EQ Never

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Not how that works.

rrr_img_39563.jpg
Seems to me that it is, only I associated T1 with top.
In the picture there you are in the overworld T2 zone. There seems to be two parts going down to 2b. From the river and another place. You go down there. From T2b, you find the randomly generated dungeon temple at T2C. You are fighting this, and find the T3 barrier, the lava path down to T3. Earthquake. You die and respawn in the overworld, but the two entrances to T2B no longer exists there. You need to find that area again, with possibly new entrances and all progress towards T3 gone.

This will not be the case for permanent dungeons, but I am wondering about the randomly generated content they talked so much about.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
You know my preference, I'd prefer EQ/VG combat. Tank will have to CC to hold the mob.
It would be amusing to hear what was said internally at the GW2 team when Georgeson did the tweet about

"No no , fuck no , don't confuse our combat with GW2 , not the same "

Can't be fun to realize your newish system you tried in your game is now the number one fear to not be like in future fantasy mmo's.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You know my preference, I'd prefer EQ/VG combat. Tank will have to CC to hold the mob.
That's just the thing. Don't need a tank. The game isn't designed that way. Sounds like a lot of trading aggro. Kiting might be a tactic used to kill big shit. Hell might even be able to box shit in with that wall ability lol. Just need enough people to use it while the others DPS.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I guess my concern is that if tanks aren't "required" then that means everyone can take hits, and if that's the case, why wouldn't everyone roll dps. And at that point, your group is now just six people soloing the same mob.

Maybe I'm just not imaginative enough.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Maybe in America.
Somebody post a picture, for science.

I can't see that working out, did not end well in GW2 either, thanks to PvP. If you give a tank the tools to effectively cc a mob, you'd allow him to completely shut down another player in PvP aswell, no way that is going to make it into the game.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
That's just the thing. Don't need a tank. The game isn't designed that way. Sounds like a lot of trading aggro. Kiting might be a tactic used to kill big shit. Hell might even be able to box shit in with that wall ability lol. Just need enough people to use it while the others DPS.
If you don't have someone with heavy armor who can't take the big hits you won't be able to take on 1/2 the mobs.
Ditto if you don't have someone able to heal, CC.
DPS will only get you so far.

But yes you're going to get a lot more Ping-Pong.

I just think it was an unnecessary change - trinity combat worked very well. They could have upped the AI and still kept the trinity. Just needed OT/DT for rescues. That's why I say EQ/VG not EQ.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I can't see that working out, did not end well in GW2 either, thanks to PvP. If you give a tank the tools to effectively cc a mob, you'd allow him to completely shut down another player in PvP aswell, no way that is going to make it into the game.
Well tank classes are certainly going to be able to slot CC class abilities. So I'd go with already in the game. However, maybe the best CC abilities are tied to CC weapons so those would not be slotable.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
It will be interesting come EQN launch time what direction they go in regards to things they specifically polled about.
https://www.everquestnext.com/round-...es-all-classes
People wondered why SOE announced EQN so early. This is why: Player input.

No, designing EQN won't purely be a popularity contest and no they won't do everything the players demand, but it's nice to see the process and feel like you were heard. Twitter, Reddit, FB, the forums, etc. What if the #BBFO campaign is successful?

They're already doing this with Planetside2. Their biggest takeaway with PS2 was probably to start engaging players this way earlier rather than later.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's pretty obvious they are going to need a long beta on this one. Lots of shit to work out.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Somebody post a picture, for science.

This is why PvE and PvP should be separate servers and balanced appropriately. Give me PvE servers with EQ/VG combat and let whatever the PvPers want happen on their end. Seeing PvE skills, abilities and entire game mechanics be removed in favor of balancing PvP is crazy. Unless it turns out to be a primarily PvP game, but if it isn't, then either let PvPers have their own servers with special rulesets, or let the PvP grow completely unbalanced in favor of a better PvE experience.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It's pretty obvious they are going to need a long beta on this one. Lots of shit to work out.
We will know that SoE is correctly working on this game if the beta lasts at least 6 months. Every major MMO lately seems to do a 'shotgun beta' of a few months/weeks (discluding the uber exclusive closed betas) and it comes back to bite them in the ass every time. If SoE wants their cash cow to be ready for the big fair, they might wanna take their sweet time getting it purdy lookin'.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So FFVII?

From the EQHammer interview

You can make your weapons and abilities stronger by finding different things. You can mix and match different things on your weapons to give them elemental powers, and things like that.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I think you took that out of context. I think they were just looking for a wide sample of art and seeing if they could reproduce it in game - to see how robust the system really was.
Yeah, from what I've now learned, seems like it.

If you want to be completely honest, the new Ogres somewhat resemble the Luclin model Ogre.
Hah, all the more reason it's bad! I never used those, so I don't know what it looks like. I know I've seen them, and immediately turned them back off. The Luclin models have never seemed to be popular.

What fucking Ogres are you guys looking at that are 'dead sexy'? Surely not these, right?

I'd agree that they're not as grotesque as the original EQ models, but it's not like they're Fabio.
Those aren't sexy, but ogres were fat. Those are ripped. And green.

Some of us too were talking more about the painting thing that we got a few weeks ago. While the "ogre" in it looked like he could be fat, it still was green and looked more like a Warcraft painting, rather than an EQ ogre.

People wondered why SOE announced EQN so early. This is why: Player input.
Plus the fact that they're crowdsourcing a lot of the creation of Norrath, and wanted build-up time before releasing landmark. Now that's some player input, heh.