EQ F2P- Returning Players & Current Content

gogojira_sl

shitlord
That video was taken prior to recording with OBS (which fixes that problem), and EQ1 has had this weird bug since DX9 where the gamma gets adjusted in windowed mode. So I tend to not change the setting every time I log in, and the EQ client tends to change it to a setting that is way too high.

My newer videos look better than that one, with less framerate stutter. I'm not sure about gamma, but it looks far better on my setup with OBS than it did back when I used Dxtory.
Fucking hell, double nostalgia there with EQ and Sonic track.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I know it's been brought up a thousand times in the past and I think there was even an attempt to do it at one point, but we're pretty well stuck with the current models for now and forever aren't we Elidroth? Most of the time I just default to the old models because as archaic as they are, the animations are so much better than the janky ass Luclin models.

It's hard to imagine that ever being a priority when most people will probably just always accept the current look with a few new raid zones every year. I've got no idea the undertaking it'd require, but I can dream!

I'll probably get a bit more serious into EQ1 when the new expac drops, need to hit that cap again.
you just gave me an idea -- they should implement station cash marketplace stuff for people that prefer the old models.

i might actually drop some money on some new armor textures if it was for the classic models.

maybe tie it into the release of a new classic/progression server if SOE is still toying with that idea.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
you just gave me an idea -- they should implement station cash marketplace stuff for people that prefer the old models.

i might actually drop some money on some new armor textures if it was for the classic models.

maybe tie it into the release of a new classic/progression server if SOE is still toying with that idea.
I'd do it, too. The problem is that classic models can't ride mounts, correct? Remedy: make a classic mount too, lol.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I'd do it, too. The problem is that classic models can't ride mounts, correct? Remedy: make a classic mount too, lol.
I'm fairly certain the reason is because there's no animation skeleton files for classic models, and even back in Luclin, they didn't have the ability to make new animations for those models because there were no rigged models, which prompted the creation of the Luclin models in the first place. You'd have to use the sitting animation with classic models, and even then it'd look pretty dumb.

This is also why boats solidity is broken in DX9 until recently; there are no in-house tools to revert the boats' solidity flags. They had to make a new boat from scratch and add the flag with the new model format (eqg).

Alternatively, hide mounts like you do if you have classic models turned on in the first place, except for your Local PC instead of other mobs in the zone. Add in the velocity effect from mounts while they are active.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
- The illusion effect from the Guise of the Ancient Gods will last exactly 30 minutes. The recast time will remain at 2 hours.
They going full on boring wow style with the only things left that make EQ cool?

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I know it's been brought up a thousand times in the past and I think there was even an attempt to do it at one point, but we're pretty well stuck with the current models for now and forever aren't we Elidroth? Most of the time I just default to the old models because as archaic as they are, the animations are so much better than the janky ass Luclin models.

It's hard to imagine that ever being a priority when most people will probably just always accept the current look with a few new raid zones every year.
SOE revamped half the classic zones into less appealing versions, but left Luclin models untouched for over a decade. I'll never understand SOE logic.

I hope for the sake of players who actually play the game (I just collect data) that the new loot system makes looting in the modern client less ridiculous. One of several things that are worse in the modern client is looting NPCs-- I just assumed they made it less responsive as a side effect of some sort of anti-hack measure because that is the only explanation that makes sense, but looting lots of items from a pile of corpses is an obnoxiously slow processes that wasn't nearly as bad the early years. The problem was only magnified after the game devolved into swarming and insta-kill abilities to gain experience instead of the good old PoP days of killing the highest level stuff you could. (WoW-like tradeskill drops didn't help either)

Also, for the love of god, fix it so the client loading assets from disk (or whatever pauses the client) doesn't make your viewport turn to some random direction when mouselooking. That's about as dumb as run speed slowing down at low frame rates.

old human male forms can ride mounts, not sure bout the females... would wager they can as well.

AoN (skelly illusion) can ride the mounts, AoNs sell for like 15k now on most servers.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I like the updated old zones. Going into a truly classic zone is jarring.

The sales pitch for Luclin actually claimed that they'd revamp the whole world. That's only true on a technicality since new player models can go anywhere.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Ugh, I don't. They look so out of place and Freeport is a mess to navigate. They should have made it a 1:1 and given the option to go retro or new.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Freeport sucks. They're not all improvements. Commonlands, (n/s)Ro, Nektulos, Lavastorm etc. are decent. That whole side of the map was re-done, and is appealing to me, but Freeport isn't somewhere I want to go.

I'd like it if they updated zones to new geometry style more often. Faydwer could use some love. Only Steamfont has been touched.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I understand the graphical improvements but in the case of places like Freeport, changing the layout of the zone was completely pants-on-head retarded. The N Ro / Oasis / S Ro merger worked fine because they didn't really move anything.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like the updated old zones. Going into a truly classic zone is jarring.

The sales pitch for Luclin actually claimed that they'd revamp the whole world. That's only true on a technicality since new player models can go anywhere.
From what I recall, Luclin included a worldwide texture bump. Some point I remember the option for installation. But christ, that was 12+ years ago now? Hell if I remember exactly.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
God damn, the EQ nerd is strong with me!

Games: EverQuest: The Shadows | NVIDIA
The Shadows of Luclin also includes a second disk with high-resolution textures to replace low-res textures from the original game and the first two expansion packs. Once you load up the game, all of your EverQuest environments will immediately look more detailed. Of course, The Shadows of Luclin's support for hardware transform and lighting, 32-bit color, and DirectX? 8, makes it the perfect match for NVIDIA's GeForceT Titanium Series.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That update makes the world look much better, but I'm sure it stressed a lot of PCs of veteran players. That's an excellent video of the change too. Good find.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Textures were never my beef, though sometimes they do look a little washed out. I just can't stand most of the zone remakes (again, FP is fucking gross now).

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure if this is allowed or not (if not mods please edit as needed), but I am trying to fund my PS4 Destiny bundle purchase by selling my EQ accounts. If interested PM me for details. They are on the test server. 3 accounts. Level 100, lots of raid gear, max AA, etc.