EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd make it 50% base run speed and change the entire game into a grueling slog of "I'm fucked" whenever you get an add solo.

Training would be almost impossible.
An 50% incombat runspeed would be interesting. And make for a terrible DOA server.

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This is an interesting post...

Confirmed
  • Relaxed truebox
  • Mischief/FV loot
  • Relaxed recommended/required level restrictions
  • Each expansion released in two parts, first half is the content and second half is the level cap increase + AAs, providing a harder experience for the first half of the expansion and a catchup / relaxation period at the second half. Sort of a mini-Vaniki.
  • Account-wide rewards for defeating content in first half of expansion release.

I think I would play this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Although, as a caster, it would be next to impossible to land things. This would be meleequest, big time.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Although, as a caster, it would be next to impossible to land things. This would be meleequest, big time.

I imagine this entire server would follow Vaniki rules on resists and such.

If it starts at Classic, good luck doing Trakanon in the first half of Kunark.
Feels like this server is for Zaide to finally pull off that 50 cap Trakanon kill plan.

Guessing there would be a major dead period between Kunark and PoP, though, unless spells were disabled until the second half, as well as AAs.
But if that was the case, Beastlord would be pretty fucking useless until 2nd half Luclin.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Confirmed
  • Relaxed truebox
  • Mischief/FV loot
  • Each expansion released in two parts, first half is the content and second half is the level cap increase + AAs, providing a harder experience for the first half of the expansion and a catchup / relaxation period at the second half. Sort of a mini-Vaniki.
  • Account-wide rewards for defeating content in first half of expansion release.

As the person who pulled that idea out of my ass and called it confirmed in An Experimental Year in TLPs | Page 3 | EverQuest Forums , I also support massive changes to class balance in a given TLP as long as the rules are announced ahead of time.

If you roll wizard on a melee quest server you kinda deserve to get fucked like all the rogues do in classic. If you've got a favorite class and only want to play that class, maybe it's time to try something new again or just wait for the next expansion. For the above server I'd be OK with no change in resist or a change in resists, idc. Something to mix things up and create a new meta doesn't have to be better than the current pattern to be more popular, it just needs to not be terrible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider

Confirmed
  • Relaxed truebox
  • Mischief/FV loot

Only daybreak would take parts of a server that peaked at 25% of a normal TLPs population and think forcing it on a normal server would be a good idea.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Only daybreak would take parts of a server that peaked at 25% of a normal TLPs population and think forcing it on a normal server would be a good idea.
Would be interesting to see the #s on $ spent per account on Vaniki. Big question is how to fleece EQ players by providing them an enjoyable EQ experience that is hard enough for them to want to dump a bunch of $$$ into. TLP EQ is so braindead easy that all the krono purchases are just to skip easy content or for stolen valor instead of overcoming adversity. Having a phased hardmode / catchup period is one option, using Vaniki-style level-caps is just one variation of that.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Saw a really crazy idea on that thread: Randomized expansion releases, so you finish Classic and then Broken Mirror gets dropped outta nowhere. That would also be a DOA server, but it could be an interesting idea if it were randomized by level tier and the releases were monthly. Maybe it's not entirely random, and is chosen behind the scenes for what makes sense, but to us it appears random.

First 3 unlocks: Kunark/Velious/Luclin in a random order. Maybe you get Luclin first and can have a bunch of AAs going into the other two.

Second set: PoP/LoY/LDoN/GoD in a random order. Would be interesting to see where LoY landed and how much groans it induced. Or it could just be stuck with whichever other one unlocks first.

Third set: OoW/DoN/DoD/PoR in a random order. The level 70 expansions might be a lot more interesting if OoW isn't the first one. People would certainly get more use out of DoN if it dropped first.

Fourth set: TSS and TBS in a random order. TBS would need to be first for this to have any real point. Solteris would be much harder than usual and all of those Katta missions would get a lot more use (which is good because they're generally good content)

After that it goes to usually one expansion per level raise with a few sets of two so it wouldn't have much point as a server anymore, but by this point the population would have dropped off anyway and it'd be time for the next TLPs.

Or alternatively: Backwards orders. GoD before PoP! OoW last in the 70 set! TBS before TSS! Underfoot before SoD! Which would lock out a lot of the AAs due to prerequisites but whatever, experimenting.

• 1Picard

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Saw a really crazy idea on that thread: Randomized expansion releases, so you finish Classic and then Broken Mirror gets dropped outta nowhere. That would also be a DOA server, but it could be an interesting idea if it were randomized by level tier and the releases were monthly. Maybe it's not entirely random, and is chosen behind the scenes for what makes sense, but to us it appears random.

First 3 unlocks: Kunark/Velious/Luclin in a random order. Maybe you get Luclin first and can have a bunch of AAs going into the other two.
Just looking at the first three, if you get Luclin first doesn't that make the other two faceroll easy and mostly irrelevant (epics not withstanding)?

I think I'd be more interested in grouping more expansions together.

• 1Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Anything that isn't in the norm that could 'impact' instead of 'transfer to' live servers sounds like they're changing something fundamental that isn't available in general to exist on this one server, and when they merge it into live, that one thing will still exist by design.

I am in the "it's gotta be something related to character creation" boat, because literally nothing else in the TLPs would affect live besides gimmick servers which grant rewards on live.

I doubt they would do this but. The Classic+ WoW idea of adding new/revamped zones for TLPs, as well as some class balancing targeted at TLPs could also "impact live"

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just looking at the first three, if you get Luclin first doesn't that make the other two faceroll easy and mostly irrelevant (epics not withstanding)?

I think I'd be more interested in grouping more expansions together.

Yeah, I was just being experimental. Grouping expansions together would make for a much more fun/interesting server. Anyone racing wouldn't get any sleep for a few days at the level 60, 65, and 70 unlocks and that sounds like a good time to me. It would also move things along more quickly which means player retention going into later expansions. TSS/TBS era would have more people playing it than on any previous TLP, probably, which means more people actually getting to experience the very good Secrets of Faydwer and Seeds of Destruction.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I am in the "it's gotta be something related to character creation" boat, because literally nothing else in the TLPs would affect live besides gimmick servers which grant rewards on live.
I hope so! I want to try something new. Make something redonkulus like an ogre necromancer or or or half elf wizard or something.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I doubt they would do this but. The Classic+ WoW idea of adding new/revamped zones for TLPs, as well as some class balancing targeted at TLPs could also "impact live"

I would like to see them add one new zone to every era, dropping alongside a new TLP reaching those eras (and thus being added to live servers too). Kinda like what they did adding Warrens to classic era way after the game launched.

Every expansion has a zone that would make sense to add / an unfinished idea. I did a list a while back of the one zone that could be added to each era, but I don't know where it is now. From memory:

Classic - A third level of Guk with a 52-capped Severilous equivalent dragon, giving classic an extra raid

Luclin - A zone off of Nexus beyond the rubble-covered zoneline

PoP - I had Plane of War listed, but it eventually got added, so it'd need to be something else

GoD - A new temple zone beyond the "Blocked Zoneline", wherever that was (Kod'Taz?)

Rain of Fear - The one defunct portal in the portal room now goes somewhere, could really be anything

Without having the list I did, I can't really expound on this much. Suffice to say almost every expansion has a blocked zoneline or defunct portal that looks like a zone was scrapped, so perhaps adding those zones back in could work if done over time. IDK. Nothing hugely game-changing, just extra zones to exp in, set to whatever level range or tier is in particular need of an extra zone for that era. Could use whatever unfinished maps are lying around and finish them up.

• 1Like

Opimo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah Vicious and his guys are planning a guild, one of their crew passed recently so they are doing a guild in his honor. He has already said he won't be leading it because he doesn't have time. Elaida and many of his other regulars are onboard, but how long it lasts is anyone's guess.

RIP Yace Ogre
Was it that cleric that was literally playing from his nursing home bed back during the Bloodthirst days?

I can't remember his name, but he used to fall asleep during CH rotations and raid while getting sponged down by nurses.

• 1WTF

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Healup is the only name I can come up with but I think it's wrong. The dude used to complain that he paid for the good internet but the nurses were mooching it.

• 1WTF

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was it that cleric that was literally playing from his nursing home bed back during the Bloodthirst days?

I can't remember his name, but he used to fall asleep during CH rotations and raid while getting sponged down by nurses.
No that wasn’t Yace

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
They are bringing old freeport back and porting it to live.

Oh, and a pvp server.
Thanks for reminding me of the absolute abomination that is new Freeport. I swear I hope the people who designed and approved that atrocity grow tastebuds in their anus.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Greyman

Trakanon Raider

No it was Yace, who played a Paladin, also Ultara it appears.

Healup was the Cleric you refer to, unsure of his current status.