Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Can anyone explain why SK is good? I played a SK in original through OOW. I remember how underpowered I was until I got my epic1, which I thought was way stupid hard.

I keep reading people say they are a really good.

I'm looking to maybe play a monk, how will they progress throughout the 5 or so expansions on Agnarr?

In Classic they're just "OK" (HT/LT improvements have helped some vs. old classic as well as focii to a limited extent) - but their disciplines are bonkers come Kunark for quite a while.

Sterling

El Presidente
Can anyone explain why SK is good? I played a SK in original through OOW. I remember how underpowered I was until I got my epic1, which I thought was way stupid hard.

I keep reading people say they are a really good.

I'm looking to maybe play a monk, how will they progress throughout the 5 or so expansions on Agnarr?
In classic knights tank all raid content because without discs there's not much drop in mitigation between warriors and knights and knights have tremendously more aggro at this stage of the game. When discs do happen, SKs become a real dps class and they're still great group tanks and offtanks on raids and have awesome pulling tools so they kind of do everything. They're probably the strongest all around class on TLP in these early expansions.

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Roknok - The only other shaman that farmed with regularity was Tub (well Hutorn too but I don't recall him popping into freeti much; dude was too busy with Idols :D)

Yea I made my shaman at the very end of classic. But, I did farm tons of stuff later on. Can't even remember the name of the items I farmed from bilge farfathom. Some belts, some idols

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Roknok - The only other shaman that farmed with regularity was Tub (well Hutorn too but I don't recall him popping into freeti much; dude was too busy with Idols :D)
oh yeah hey. thanks for your help with the trains haha. when i got kicked from aos in classic one of the reasons cited was hogging efreeti. said sachee and i were in cahoots vs tickle and tub rofl. probably just going to level up in classic and wait for kunark. these new picks are still buggy too it'll be interesting. hopefully sachee comes back to terrorize solb again.

plus efreeti just wasnt worth it. I'd get like 1 or 2 rings a day and they'd only sell for about 25 bucks so it was a headache holding it against trainers for 12 hours for the low money. boots were decent but flooded market there. farming rokyl was where it was at though, got like 10 krono per for that son of a bitch offhand, sometimes id get 4 in one night because there'd be like 3-4 solb picks up that i'd race other boxers for. was lot of fun, too bad with the new pick changes that wont happen and probably be one or two picks during primetime then they'll close over night (fgs 5.5hr respawn).

I think the BAM farmers are where it's at, along with some other spots.

Fugg me, I had to register an account here because this got me all excited. I played on Brell Serilis way back and used to love the shit out of Velious/Luclin/PoP raiding. I haven't played EQ in a few years, so I am going to mess around to get the noob vibe back. Thinking Cleric or Wizard for live...If anyone wants to do the same, hit me up...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noahx

N00b
Efreeti brings out the worst in people. BAM is a good farm if you know the spawn points and timers.

For those coming back - Jboots are easy to get now... AC / cyclops are even a decent camp for xp/cash.

Sterling

El Presidente
I never really understood how they go out of there way to get rid of out of era stuff and cool with the Runnyeye revamp being in at the start.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never really understood how they go out of there way to get rid of out of era stuff and cool with the Runnyeye revamp being in at the start.

Yea RE 2.0 really has needed to be on the chopping block forever - it's scaled to be loot equivalent to low-end Velious.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yea RE 2.0 really has needed to be on the chopping block forever - it's scaled to be loot equivalent to low-end Velious.
Yeah, in Classic BAM is BiS for almost everyone with a mana bar. And the weapons are on par with stuff from much later on levelwise.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
New RE isn't great but I don't hate it in an environment where we had mage pets soloing yellows from level 2 onward. Pets have been nerfed a bit but casters are all still pretty damn strong. If you don't have RE than you have really shitty itemization paths for melee classes.

As part of a larger plan to strip out things that were out of era I'd be 100% for it but as it stands I wouldn't want to just see it reverted.

Sterling

El Presidente
New RE isn't great but I don't hate it in an environment where we had mage pets soloing yellows from level 2 onward. Pets have been nerfed a bit but casters are all still pretty damn strong. If you don't have RE than you have really shitty itemization paths for melee classes.

As part of a larger plan to strip out things that were out of era I'd be 100% for it but as it stands I wouldn't want to just see it reverted.
I don't really care about it, just seems weird that every caster/priest/hybrid needs an item off some level 25 trashcans. And not just some item, an item that matters more than any of your planar armor will.

Sterling

El Presidente
It is indeed a dumb item. Foci in general are kinda on the dumb side.
Well you kind of need them to make caster gear matter and it helps match up with all the extra shit the melee have had added over the years along with the spell revamps. Would just be better if they put Mana Pres on something from a raid or at least a high level dungeon.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The power creep has definitely been happening on both sides that's for sure. It was during this last batch of prog servers that the plus % damage AAs were added for all the melee and hybrids.

I don't want to give up Origin though. I've got none zero not any nostalgia for getting around being a gigantic fucking pain.

Thrudd

Silver Knight of the Realm
If anyone gets bored, I'm soloing on Ragefire with my halfling cleric to get a good feel for the exp.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
We did a 10 hour test grind last night just to see how things looked. Parsing suggests that there is extreme value in having a Mage in the group for the pet dps + nukes. Looking at Mark of the Old Ways (mage pet debuff on raids) it only becomes a huge issue at 9+ pets on the raid mob at a time. With that said I encourage people to consider squeezing one mage in their group along with the enchanter, it should help you stay ahead of the curve especially early on when the Enchanter can't charm.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
We did a 10 hour test grind last night just to see how things looked.

Madman!

Throughout most of RF/LJ pets couldn't actually take aggro provided a player was in melee range with the NPC. Now that melee range doesn't guarantee a monster swings at you leveling groups can combine pet classes and melee classes without getting flat out punished. Shit, you can stick a rogue and a mage together and the rogue can actually backstab and not just end up a horrible tank.

Tactician

Ancient
We did a 10 hour test grind last night just to see how things looked. Parsing suggests that there is extreme value in having a Mage in the group for the pet dps + nukes. Looking at Mark of the Old Ways (mage pet debuff on raids) it only becomes a huge issue at 9+ pets on the raid mob at a time. With that said I encourage people to consider squeezing one mage in their group along with the enchanter, it should help you stay ahead of the curve especially early on when the Enchanter can't charm.

That's awesome to hear, as I'm planning on making a Mage. Something different from the Warrior / Cleric combo I did for years