Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

Sterling

El Presidente
So to expand on my last post; how many dickbags am I going to suck by rolling ranger at launch? Also, when will I be strong?
You're more of a tank than dps in classic/kunark, and sort of mediocre, but not terrible melee dps in velious. In Luclin you're the same as Velious except when you have Trueshot Disc you're a real dps. Once you hit PoP you're the top DPS by a lot. In LDoN the gap between Rangers and other classes closes some, but you're still pretty much at the top and you get to do it with very little aggro.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It was said before, but an advantage to a Ranger is all the toys you get to have that most likely you never had before. Scimitar of the Mistwalker is one of them, and the Wind bow is another.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pwe

Are there any quality of life changes for evils like a DE SK, compared to real classic? DE is just for the looks, btw. I would hate to be KoS everywhere, always played non-evil.

Sterling

El Presidente
Are there any quality of life changes for evils like a DE SK, compared to real classic? DE is just for the looks, btw. I would hate to be KoS everywhere, always played non-evil.
Starting faction is 99 percent irrelevant by like Kunark anyways, so just play what you want.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

There are simple, repeatable quests for almost every faction if it's something you are worried about.

pwe

Then I guess it all dependes on xp rates. If its too slow for our casual group of 4 we might not even make it to Kunark before we quit. But thanks!

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reading the DBG forums and people are so salty at P99 "newbs" coming to Agnarr. Completely boggles me as the people in IB / TR on P99 were probably on average about 2-5x better raiders than most people on Ragefire or Phinigel.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
So to expand on my last post; how many dickbags am I going to suck by rolling ranger at launch? Also, when will I be strong?

My experience on Phinigel was that good groups relied heavily on ENC charm; only shit groups really needed a tank... it was more about being a badass puller who can deal with overcrowded zones and keep their group fed with kills. That being said, with the way AC is overpowered on these servers, I'm pretty sure a Ranger has no problem tanking if need be. Its just that... why not have the ENC pet tank?

edit: friends have mentioned Ranger is nice in that they can farm Quillmane and Rathe Mountain names, too.

Vaclav

Yes and by the shit ton

Heh, RNG is pretty random - we got like 5x the RBBs as Mistwalkers for us. We only had 3 rangers and the last just barely got his before it turned off. (Admittedly we only double split her and no open world ones so we didn't do astonomical numbers of her)

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Doing 2 splits means you did 24 kills? We did over 240 for our sample size. We sold more Mistwalkers to the public than probably the next 3-5 guilds got combined.

Vaclav

Doing 2 splits means you did 24 kills? We did over 240 for our sample size. We sold more Mistwalkers to the public than probably the next 3-5 guilds got combined.

Yep RNG evens out alot with more kills - I know you guys were doing 5-6 splits (if not more) some weeks.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My experience on Phinigel was that good groups relied heavily on ENC charm; only shit groups really needed a tank... it was more about being a badass puller who can deal with overcrowded zones and keep their group fed with kills. That being said, with the way AC is overpowered on these servers, I'm pretty sure a Ranger has no problem tanking if need be. Its just that... why not have the ENC pet tank?

edit: friends have mentioned Ranger is nice in that they can farm Quillmane and Rathe Mountain names, too.

You need a "tank" still when charming. Charms break. Pets dont touch mezzed mobs. Adds and mess happen.

Sure, the enc pet may be tanking 95% of the time, but that ranger (or whoever) taking the first volley after mez break or while waiting for mez, or keeping the agro while they recharm, is still invaluable. Also many times you are keeping the pet indefinitely and a tank mitigates better, so easier to heal the pc tank.

My only reservation would be doing pohate or hole undead; that shit hurts and you may want real plate armor in front.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Reading the DBG forums and people are so salty at P99 "newbs" coming to Agnarr. Completely boggles me as the people in IB / TR on P99 were probably on average about 2-5x better raiders than most people on Ragefire or Phinigel.

As one of those IB P99 "newbs" - these idiots have no idea what they are talking about.

rad

Lord of Guk
As one of those IB P99 "newbs" - these idiots have no idea what they are talking about.

I think this type of talk is rooted in the fact TLP is not p99. So unless you've played on some of the prior TLPs you're at a disadvantage, things are considerably different. As for the actual players, I wouldn't be surprised to find this to be true (higher quality). Tons of idiots on these progression servers, but even those fools had tricks I was unaware of initially.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I just hope plenty of the EQMac community filters there way into this community. I have never met a nicer group of people in EQ than those guys.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Madikus

Knows nothing.
I think this type of talk is rooted in the fact TLP is not p99. So unless you've played on some of the prior TLPs you're at a disadvantage, things are considerably different. As for the actual players, I wouldn't be surprised to find this to be true (higher quality). Tons of idiots on these progression servers, but even those fools had tricks I was unaware of initially.

Oh yea, I totally get that. I have been blowing up faceless chat with questions on the things I figure are different and getting myself prepped for the changes. The core mechanics of the game though are really pretty close, and some of the things I picked up in my years with IB/Ramp will absolutely carry into and put me at an advantage on Agnarr. I personally spent a good amount of time on Fippy but that was years ago, and my more recent time on p99 has pretty much clouded my memory of things on Fippy.

• 1Solidarity

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh yea, I totally get that. I have been blowing up faceless chat with questions on the things I figure are different and getting myself prepped for the changes. The core mechanics of the game though are really pretty close, and some of the things I picked up in my years with IB/Ramp will absolutely carry into and put me at an advantage on Agnarr. I personally spent a good amount of time on Fippy but that was years ago, and my more recent time on p99 has pretty much clouded my memory of things on Fippy.

You'll find the TLPs are easy mode compared to P99, there so much out of era content and QOL features to make it much easier.

Who were you in IB? did you see Elaida in Faceless chat? Quite a handful of us were in the Ragefire and Phinny guild.