EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Uhg, I was close to having the same problem. I crashed right after deleting but I did come back with all my stuff. Sometimes when I come back after a crash I'm in a new zone. Probably not the case for you though...

Madikus

Knows nothing.
I just reset my claim and lost about 10 torches, also couldn't replace claim for about 10 minutes.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Where is amethyst found? I thought I found it but can not mine it with my silversteel. Trying to make a tungsten pick but maybe i missed one?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I don't know much about EQN but I can guarantee that if their tools are any good this community will build something amazing together.
As I was running around yesterday, I was seeing some pieces beginning to emerge. About everyone started building with Dirt, since you need so much materials, but there were a number of things with a visibly thought-out shape, as opposed on day 1 single-block pillars and blocky staircases.

Sturgeon's Law is going to apply though (90% of everything is utter crap).

My own challenge is a a floating stone cube balanced on one vertex. It is trickier than it looks, because the faces of the cube aren't going to be at 45 degrees or similar stuff (you can build easily 2 pyramids glued to each other, but that's not a cube).

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yes, it should be like an entire new set of zones to claim(ie. another Courage or Liberation).
Full server name list from Reddit datamining: Courage, Liberation, Satisfaction, Understanding, Rebellion, Serenity, Determination, Confidence, Adventure, Gratitude, Prosperity, Success, Triumph, Victory, Opportunity, Inspiration

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
What I love about Landmark is the lack of tutorials or distracting hand-holding crap (I hope it stays the same). You just spawn in the world and you're free. GOD IT FEELS SO GOOD!

Is this hard to do?
Imagine when the game has content for us to discover. Do we really need a "story" or "quests" in a game? How FUN this game feels just for the fact that I don't have to watch an in-game cinematic or follow quests.

Skurd_sl

shitlord
What I love about Landmark is the lack of tutorials or distracting hand-holding crap (I hope it stays the same). You just spawn in the world and you're free. GOD IT FEELS SO GOOD!

Is this hard to do?
Imagine when the game has content for us to discover. Do we really need a "story" or "quests" in a game? How FUN this game feels just for the fact that I don't have to watch an in-game cinematic or follow quests.
Yeah, it feels great, and I haven't even begun to build yet.
There is no way I'm setting down my claim on lower ground, hills or GTFO ! :p

Where is amethyst found? I thought I found it but can not mine it with my silversteel. Trying to make a tungsten pick but maybe i missed one?
Tier 1 gem on the surface right now. Should be easy to find in desert areas. I can't remember is that is the purple on or the yellow one (there are two yellow ones - one you can do with Iron and one you need tungston for). Use the map zoomed in a bit in desert areas to find the right colored smear.

Meatus_sl

shitlord
btw, any of you trailblazers have a spare beta key? Would like one for good friend of me with financial issues
TrainWreck1.gif

PM if you do have a spare, thanks!
smile.png

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
btw, any of you trailblazers have a spare beta key? Would like one for good friend of me with financial issues
TrainWreck1.gif

PM if you do have a spare, thanks!
smile.png
Beta keys won't work until closed beta in march/april... and each key is valid for 1 week only.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Its amazing how many posts in this thread are about turning alpha off for a week+ until things are fixed. This is the point of alpha testing. Landmark benefits in that the scope is MUCH LESS than any other type of MMO. All they need to do is get critical mass in the game and start squashing bugs. Outages are normal. On the bright side, it's not like they have to balance combat, NPCs, quests, storylines, battlegrounds, zones, dungeons, classes, races, etc. Think about any other MMO and how much other random shit they have to deal with. Also think how smart it is that Sony has this kind of testing JUST for voxel manipulation. This will translate to an even more epic EverQuest game. Just dealing with voxels is enough to strain any company. It will take another company a ton of resources to mimic what Sony will have for the next EQ. Sony will have years of testing to make sure a voxel world can be as bug-free as possible.

My last alpha was GW2 and it was kinda the same shit, except much less players. The servers had outages but were never taken down for extended amounts of time. Devs work fastest when they see what the critical areas are. They made progress extremely fast, changing and adding things quickly week-to-week. Watching the progress is refreshing. If Sony can make all the changes they plan to this week then EQNL will already look like a much different game than it did 1 week ago. Watching the progress unfold is encouraging and keeps me wanting to log in.

You will likely lose/delete/recreate your "builds" 100s/1000s more times in this history of this game. Its the same as Minecraft. Us minecraft veterans have started new builds a ton and have lost a ton. Just because your stuff gets deleted doesn't mean they need to turn the game off. Just build something again. It's actually a pretty fun game considering how limited it is and there is a TON of potential to be unlocked. I have high hopes and am extremely happy with the path Sony is taking here.

Bruman

Golden Squire
My favorite part about this having a paid-for alpha and beta period, is that this basically gives it two complete "soft launches" of the game, so that when the game DOES release, many of the "opening day" garbage that we're all used to with multiplayer games will be hammered out.

Not to say there won't still be issues of course - but it'll still be that much better.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Damn, I was really hoping to snag a decent claim on the new server first thing this morning before I left for work, but I guess they didn't get it up yet? I'm not even bothering until they do, as I just can't be bothered to run for 20+ minutes every time I want to get back to my claim(which was in a Tier I couldn't even farm yet!).

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Managed to get myself stuck under the world somehow. Reset to ground not working, someone send a care package.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
My favorite part about this having a paid-for alpha and beta period, is that this basically gives it two complete "soft launches" of the game, so that when the game DOES release, many of the "opening day" garbage that we're all used to with multiplayer games will be hammered out.

Not to say there won't still be issues of course - but it'll still be that much better.
Think about how invaluable this whole experience is for the actual launch of EQN. The entirety of EQNL might as well be an alpha for EQN as they funnel more features into Landmark from the proper game. They've essentially made a marketable testing grounds where people can try and break their shit, then they learn and adapt their upcoming product.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the shit out of EQNL but holy fuck is it a brilliant marketing move on SOE's end. Hopefully it all equates to a smooth EQN launch.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Stuff about crafting and combat.

Georgeson also revealed more of the plans for crafters. "Remember the classes of EQN where you collect a whole bunch of them and you specialize? We're going to be doing that kind of thing with crafting also." So players who have learned specializations will be able to craft different and better things than players who haven't. Additionally, players will have to work together to craft some really great things, as players will have different specializations.
Combat will be at either the very end of alpha or the start of closed beta. The main hangup with that system is that mobs cannot be introduced into the world yet. "The thing that's stopping us from putting monsters onto the game is that we do not yet have pathfinding code written that works with changeable voxels." In other words, monsters can't just follow points on a path, so a whole new AI server has to be in place to handle calculations on the fly, allowing mobs to move around on ever-changing terrain.

Additionally, once liquid is in the game, players will be able to drown as well as burn in lava. On top of that, falling damage will eventually ensure that players will get hurt if they jump off a mountain without having a grappling hook or gliding. And the ability to slide up mountains will be a thing of the past once those mechanisms are put into place.
He is so crazy open with the problems and the decisions behind what they do compared to other developers.

Paraphrased from interview "NDA? Well that is just something to keep information that we have a bad game from leaking. If the players in it are happy, why keep the NDA? Free Marketing!". (Is TESO still under NDA?.....)

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Pretty awesome they are doing a PS2 style roadmap. It's a really awesome way to see what the devs are currently planning/thinking about with (usually) a tangible timetable.