EQ TLP 2024 Teek (Random loot) & Tormax (Traditional) #neckbeardnostalgia

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Most of the people who don't make it to live tank in RA two weeks prior to the next xpac anyway. Keeping a server perpetually locked to a particular era is just going to have it be mostly a ghost town. PoP sort of works cause it's fueled on nostalgia.

If their tech is set up that they could justify having a bunch of thin, low pop, low resource servers then sure. More options prob won't hurt anything. I'd imagine though they are rolling out dedicated stacks of iron for this shit and it's not efficient.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah the problem is not that people quit because they dont like whats coming next. They quit because they got busy, got bored, their friends did and quit, they fell behind or don't have as much time, or they just lack the attention span to stay with it. Stuff like that. The solution isn't to make another agnarr - the biggest autists won't populate it over agnarr or p99 anyway.

You could do things like seasonal/event servers that arent planned to go past x point. That may work. But just stopping a server dead in its tracks won't be likely to work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think an OoW/DoN lock is the only kind of era-locked server that would work besides Agnarr and P99. Would it die off after a bit? Yeah, but it would appeal a lot to a subsection of people who played until 2004 or 2005.

Could also allow Xfers from Agnarr to Mata Muram once the new server reached GoD (or shortly before it). Would be interesting to see a well-geared Agnarr guild pull up on the new one to compete.

Aside from Velious, PoP, OoW/DoN, and maybe Classic itself I don't see any other eras that would work for a progression freeze. Nothing beyond OoW makes any sense, so that's as late as you could go with the concept.

Though I do think a TSS-through-SoF short-term event server would work. Maybe even start it in PoR and run 3 months.

But yeah, level 70 and epic 2.0s are a nice round stopping point for the game. Back then a lot of us thought it might actually be the endgame because EQ2 was about to drop.

• 1Potato
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

I just dont see why anyone would pay a krono a month to be stuck in the same era indefinitely. I'd rather just go play P99 and not pay anything at that point.

Rajaah Rajaah - you're all about "neat" ideas. My idea is the same its always been.
  1. Random Loot (Mischief)
  2. Double Loot, with one drop from the actual loot table.
  3. Boosted EXP (Selo's)
  4. Relaxed True Box
  5. Class/Race/Deity Agnostic Gear
I think number 5 would redefine the game all over again. Everyone seems to be hyperbolic about the one off situations, where every class would turn into a God. But a proper player would still have to seek out definitive characteristics of their class. The double loot would go a long ways towards addressing the issue of everyone wanting the ultimate or penultimate pieces of the expansion.

Then, on the other side of that coin - different gear goes towards addressing some classes problems. For example, being able to equip Rogue weapons would allow a Warrior to use some high proc, high aggro weapons much, much sooner than level 37 (Yaks). Warriors that arent tanking can also go for the Hybrid (SK/Pal/Ran) weapons and shore up their low DPS. Caster's in general would be a lot less squishy and likely a lot more fun to play.

In general, TLP's give people the chance to experience it all again and this time around, they can go after that specific item they never got. They can no life it and get all the gear they could ever possibly want and be a power house. Well guess what? Most TLP player's have already done that. So give us all another power fantasy and dont hyperventilate because an Enchanter has 100 more AC or something. "Oh no. The player's are going to kill Quarm a few minutes faster! The horror!"

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just dont see why anyone would pay a krono a month to be stuck in the same era indefinitely. I'd rather just go play P99 and not pay anything at that point.

Rajaah Rajaah - you're all about "neat" ideas. My idea is the same its always been.
  1. Random Loot (Mischief)
  2. Double Loot, with one drop from the actual loot table.
  3. Boosted EXP (Selo's)
  4. Relaxed True Box
  5. Class/Race/Deity Agnostic Gear
I think number 5 would redefine the game all over again. Everyone seems to be hyperbolic about the one off situations, where every class would turn into a God. But a proper player would still have to seek out definitive characteristics of their class. The double loot would go a long ways towards addressing the issue of everyone wanting the ultimate or penultimate pieces of the expansion.

Then, on the other side of that coin - different gear goes towards addressing some classes problems. For example, being able to equip Rogue weapons would allow a Warrior to use some high proc, high aggro weapons much, much sooner than level 37 (Yaks). Warriors that arent tanking can also go for the Hybrid (SK/Pal/Ran) weapons and shore up their low DPS. Caster's in general would be a lot less squishy and likely a lot more fun to play.

In general, TLP's give people the chance to experience it all again and this time around, they can go after that specific item they never got. They can no life it and get all the gear they could ever possibly want and be a power house. Well guess what? Most TLP player's have already done that. So give us all another power fantasy and dont hyperventilate because an Enchanter has 100 more AC or something. "Oh no. The player's are going to kill Quarm a few minutes faster! The horror!"

So basically make everything tradeable and all/all?

It's a good idea. I do think it'd create some imbalance issues, and that casters would get very OP (though perhaps this would level out and balance the Meleequest era).

Meta would probably be Shaman with Donal's BP. Drain all your HP to fuel spells pretty much indefinitely, hit the BP every time HP gets close to 20%.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
So what people can already do with a box?

Cross class clicky abilities would def be the coolest benefit from it though. Might make some of the odd spell clicky armor pieces more useful when they're not on a class that doesn't need it. Combat calcs should take care of a lot of the egregious 'caster OP' problems, but I can already see the AC enchanters drooling at hoovering up more AC loot gear.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So what people can already do with a box?

Cross class clicky abilities would def be the coolest benefit from it though. Might make some of the odd spell clicky armor pieces more useful when they're not on a class that doesn't need it. Combat calcs should take care of a lot of the egregious 'caster OP' problems, but I can already see the AC enchanters drooling at hoovering up more AC loot gear.
Everyone having 60% clicky haste and a 70% clicky slow would totally be fine and good.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Seems like a recipe for a toxic setup. The number of desirable items decrease drastically, causing the other items to have a lot more competition. I can't imagine trying to gear up a guild this way.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
My proposal - a TLP server where every new character starts with jboots. I don’t believe this idea has been done before.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My favorite overdoing, stupid, implausible server idea. I'd love to see an mmo that embraced the guide type system of player run events based on server politics with some kind of (probably doomed) system from a mega guild taking control and turning the benefits into DKP expenditures.

"Confirmed 2024 TLP Server Choice #2: Divinity

Building on the Community Resource Council system, the Divinity server will allow players who go through a qualification process to take the role of EQ deities, including:
  • Bertoxxulous: The Plaguebringer
  • Brell Serilis: The Duke of Below, Duke of Underfoot
  • Bristlebane: The King of Thieves
  • Cazic-Thule: The Faceless, Lord of Fear
  • Erolissi Marr: The Queen of Love
  • Innoruuk: The Prince of Hate
  • Karana: The Rainkeeper
  • Mithaniel Marr: The Lightbearer
  • Prexus: The Oceanlord
  • Quellious: The Tranquil
  • Rallos Zek: The Warlord
  • Rodcet Nife: The Prime Healer
  • Solusek Ro: The Burning Prince, Lord of Flame
  • The Tribunal: The Six Hammers
  • Tunare: The Mother of All
  • Veeshan: The Wurm Queen
These players, acting as deities, will have access to limited abilities ingame to support dynamic events, building on the long-standing Guide system. This may include events like:
  • Spawning deity-specific mobs with improved loot throughout the open-world
  • Spawning a deity-specific champion to assist players in a fight
  • Providing a temporary blessing to a group of players
  • Scheduling and organizing raid events in the open-world
  • Organizing fights with other deities
  • These events may not happen in instances
The extent of a deity's power is based on the number of active players who select them. Deities will accrue ""divinity power"", similar to mana, that they can consume to appear to players and provide challenges to them. This will be capped to 20% of the total divinity power accrued by all deities
Deities will be ranked based on total divinity power consumed over the last week
A deity's rank will confer a blessing in the form of a static buff to all players who select them
The blessing increases base stats, damage, healing and item drop bonus that triggers on the death of each mob
This blessing will scale downward based on the number of selectors such that a top-ranked deity with a large number of selectors may will provide a blessing that is worse than a lower-ranked but less popular deity
Each week, the bottom 5 ranked deities will be required to schedule and trigger an event where they must battle for their life in an open-world fight where players may either chose to defend or attack the deity
If the deity dies, the person controlling them will be removed
If a deity lives, their followers will receive an additional persistent buff for one week
The deity's level and abilities scale with the current level cap of the server
If this event does not happen a deity will be spawned and be game-controlled
A week after removal an automated server event will take place in a set location for each deity where approved players can rally forces to fight for divinity in a king-of-the-hill style fight
Non-deity Players will maintain a ""Disciple Velocity"" (building on the Loyalty Velocity system) that will increase based on activity in deity events.
The Disciple Velocity rewards a daily stipend of Disciple Points that can be spent petitioning deities for divine intervention events
Players in a group or raid can pool their Disciple Points together
Petitioning their own deity is done at half cost, petitioning all deities is done at double cost
Deities that answer the petition expend reduced Divinity Power to create an event, but the full cost is used for improving a deity's rank. The reduction is based on the amount of Disciple Points the players provided.
For the purposes of a mob spawning divine intervention event, deities can select loot within a zone's normal loot table equivalent to the difficulty of the mobs, such that raid mobs will drop raid loot, named will drop named loot, etc.
Selecting a different zone's loot table increases the divinity power consumption for the event, while providing no improvement to a deity's rank
Zones and players will accrue a stacking divinity exhaustion buff that reduces the drop-rate of items in divine intervention events
Class/race restrictions on deity choices are being relaxed. Not all combinations are possible (Ex: dwarven paladins may not chose Innoruuk), but many more combinations are possible including Vah Shir selections
At every expansion release each account will be gifted one heirloom deity change scroll
The maximum number of deity change scrolls an account may accrue is one
Players may purchase additional deity change scrolls from the Marketplace
This experimental TLP is being used to pioneer a revised Guide system for Live servers and future TLPs"

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Necromancer in a fungi tunic would be a fun time. Just Lich all the time.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Just give me a server where you only have 1 character and that character can play all classes at the same time as long as they level them up. You choose which class your experience is currently going to in the Persona tab.

I want to be a Shadow Knight/Shaman/Enchanter/Bard with the key factor being you only have 10 spell/song gems, so you have to be creative in which spells/songs you have memorized at any given time. Allow the character to do a /melody as well as cast spells at the same time, so the melody and casting do not interfere with each other. If you want to do a 4 song melody you can do it, but you are giving up 4 gem slots to do it.

If they were to create that server, I would be there heart and soul until the game was shut down.

yerm

Just give me a server where you only have 1 character and that character can play all classes at the same time as long as they level them up. You choose which class your experience is currently going to in the Persona tab.

I want to be a Shadow Knight/Shaman/Enchanter/Bard with the key factor being you only have 10 spell/song gems, so you have to be creative in which spells/songs you have memorized at any given time. Allow the character to do a /melody as well as cast spells at the same time, so the melody and casting do not interfere with each other. If you want to do a 4 song melody you can do it, but you are giving up 4 gem slots to do it.

If they were to create that server, I would be there heart and soul until the game was shut down.

This sounds like the all/all idea but for class abilities and with a dozen times the grind.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Cool idea, sounds like Neverwinter Nights. Every level you choose which class you want to put the level into, and then you get another level of that class's abilities.

I always say SK/Shaman/Bard is the holy trio. In this setup I'd just combine the three and max them out. Would probably also play on this hypothetical server forever.

Yeah it'd be a huge grind, but nobody would be making you max out every class. I'd say pick 2 or 3 and learn everything for those.

Sounds like chainbreaker.

What's that?

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
My proposal - a TLP server where every new character starts with jboots. I don’t believe this idea has been done before.

Bottle of Speed is ~100 Daybreak Cash.

Napoleon Dynamite Dancing GIF

Do you even TLP?

• 1Seriously?

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
Most of the people who don't make it to live tank in RA two weeks prior to the next xpac anyway. Keeping a server perpetually locked to a particular era is just going to have it be mostly a ghost town. PoP sort of works cause it's fueled on nostalgia.

If their tech is set up that they could justify having a bunch of thin, low pop, low resource servers then sure. More options prob won't hurt anything. I'd imagine though they are rolling out dedicated stacks of iron for this shit and it's not efficient.

Yea. I think the practical issue is they clearly don't have money for a lot more servers. If they could have 10 more servers, doing a series of era locks for people to park at would make sense. "Ghost town" is quite subjective. Agnarr still has 4 active raid guilds and a few hundred active players. It's population has grown for several years in a row. I don't think any TLP has gone up in population after 5 years. Granted, we're not talking about big numbers, but growth is growth.

I also don't think ghost town matters too much, as the people dedicated to that era are going to create a very fun family atmosphere on the server, goes a long way to mitigate the "ghost town" experience. I can attest to this based on Agnarr.

I can also say that at least half of Agnarr (probably more) actually would prefer a don/oow server. I think that server would be quite popular! I also think Agnarr was one of the more popular TLP servers through its progression run.

Anyhow, I know it's very unlikely but I like to dream.

• 1Like