manual linked from the forums that contain a good amount of pointers tho:Sidewinder Owners' Manual

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So, how similar to Eve is this? It sounds alotlike first-person, prettier Eve minus all the pvp?

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I kinda really want to play this but I think my PC is too much of a potato to run it.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
See my posts earlier about the brutality of the original Elite experience. Apparently, there was a manual, but I sure as hell never saw it back in the 80s when I rocked this shit on the C-64.

If your experience is any indication, sounds like these guys truly have captured some of the true Elite experience! I can't wait to get in there now.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
So, how similar to Eve is this? It sounds alotlike first-person, prettier Eve minus all the pvp?
Not much like EVE at all. No "claiming" systems, no player owned stations/space/capital ships. You cant manufacture anything, you cant make a guild/corp/clan and expect to influence stuff.

You are one single pilot in a galaxy of 400+ billion starsystems, you can sorta help local factions or hinder then (see the Lugh thing) but you are not the main person in this story, at the most you are a small cog in the machine that is the main factions. But on the other hand you have the freedom to do whatever you want within reason (i.e. what is allowed by the game systems). You are doing your own thing in a shifting universe.

I started out going on a mission running spree to get a better ship, finaly reached the Cobra MkIII (the iconic ship of Elite, but really just a begining to the larger ships) and is now working on outfitting my Eagle fighter ship with A level systems to start hunting bounties.... just spent 40 min trying to catch wanted ships at the local navpoint but got the bloody system security ships kept stealing my kills so need to figure out a better place to practice my "skills". Important note: if you bounty hunt only the guy landing the killing shot gets the bounty.... I am currently in the "fuck the police" mood after losing 5 kills to them comming in like lazy bums and taking out the last 2% of the ship I have spent 5 min trying to shoot out of space.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Each station and outpost has 3 or more factions, and each system is under the control of one of those factions. If you undertake missions for a faction you can boost their influence in the station / system, and sometimes decrease the influence of the controlling faction. In theory, if you can get a lower influence up past 50% - or maybe just higher than the controlling faction - then the system can tip into civil war.

(simple trading also affects things although you have to do a *lot* of it)

It's not been seen yet; part of the problem is it takes a concerted effort over a period of time, and the other part is by announcing it a bunch of players have jumped in on the other side to make sure it doesn't happen. And there's always the chance that it isn't working.
So it's basically what Pirates of the burning Sea tried for 6 years and simply couldn't get right? :/

Is this game mostly PVE?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Is this game mostly PVE?
Yes, though there is an online mode unless you hang around one of the few player hub areas you're not going to see players much at all. Having access to 400 Billion star systems numbers means it will limit how much PvP will be done, let alone how their strange multiplayer systems work.