Everquest AMA Answered!

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I just saw the "significant technical costs to reopen Alkabor" comment

These ppl cannot be taken seriously

I've spent more on this forum then a year of EQlive sub costs, and I'd probably spend 10x that on a classic PVP server with kronos.

10x in the first month.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I have to agree. I started on live on Tallon Zek and fully embraced PvP, it wasn't balanced but it was fun. But it has turned into something else. Relentless griefing, no respect. Not worth it, I don't believe it would have a decent population. P99 red was a cesspool.

R99 became terrible because staff didn't enforce rules, and when they enforced rules their actions made the server worse.

The actions of some staff go far beyond that, they lost any hope of (future) credibility on the server.

Resetting the server and banning everyone that is toxic in any channel, along with enforcing some very basic rules, would make the server far better then it was back then.

But its 2019, so the staff tells people what they like, not the other way around.

I just saw the "significant technical costs to reopen Alkabor" comment

Guessing they had to replace the rubber bands in the CD-drive.

Last edited:

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
R99 became terrible because staff didn't enforce rules, and when they enforced rules their actions made the server worse.

The actions of some staff go far beyond that, they lost any hope of (future) credibility on the server.

Resetting the server and banning everyone that is toxic in any channel, along with enforcing some very basic rules, would make the server far better then it was back then.

But its 2019, so the staff tells people what they like, not the other way around.

Guessing they had to replace the rubber bands in the CD-drive.

P99 staff isn't to blame for making P99 red suck, it was the cesspool, mouth breathing pieces of shit who ruined it. Just saying. They shit in their own bed then wondered why no one wanted to lay with them. Supreme toxicity. Who the fuck wants to be around that?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
P99 staff isn't to blame for making P99 red suck, it was the cesspool, mouth breathing pieces of shit who ruined it. Just saying. They shit in their own bed then wondered why no one wanted to lay with them. Supreme toxicity. Who the fuck wants to be around that?

Why were these people allowed to continue their toxic behavior?

Banning people is really low effort, did you know that?

While Nirgon Nirgon has a dubious reputation, I was guilded with him, he even helped me level up. Funny how I know 1 guy here from r99 and he actually helped me. Great PVPer also.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I have to agree. I started on live on Tallon Zek and fully embraced PvP, it wasn't balanced but it was fun. But it has turned into something else. Relentless griefing, no respect. Not worth it, I don't believe it would have a decent population. P99 red was a cesspool.

As someone who did EQpvp from beta when they brought Rallos online, all the way to red99, EQ pvp CAN work. But honestly you'd need a classic pvp nut like me put in charge of it. Not trying to toot my own horn, but just being honest. You'd need a classic/roleplay pvper from the days before widespread griefing and 24/7 trolls to sit ontop of it from a design and GM standpoint to keep it from capsizing into that cesspool. It would be the only way based on how i've seen EQpvp communities evolve over the years.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It can work if gms enforce play nice rules? Sounds like it won't work. Let dbg when they can launch it without staff costs and have it succeed.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It can work if gms enforce play nice rules? Sounds like it won't work. Let dbg when they can launch it without staff costs and have it succeed.

Have you ever played on r99? You must not have, since you seem to be confusing "play nice rules" with anything regarding that server.

I recorded someone boxing, which got ignored, attempts to contact staff resulted in guide Eunomia telling me she'd ban me if I pressed the issue.

Please. Some samples from the CS team:

Green Grocer Goodbye.

Braknar Goodbye.

Eunomia has deleted her account on reddit I guess.

Top level CS service, not like these people were angry / frustrated.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
PvP will never (again) work on modern EQ because of how much cheating Daybreak either can not or will not police. Unless some magic unicorn comes down and puts a stop to people being able to download programs such as MySEQ (which any idiot can download and get up and running for FREE in under 5 minutes) you are never going to have an environment that feels rewarding to play in.

Yeah EQ PvP was decent, 20 years ago. Stop digging up that horse to beat it more, it's already decomposed.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

No not play nice rules, I preached against them on red99. I also fought against them removing xp loss on pvp death too. Both were ezmode moves and the latter ended up helping the griefers MORE by letting them be dick kamikazes over and over or engage in senseless pvp for harassment sake with no consequence. I think the community should be shaped by in game systems. Think more like faction hits with NPC guard/merchant consequences and removing non-classic avenues of community degradation like /global.

And yes DBGs has a snowballs chance in hell of doing this. It would have to be volunteer work.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you can propose a server idea that requires the same "upkeep" as any other tlp server, and promise it will have a population that plays on it, they will listen.

Your pvp server needs to:
1. Require only a default eq server template, plus pvp. "Tz/vz pvp rules, phinny unlocks, truebox yes, aoc no." This might fly. Start asking for a new design, special loot rules, different instance models... Forget it.
2. Require only a default level of cs support, OR LESS. This is self explanatory really, if your server needs additional human resources to work you will be more kindly told to go get fucked.
3. Utilize all the same for profit functionality such as krono and bag sales that dbg needs.
4. Have as many or may players play on this as would have gone to some cookie cutter phinny 4.0 server.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I didn't expect this much salt over EQ PVP.

But it is glorious to behold.

I'm not putting anyone down, just LOL'ing at how serious people are about it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
absor said:
They asked us, we didn't seek them out. And you're kidding yourself if the think FoH is outside the EQ family. Note the number of questions and the fact that not all of them were psychotic or mean spirited and actually related to the game. There are players there too. We love and respect all the places you mentioned and the ones you didn't. And we've answered questions from those places too, and would do again in the future.

However, answering 100+ questions takes a lot of time and time is precious. Also, I am of the opinion that if the questions are not curated to at least remove the duplicates, we shouldn't bother next time. But that's just me.
Get it together you losers and your 4x necro dot questions.

• 2Like

Well, spend an hour glancing at the p99 boards. It was classic for the r99 people to basically derail any and all threads. Some of you know. So, in other words, this is kind of comically ironic. OF COURSE a thread about issues surrounding classic EQ is going to get invaded by the PvP "hordes" -- all 6 of them.

Shit's classic...

• 1Like

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
A necro tried to pvp my sk once on agnarr and he got raped. I whacked him with tuna blade and he got rooted and he freaked out and i unholyd him down unceremoniously was hilarious.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

Its not like I'm hoping there will ever be a quality EQ PVP server again, that boat has sailed.

I'm salty as fuck about that side of the game being ignored for most of its existence, then to be told "well noone is playing it, so obviously it always was terrible and undesired"

People that reason in such ways should stick to reading scripts in a call center, or assembling burgers according to the instructions.

But its the videya gamez industry, so fuck reason.
Absor really has a stick up his ass.

the whole cracked staff

(somehow this made me think of Pantheon)

• 2Like

tarb

Trakanon Raider
Very nice of them to take time to answer these questions :)
In regards to the "keeping old stuff fresh" personally I really like the Empires of Kunark and Ring of Scale stuff, I was kinda disappointing that the newest expansion wasn't redone PoP zones like the last couple expansions.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Don't worry, you're getting Return to Velious this winter. Still curious if they are going to set it in the past like when Thurgadin is being constructed or if its some other thing.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Very nice of them to take time to answer these questions :)
In regards to the "keeping old stuff fresh" personally I really like the Empires of Kunark and Ring of Scale stuff, I was kinda disappointing that the newest expansion wasn't redone PoP zones like the last couple expansions.

Oh yes, they truly are gods for doing an AMA thread.

I put somewhere north of 5k$ into Legends of Norrath, before it got cancelled.

I mean it was an EQ cardgame, that didn't completely suck, that is how low the barrier is.

Please continue sucking the dicks of people that gave EQ herpes.

"technical costs for a new server are high"

Please.