EQ Never

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No my friend. This is a very bad compromise.
If you spawn another zone of Crushbone (for instance) because the dungeon is crowded then the game will cease to be a virtual fantasy world and is more of a multiverse where there are more than one parallel universe with Emperor Crush at the same time. Not only it destroys immersion (how can you have two Naggy's at the time time?!) but it also separates the community and makes seeking an item from a named not that difficult since if your named is camped you just try the same name on the other channel/zone.

The solution is.
Make dungeons huge with different entry points (why do they have to have one entrance?).
Make plenty of dungeons of various sizes for each level range.
Stop funneling players towards specific areas (Questing, Linear Paths...etc).
While I agree that instancing of any sort breaks immersion, if you don't have them in some way then you'll have to add a couple more things to your list.. queues and/or very long travel times.

Players will always gravitate to the zone that they perceive gives them the most benefit. It's a function of human nature. Devs try to get them to spread out but it rarely works. So the fact is that the dungeon that players perceive to be the best for their level is the one everyone will go to unless they are prevented by long travel times or queues.

Long travel times are a very hard sell. EvE has been able to make it work but it isn't a fantasy mmo and is also heavily PvP focused. Queues are hated by everyone.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Right, because going from Moscow to New York should really take 30 seconds.

Travel times need to be in game, go re-read the other 224 pages, and you will see story after story about people logging into EQ and being amazed by the size of the game, and the dangers of getting from A to B.

Eliminate that, and you have flight points ala WoW.

Seriously, it feels like half the posters in this thread just need to go reup that WoW sub and make a panda. You can use your dps meters, wack a mole to victory, do any instance at any time, collect pokemon or whatever the fuck it is, use flight points, etc etc.

It is painfully obvious that some of you do not want to play a sandbox styled MMO, and thats fine. So dont shit up a thread where some of us are hoping one comes out before we have fucking dementia and are shitting in diapers.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
If EQN brings back SWG style crafting they will gain a sub from me, and I am not even a fan of the EQ Franchise.

Crowding is not even a concern imo. It was only an issue in one game I ever played, and that was EQ, and that was because it was made on a budget of 3.50 and they expected it to peak at about 500 players. Again, Vanguard nailed it in that regard. But yeah, nobody played, but that was for other reasons.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Right, because going from Moscow to New York should really take 30 seconds.

Travel times need to be in game, go re-read the other 224 pages, and you will see story after story about people logging into EQ and being amazed by the size of the game, and the dangers of getting from A to B.

Eliminate that, and you have flight points ala WoW.

Seriously, it feels like half the posters in this thread just need to go reup that WoW sub and make a panda. You can use your dps meters, wack a mole to victory, do any instance at any time, collect pokemon or whatever the fuck it is, use flight points, etc etc.

It is painfully obvious that some of you do not want to play a sandbox styled MMO, and thats fine. So dont shit up a thread where some of us are hoping one comes out before we have fucking dementia and are shitting in diapers.
I'm not against long travel times at all. But the reality of today's mmo market is that most players really dislike long travel times. Even in the past they weren't popular, Vanguard got a lot of grief over it (among other things). Any game that does have long travel times is going to have to do a very good job in other areas to have the players accept it.

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
It's not that the actual length of time that matters during travel, it's whether or not there is risk or adventure involved. Is travel interesting? Will you find a rare spawn along the way? Swing by a camp to see who's there? Are there any environmental cues to help orient you towards your destination (bridges, rivers, coastline, forests, etc.)? If the world is designed properly travel becomes another thing in the game to occupy your time through necessity and not a boring task forcefully injected on the players.

Ports should exist, for specific classes and their groups. If quick travel is something exotic it becomes a marketable skill and players who posses it are sought after in groups. It's one more thing that instead of being commonplace as a "modern mmo feature" would be left in the hands of the players and their social networking skills. Do you have a Druid or wizard friend/guildmate? Are you willing to pay or trade in exchange for a lift? These choices should be up to the player to handle, not just pushed on us for the sake of convenience.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Grim1, thats fine. And its actually a good thing, with my hope being it will keep a certain segment of the MMO community away from EQN. And without that segment, there will be less bitching overall about X and Y, and HOPEFULLY, we can get a good game.

As far as ports, I think EQ handled that well. They were not available until the mid to late 20s (I think?) and then the group versions started late 20s? Maybe first ports were 19, first group ports 29?

I really agree with what someone said earlier, and that is EQ got a LOT of things right (whether it be through accident or not). Hell, maybe they didnt even get that much right, but now we all view it as right. Either way, this game needs to get presented so we can all be wildly disappointed (I doubt it is going to be a sandbox, at all, prolly loads of instances, hand holding for scrubs, etc, the chances (imo) that it will be created for a niche crowd are slim, not to mention the fucking in game store routine that I loathe).

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So who else is going to SOE Live? I'm registered (Surface) and barring something insane at work that week/end will be going (knock on wood). I only really care about the Friday keynote reveal and aftersession panel with Jeff Butler and plan to spend the rest of the time enjoying the 114 degree heat in or by the pool, fozen margarita in hand but I'm up for a Friday after-session meetup to dissect the reveal + drink.
Too cheap to make the trip now that I know it's not in Vegas - was planning to when it was in Vegas - now that it's apparently in San Fran, meh - maybe if someone paid for me (and likely the wife too, since she'd bitch about being left behind) to go.

Or I should check the website before believing friends that I know get stoned.... it's still in Vegas - why the hell did I believe him... think it's too close to scrounge the cash for now, he screwed up my plans.

Oh yes the overcrowded beta that no one except you seems to have experienced , including one of the Vanguard devs.
Everyone with a consciousness saw it. It had a fair number at the start, then faded as people rage quit. But then in the final stage of beta they just let in everyone who had been waiting all that time and it was full to the brim. Then it went in to open beta and that was full too.

Then at release, they sold around 450,000 copies iirc.

Get a clue.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Then at release, they sold around 450,000 copies iirc..
VG sold 200,000 copies at release (whatever 'release' means) - there's a couple of sources for this just google Vanguard 200,000 - presumbly it sold some amount after release and before FTP but I'd be shocked if that was 10% of the original. Anyway, 200,000 is a lot - the first week of Vanguard was horribly crowded and between the horribad lag and xp-loss bugs 50% of that 200k said fuckit and left by the end of the first month. Second month of Vanguard was still crowded with the remaining 75-100k players but then Sigil decided to nerf half the classes after which another 50k left so by April there were maybe 20-50k playing and with the bugged-as-shit reputation no-one was buying.

Anyway, as Nino posted on the fohboards way back, 200,000 was more than enough to sustain VG if they had retained that number - he actually stated that the original business plan would have been profitable with less than 200k (Nino never said the actual number just 'less than 200k' which could mean 190,000).

None of this is remotely relevant because while it seems clear EQN 1.0 and EQN 2.0 were probably some variety of EQ meets VG meets WOW, EQN 3.0 is not, so there's no really making comparisons until we see what's what.

Anyone who thinks 200,000 is not sufficient interest for a PTP MMO is a freaking idiot (which BTW includes LucasArts who screwed up SWG because it "only" had 250k or so subs).

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I liked long travel on Vallon Zek, but that was because you had to travel through enemy controlled territory to get to your camp. I revel in the days on my high elf enchanter locking down Arch Magus with my wizard buddy because we were there at 3 am, on a wednesday, when no darkies were on to hold every camp in Guk.

No that's all interesting, and the relevance is that the servers were indeed well populated / busy, if only for a while. And yet overcrowding wasn't an issue, even with no instancing.

I remember playing back then and it was good, I was playing in Veskal's Exchange and I could get a group anywhere I wanted around there, any time I wanted. Then someone invited me to a group at Khegor's End and I would travel there on my horse. It was a nice change of scenery. The group got about half the quests done and then fizzled out, so I went exploring and stumbled across the Ant Cave dungeon which again had enough people nearby to make yet another group.

And even so, there were still remote areas which felt quiet and mysterious with not many players around, but towns were busy and groups were doing dungeons regularly. Long story short, Vanguard did prove that no instancing can work really well. I wasn't even sure that I cared, because back then, I hadn't really seen the horrors of instancing first hand. But in hindsight, it was a breath of fresh air, and it still is today.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Long travel is one of those things that give the world a real sense of scale, and is definitely something I'd like to see. The trick is that you need to make it so that long travel isn't paired with frequent travel. For most play styles, a player ought to be able to settle in to a region for a month+ at a time; even longer, if they aren't playing as an adventurer or some sort. Move away from globe trotting being the standard, and then lengthy traveling can go back to being an experience, not a chore.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Long travel times in a game that has magic is just dumb, magic = portals. If I only have an hour to play at night I would prefer to not spend 20 minutes of it on a giant magical bird.

However I am not opposed to earning those portals via a faction grind or x amount of runs on the ground to and from. I am all for those mechanics while leveling to experience the content, but when I hit max level and all the content inbetween is trivial, don't make me spend 20 minutes running by low level shit.

Travel is never done well, except for maybe once... the EQ Bard. They still need ports for very long distances, but most of the time they could just make a journey themselves and not worry about it. At low levels it was a little boost which helped a bit, but still required that you explored every nook and cranny of the world. But in the mid levels once you had seen everything many times, your song was faster and you could just whiz past everything on your journey. And then at high levels, it became like warp speed which also makes perfect sense.

PoK ruined things because it felt less like a world and more like a series of servers connected by a hub, like some kind of Neverwinter Nights persistent world. They should have just given everyone Bard speed, somehow. Travelling at super speed never got tiresome. A long journey that would seem like a massive pain in the ass chore on any other class, was just a fun opportunity for a bard to crack out his drum and blast along at 100mph. And it didn't ever trivialize things either because in Kunark, they added mobs that could keep up, and snare you, and see invis, etc. So you still had to take care.