EQMac Now Free to Play

SOE doesn't exactly want more people on AK. They tried to shut the server down once, they'd probably be happy if it died due to underpopulation.

It'll probably get some fresh faces soon though, if the rumors about LoY being added are true. Bank slots, armor dye, maps, etc.
Well yeah SOE would stick the knife in and twist with a big grin if they could. But I was thinking more about one of the players taking care of fellow PC players, and maybe even Hobart who although an SOE employee, seems to play it because he enjoys it and technically it's like his pet project. He might decide to what he can to keep the PC hack viable.

Maybe? :S

korzax_sl

shitlord
I can do that. I was playing today and it's so cool. I did some Sol A, the xp was a huge let down but I got a bunch of nice bits of gear for my characters. A couple of obsidian thingy earings with +3, some kobald shoes, sleeves with some wis and mana preservation, and I think a little robe or something. Not bad for one run!
Yeah, I have zero for gear and rely on the MGB in pok to make up for the lack of that gear. Since I only 2 box I don't go into dungeons. I did do the Stein of moggok quest, so I do have some gear. Currently killing HG's for xp.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
He might decide to what he can to keep the PC hack viable.
Thispost doesn't give me much hope in that.

Of course I respond with a post that included the line:

"With all due respect, playing on progression servers is nothing like classic. If it was, project 1999 and the PC client hack wouldn't be so popular."

And it was almost immediately deleted. Fuck SOE. Nobody would EMU your crap if you gave us what we wanted instead of shitting up your games with WoW-inspired garbage.

Yeah, I have zero for gear and rely on the MGB in pok to make up for the lack of that gear. Since I only 2 box I don't go into dungeons. I did do the Stein of moggok quest, so I do have some gear. Currently killing HG's for xp.
That quest ruined my week! What did you do about the ogres at the end, did you have to grind faction or were you already friendly? My guys are all elves so I'm KOS and I gave up. Wasted 3 days
frown.png

Thispost doesn't give me much hope in that.

Of course I respond with a post that included the line:

"With all due respect, playing on progression servers is nothing like classic. If it was, project 1999 and the PC client hack wouldn't be so popular."

And it was almost immediately deleted. Fuck SOE. Nobody would EMU your crap if you gave us what we wanted instead of shitting up your games with WoW-inspired garbage.
That's all just so sad. And I thought Hobart was a gamer and not under SOE's thumb.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
He fucking works for SOE, man. He's not some hobby developer that just happens to have access to AK source, lol. What do you expect him to say?

I thought hobby development was exactly why he works on EQ Mac. He is employed by SOE but his official work is working with Vanguard and whatever else. I thought EQ Mac was some emu server that SOE tried to shut down but there was huge public outcry so SOE decided to do the one decent thing they have ever done in their entire history, and adopt the game and allow it to live. So Hobart working on it I assumed was just him tinkering with things to keep them running smoothly and keep the players happy.

If what he does kills off the PC players then to me that is seriously shady. If there was an official EQ Classic server I could play on, I would have been playing it for years and I would be happy to pay a subscription. But there is nothing like that because SOE are retard scumbags.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I thought EQ Mac was some emu server that SOE tried to shut down but there was huge public outcry so SOE decided to do the one decent thing they have ever done in their entire history, and adopt the game and allow it to live. So Hobart working on it I assumed was just him tinkering with things to keep them running smoothly and keep the players happy.
Well, you're completely off base. Al`kabor is an official Sony server and always has been.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Sony is just administrated by cowards. And I mean that literally. They are afraid of a hobby project a few dudes made in their apartments (project 1999) to the point where even mentioning the name of the project is instant post deletion. No mere blanking out the two words; they have to full on delete the entire post that only mentioned it once. If they had any confidence in their own work, they wouldn't be afraid of some amateur open source emulation project. If Sony's games were any good, P99 wouldn't need to exist. What are Sony's progression server populations right now? P99 gets upwards of 900 people online at prime time. I've seen over 1k before. On a server that bans boxing. Can you compete with that Sony? You only have multimillion dollar budgets and paid 'professionals' on your pay roll yet this little hobby emu box is shaming you.

You wanna know why Apple is richer than King Midas? It's because they put product quality first and above profit. Jobs didn't care about money. He cared about making good products. That's the real secret to Apple's success. That's why Blizzard was loved before WoW turned them into just another greedy asshole gaming company. Profit before quality is why Sony is a joke on this board and to any veteran gamer.

Look at SOE does to their games today. They are killing themselves with the marketplace and they don't even know it. EQ2 is a joke. EQ1 has more subs than EQ2. Vanguard is an even bigger joke. These games are full of pay for power; pay to look cool instead of earning it; challenge makes players quit so make the game stupid easy and unsatisfying; finding groups is hard so turn the game into a single player experience; etc. Real gamers don't play these games. The customers Sony caters to are the idiots who buy stupid crap for their virtual houses, and Sony shits on the people who want to play a challenging and rewarding game and kill big dragons with other gamers.

It's ridiculous that I have more confidence that I'll be able to access my characters on a goddamn emu than I do official Sony servers.

P99 gets upwards of 900 people online at prime time. I've seen over 1k before. On a server that bans boxing. Can you compete with that Sony?
Ehh even Vanguard can't achieve that. SoE are just hopeless pricks, always have been.

You wanna know why Apple is richer than King Midas? It's because they put product quality first and above profit. Jobs didn't care about money. He cared about making good products. That's the real secret to Apple's success.
So true, but not only do SOE not understand that, they are theexactopposite of that. They have a good thing going with something like EQ, and rather than planning a great future for the game, all they can do is run it in to the ground and milk the players as fast as possible while they still hang around. And 10 years later they are still doing the exact same thing with Vanguard.

Off the Left_sl

shitlord
^ nice. I'm leveling a cleric the super fucking hard way. If anyone wants to hook me up with some of that action I'll be your healbot for life.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Playing an ogre warrior and ogre shammy box now. Sorow and Kraki.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
2. Take the contents of the fresh EQ Titanium installation folder and put them into an empty C:\EQMac folder (note: it MUST be "C:\EQMac" as the modified DLLs expect this directory)
So is there no work around for this? I'd like to give this a shot, but my C drive is a small OS partition with no room for EQ.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
The hack is hardcoded to use that directory, so the only way around that would be to make a symbolic link to another drive.

try

mklink /D C:\EQMac X:\path\to\EQ

Alexzander

I appreciate the help, but I don't have any idea what that means. Is that a change to the .dll? Where should I add the line of code?

Denjoy

Molten Core Raider
You open a command prompt and run it from there. Let's say you have free space on your D drive, so you install the game to D:\Games\EQMac.

Open a command prompt (You can do Windows Key + R then type in "cmd") if you don't know how. Then enter:
mklink /J C:\EQMac D:\Games\EQMac
(I think you may need to be an Administrator to do this)

Like Torrid said above, the game expects to be installed at C:\EQMac, but if you don't have the space, the above command creates a hard link so that C:\EQMac *points* to D:\Games\EQMac.

Alexzander

Sweet, thanks.

What's the difference in syntax from /D (like Torrid suggested) to /J? Do I just need to do this once?

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
When I run eqw.exe it just opens the EQWindow screen, and then when I try to load any .exe it just... doesn't execute lol.

Does being on XP have anything to do with this?