EQ F2P- Returning Players & Current Content

Black Sun Wizard

Silver Knight of the Realm
So for any of you lovely chaps that are still playing and are on the Test server, is there a friendly recommended guild to bother for membership?

Nitsude_sl

shitlord
If you're interested in progression raiding (prophecy of ro and beyond) look to TFO.
We're about 2 weeks away from starting raids again. We now have full sets of gear for all classes on FV to copy over with -- so if no gear is holding you back from getting in on this progression, we got you covered. Get in touch with me (Nitsuu) in game if interested.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
If I have a 90 monk that I would be interested in copying over to the test server and then joining your progression guild how would that work? Could I de-level him to match the expansion you guys are in or would I have to start with a fresh new character?

Nitsude_sl

shitlord
If I have a 90 monk that I would be interested in copying over to the test server and then joining your progression guild how would that work? Could I de-level him to match the expansion you guys are in or would I have to start with a fresh new character?
You could delvl him to 70 if you'd like, or you can start fresh. We have people that do both.

If your lvl 90 monk has a lot of gear for lvl 70 then delvling from 90 is probably your best choice. If not, starting fresh with a copy from FV with gear would save you a lot more time. Leveling on Test does not take long at all.

Question when the new expansion comes out Call of the Forsaken, if I buy it will it include all the previous expansions that I am missing like they used to?

I am just wondering if they do it that way still, or if they switched to the way they do it for everquest 2 now and if your missing 1-3 expansions since you last played, you have to buy them all ala carte per expansion and not just the new?

The reason I ask, is have not played this shit in like years so much so that even if buy the expansion not sure that could find the magic again, as well as even get fun out of it again.
I know it would be fun still if you had a solid guild, but relearning how to play basic stuff let alone finding a solid guild, seems pretty daunting to me.

Cheers.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, you get all previous expansions with the latest expansion purchase, but... why buy anything? Play on Test and get Gold account access with all expansions for free.

Krozman

N00b
Yes, you get all previous expansions with the latest expansion purchase, but... why buy anything? Play on Test and get Gold account access with all expansions for free.
Because perhaps the only worthwhile thing to do in EQ is raid, and there are no raiding guilds on Test that measure up.

Black Sun Wizard

Because perhaps the only worthwhile thing to do in EQ is raid, and there are no raiding guilds on Test that measure up.
So does this mean that my time on Test is not as fruitful as if I played on another server? Sure I'd like to see the old content but if the mood should strike me to see some of the newer stuff does this mean I am limited?

I mean the Bazaar sucks hard on Test but there seem to be enough generous people to satisfy any serious thing I am lacking.

Krozman

N00b
Ok i'll try to be fair to the players on test.

There are progression servers on test that thrive doing older content. It's a self imposed ruleset that works for them and there is a TON to do, and it will never cost you a dime or 20 hours a week to maintain. If you want a lvl 100 player on the side doing the normal current group content you're free to do so. If you want to just group and 4 box and have fun, Test is 100% your cup of tea and you'll be happy there.

Another disadvantage, at least in my mind, is the complete lack of economy on Test. There is 0% motivation to run a bazaar mule b/c I can take my character on Antonius and literally transfer the 7 million plat I have onto an alt every week with no penalty. So if you're a grouper who wants to use the bazaar to get tradeskill items, you'll find it harder on test b/c nobody farms plat in the traditional sense on that server.

However, you cannot transfer off of test if you change your mind and want something more than that. If you want to RAID current content, Test is 100% the wrong server for you. There are no guilds that can currently even touch the current raid content. As a point of comparison, there are 30 guilds actively beating Tier 4 of RoF, 15 of which have already done so. So you have a lot of choices and time zones if you want to raid. I play on a European server b/c my playtimes are daytimes work out that way. My guild was number 12 this time around and we were only 1 week off of number 1. Raid content is not about difficulty anymore than it is about play time and play style. Figure out what style works for you, and the server will pick itself.

Black Sun Wizard

Ah so the question is do I want to "someday if I stick it out" raid or maybe play with people that like to really see old content.

That makes sense and I can see your point.

I find myself in the same situation as well. I'm temporarily in Germany right now till maybe November then heading back to the States. Test really seems like an EST server. Maybe I'll try your server since its European!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am American and worked all around the world, so have played on AB (Euro) server since it opened. It's always had a great community and atmosphere. Kroz is spot on in his assessment. Go have fun and poke around with the Euros. In your case, you can always transfer away when you move in November. I was also guilded in Darkwind for many many years Velious-GoD. I helped them reform into a raiding guild again last year (as Drezjn) and they have come a long way. The are some great people to help you out. Sadly, I burned myself out after grinding away 6000+AA. I lurk around the Mac server now for nostalgia.

Ok i'll try to be fair to the players on test.

However, you cannot transfer off of test if you change your mind and want something more than that.
This is not entirely true. When Hot released, they offered free transfers off of Test to any live server. They did it once, who's to say it won't happen again? Every day more people come to Test to milk the free proverbial tit. Hopefully, enough come and Sony lets us transfer off of Test to a live server before they make Test P2P for gold like live.

Saban_sl

shitlord
oh god next expansion about west karana? one of the last untouched original zones. greater faydarks time is running out.

Nitsude_sl

shitlord
I'll shit bricks if they touch gfay.
Agreed. Gfay shouldn't be touched. To be fair, I think they've learned their lesson about touching old zones. For example Feerrott 2 being a separate zone. Zone revamps were and still are unpopular -- at least permanent zone revamps.