EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Smeds AMA Highlights

It won't be an afterthought. We are going to make PvP matter in an Everquest game or we're going to die trying.

haha. ahahahahaha.

exactly the same power. Literally you guys will be using the same tools we use.

In response to watching a Planetside2 area being built on livestream, and if players will get that for Landmark.

no. I have personally seen every episode of anything Stargate related. I binge watched the entire SG1 series again recently. However we had this offered to us and we passed. I think it will make a great universe for an MMO. We've jut got our hands full.

In response to a Stargate MMO.

1) No. No more kids games. Kids don't spend well and it's very difficult to run a kids game. Turns out Kids do mean stuff to each other a lot.

In response to if SOE will make any more family friendly kids games.

SWG. I would do everything differently.

SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now.

In response to what shut down game he would relaunch. Also said the info about it somewhere out there on the interwebs, we just had to find it. Dunno if trolling or what.

First off - I have to go home after this and tell my 12 year old daughter Rose that her favorite game is going away. I assure everyone out there that I will catch more grief from her than anyone else. She easily plays the game 20 hours a week (ok stop judging me other gaming parents.. it's a friendly game for kids). It makes me really sad to shut down FR, but the truth is we need our resources elsewhere right now.

About FreeRealms shutting down.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
Could this be the game Smedley is talking about, H1Z1?

bFdcBTb.jpg

gogojira_sl

shitlord
SWG was sandbox and this is supposed to be their new home. Zombies came in, screwed everything up and now a massive world must be rebuilt by its players.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The thing that really strikes me is that if they succeed with storybricks and voxel tech it is going to let them produce mmos at a very fast pace. If storybricks and emergent AI really lets them just plop down mobs with preset rules and those mobs go do their own thing they could potentially release a new sci-fi sandbox based off EQN with a more SWG crafting driven feel with a fraction of the cost it might take another studio. They have the animations from PS2 already, which I believe is not using that different of an engine from EQN?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this unannounced MMO is going to be a merge of PS2/EQNL where they basically just plop us down with a much stricter ruleset on building/crafting plus a world with mob spawns using emergent AI thrown around. Enable PVP and guild owned land, which I am sure is tech they are already working on for the two EQ games and you have a pretty solid mmo. They could even copy from EVE and have the center of the map be mostly safe and outside/underground be full pvp with the more valuable resources.

Seems to me that lets them reuse a ton of resources they already have, without the major dev cost of the large scale story events that are gonna be in EQN. I think that is also key, because we already know its all hands on deck for the two EQ games, so whatever the unannounced game is it has to borrow heavily from what they are already doing

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
The announcement of the unannounced game by Smed honestly has me already looking PAST EQN, because I kind of thought with all the sandbox talk, EQN would be that game. But with a comment like that, it's clear EQN will NOT be that kind of sandbox game.

So I am intrigued, but feel a bit sad about EQN.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think EQN will be much more sandboxy than any other EQ or WoW is but I think its also going to be driven by the dev created events that are more set in stone so the world will be a little more locked down than a sandbox like say EVE is.

So like I said I expect this new MMO to be similar to EQN, except probably a different theme, minus those story elements that cause them to have to lockdown the world.

We still don't really know too much about how open EQN is but I don't really think its all that surprising to anyone to find out it won't really be the game that allows full on player built cities wherever you want and that kind of stuff.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I have great hopes for EQN so another game using it's subcomponents can only be good news... in like 5 years?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
EQN still sounds pretty sandboxy. Sure, they have story and are pushing group-based events but that's to be expected with EQ's history, the rebuild, and the type of game this is.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I know it won't happen but I wish SOE would use the EQN/L components to remake SWG but set it on Dune instead of Star Wars. Let me build my own sietch underground and use emergent AI for Harkonnen patrols and sandworms. Plus you get to fight in a sci fi world with swords which is something I love.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I know it won't happen but I wish SOE would use the EQN/L components to remake SWG but set it on Dune instead of Star Wars. Let me build my own sietch underground and use emergent AI for Harkonnen patrols and sandworms. Plus you get to fight in a sci fi world with swords which is something I love.
Wow! I would love that since the original Dune is still one of my favorite books/sci-fi settings, etc ever. Have later expansions be other worlds like Salusa Secundus, Caladan, etc.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
EQN still sounds pretty sandboxy. Sure, they have story and are pushing group-based events but that's to be expected with EQ's history, the rebuild, and the type of game this is.
Will be honest , the Smed AMA and other things have me slightly more hopeful the EQN will be better than I originally thought.

Still banking on a really enterprising group of modders taking the EQL tools and making a Battletech or Black Company setting world I'll jump right into though.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Will be honest , the Smed AMA and other things have me slightly more hopeful the EQN will be better than I originally thought.

Still banking on a really enterprising group of modders taking the EQL tools and making a Battletech or Black Company setting world I'll jump right into though.
I'm really excited about this as well. I loved seeing the homemade mech a designer built for fun. There is a ton of potential here for gamers to make some really impressive worlds. It will probably be harder than slogging through the shitfest the pantheon thread has become but there will be some things coming out in time. As Creslin mentioned with Dune.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
For EQNL the big question for me is whether making your own world like that will really be possible. SOE would have to let you essentially have your own continent/server that only you or your team were allowed to edit and let you create rules on what people are allowed to do.

They need a scenario builder option like an RTS game has essentially. So that all the mod teams can make their own shit and then upload it for people to play through that way. Otherwise ya you will see people make some cool architectural stuff, maybe even over larger areas but you will never see someone really manage to make a game within the game with the tools.

I think about making maps in WC3 and it really required that the game let you set almost all the rules, DOTA would never have worked in that game if they hadn't been allowed to pick what abilities the people playing it had access to, and disable building, and manage the xp curve etc.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
From what I've seen them say is that the AI tools , everything will be available, I'd take that to mean you can change rules and yes run your own server or at least continent using the tools. Real money will be involved I'm sure with your own continent . but they've got to make money with it.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I've seen nothing mentioned about letting players run their own servers and the entire design of upkeep on plots is there to prevent a small group of people from owning vast swaths of land. I seriously doubt you'll see any massive creations unless they come from a large organized group of people consolidating their individual plots.