EQ Never

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's FTP right?

No need to give them any money then or pre-order. Since I can definitely see them monetizing the shit out of this(if EQ housing/store is any indication) and will just use triple weekend stockpile of station cash to get things I want.

Though its funny to see a $100 founders pack when there is just so little information.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Source.
My thoughts on this

1) The dates we have listed are "on or before" dates. What that means is we will start Alpha on our before the end of February. Truth is we intend to start it a long time before that. But you can be guaranteed that we will start it by that date.

2) Why are we letting people into an Alpha? - This is a whole new development style for us. We're making a completely new kind of game and because of that we need a lot more people to help us test things out and make it great. An Alpha is NOT for everyone. Alpha's tend to be very buggy and change a lot, so expect a ton of downloads. That being said, you also can have an amazing influence over the games direction. I think that's pretty cool.

3) Why is the trailblazer pack cost so much? We put out 3 different pricepoints to suit everyone's desire. Ultimately the game is F2P but we actually have to have serious volume to make that work. In the interim while we're building, we have to build out the infrastructure sooner than we ordinarily would.

4) What is Landmark exactly? - It is a standalone, social building and exploring MMO. It will have combat (though not at launch) and a ton of other features.

hope this helps understand

Smed President, SOE
zzz no combat at launch. Also don't forget this is very likely separate from EQNext (the Norathian one)

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He forgot to add to the "why are we letting people into alpha": Because we can charge a lot more and all the sheep will buy it just to say they are there the earliest.

Will be hilarious to see all the "we paid for this etc" on alpha/CB boards if shit is super buggy.

misery_sl

shitlord
I bet they double up with an "EQNext founders pack" when they are further along in development. Beta test EQNext for only a few more bucks! Look at all these shiny items that you get and will soon have sitting in your bank taking up space because they are rendered useless at level 10.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
It's funny to me how the beta/launch/live vernacular has changed.

What we once understood to be beta tests are now alpha tests.
What we once knew as launch/release are now indefinite open betas.

I guess its part of the F2P shift rocking the genre. I suppose it makes sense, especially in the era of kickstarter type funding.
This is a business. Stop your whining about it.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Alpha + 4 closed beta friend keys sold the Trailblazer pack for me.. I know they haven't shown much, but I'm an ever-optimist, and the EQ IP is the one franchise I let myself be blindly hopeful for. I wouldn't expect many people to pre-purchase, yet, so I'll be sure to report back

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Those 4 sharable keys are 7-day time limited keys.
A Time-Limited Beta Key works like this:
When you redeem your code at EverQuestNext.com, you will get access to the Landmark Beta for seven days. Time-Limited Beta Keys are stackable ? so you can redeem multiple to gain additional game time.
We will be offering Time-Limited Beta Keys through a variety of mediums, including:

Random selections from our Beta Applicant list. To apply for beta, click here.
Random selections of our EverQuest and EverQuest II gold members. To learn more about gold membership, click here for EverQuest and here for EverQuest II.
Giveaways and promotions through various gaming websites and our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google Plus and Twitch.tv.

Also, just to confirm no work at all has started on EQN, except the world building tool that is Landmark, and they are strapped for cash on the EQN project after 2 trashed builds.
When we do the AI editor, when we do the scenario builder, and the NPC editor, and all that other stuff, we're going to be putting it in Landmark. So as we develop for EQN, we're putting stuff in Landmark
Ultimately the game is F2P but we actually have to have serious volume to make that work. In the interim while we're building, we have to build out the infrastructure sooner than we ordinarily would.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm not sure why people are so upset about this. It's basically the same exact thing as a kickstarter campaign.. except they get to keep 100% of the money. If people are willing to pay, it's stupid for SOE not to take their money. If Shilling had done something like this, his company might still be in business.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Fuck it. Trailblazer purchased. I have the money.

Being realistic, this and Titanfall are all ill be playing in 2014, so it's a reasonable expense to be able to snag my character names and early land plot selection.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
Fuck it. Trailblazer purchased. I have the money.

Being realistic, this and Titanfall are all ill be playing in 2014, so it's a reasonable expense to be able to snag my character names and early land plot selection.
This is why paying to have an advantage sucks. We get enough of this in real life, why does it have to translate into our games. No longer are we all equal in gaming.

misery_sl

shitlord
This is why paying to have an advantage sucks. We get enough of this in real life, why does it have to translate into our games. No longer are we all equal in gaming.
Because companies know what they have to do in order to get people to pull out their credit cards. Forget the people with little or no money, they aren't paying the bills.

Anyway, I think a lot of the stuff that comes with the packages aren't really that necessary to anyone who isn't expecting a lot from this game. If you're just going to sit around and ride out the storm until the game is fully released to see if you might enjoy it then I really don't think you'll be missing out on anything by not buying one of these pre-release packages. It might not seem fair, but I'm sure a lot of people actually are willing to throw down some money for these perks.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Will probably grab Trailblazer too, because EverQuest. Want to get cracking on the side of the mountain where the lost floor of TOFS magically ended up ASAP.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
$100 is pretty much nothing these days. Even at the most bullshit of jobs that's like a day's worth of wages. I spend $100 a month on fucking coffee.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
$100 is pretty much nothing these days. Even at the most bullshit of jobs that's like a day's worth of wages. I spend $100 a month on fucking coffee.
This is why, companies realized people will pay for titles, minimally used items and to get into betas. Why just invite people, when you can make money off people that will pay to get in. I don't mind CEs, because you are getting real world items or even some packages that give mounts that last forever. But shit like items that are only used to level 10/20, titles and paying for betas/alphas is just pure money grab, but smart business as there are plenty of sheep out there.

Who needs p2p, when a company can go f2p and do this :p So you get good press for going f2p in todays market and still get quite a lot of people to shell out money before release. Then add all the cash shop money after. Hell this is even smarter business by SOE. They are going to have players build their shit for their other MMO, while paying to build it and then paying again to use it in EQ:N.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
For me, it has nothing to do with being a 'sheep'. I've never purchased early access before for anything, but this package was extremely attractive to me.

Real world items? What, like a cloth map or miniatures? A soundtrack? You mean useless garbage that will sit in my closet? What am I gonna do... Decorate my desk with it? Sorry, my interior decorating style evolved beyond that about a decade ago.

Give me in game vanity + convenience items ALL day over that crap. Not to mention, if you plan to play EQN:L a lot (I do) and you plan to try to make money from the game (I do) $100 for early plot selection and alpha exploration may actually turn out to be an excellent investment.

Also because EverQuest.

Couloir_sl

shitlord
Sooo if I build junk in one of these pre-release stages of the game, am I gonna be able to store templates into a player studio account that will stick around whenever this shit finally goes gold? This is the sixty-four thousand dollar question, for me at least.

I could not care less about a spacesuit, my name in the credits, or any of this other crap. I want that fucking line tool tho. Package that up with the "flight" feature and I'd probably go for it.