Everquest II

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Steamfont, along with the other zones on the "Golden Path" got their quests reworked a couple years ago. So there are a mix of well thought out quests and probably a sprinkling of older ones from the original content.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Steamfont, along with the other zones on the "Golden Path" got their quests reworked a couple years ago. So there are a mix of well thought out quests and probably a sprinkling of older ones from the original content.
They really missed the boat on that then as well. They have the leveling all out of whack. Starting with listing it as a 30-40 zone, but the lowest quest there is 35, and even then the quest range at the first hub after the initia NPC standing on the hill varies from 35-44. And about 4 of those are 40+. If I went in there at level 31 thinking it was time to progress through another area without knowing any better, I would just log out. That is really shitty design, being that it was redesigned, makes it even worse.

Does it get better or worse? All I want is a solid progression path. Not entering a zone I am told to go to and see a whole bunch of red quests.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fun so far but this UI is so goddamn dated. All the sounds/graphics/UI are exactly the same as they were at launch.

I honestly think EQ1 looks better than this.

Still having fun, but it's just ugly as fuck.

It's better than launch though. I remember starting as 1 of 4 base classes, then picking another spec at level 10, then your final class at 20 or something. It was FUCKING SHITTY.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
You rang?
Guild hall needs topping up, btw.
tongue.png

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They really missed the boat on that then as well. They have the leveling all out of whack. Starting with listing it as a 30-40 zone, but the lowest quest there is 35, and even then the quest range at the first hub after the initia NPC standing on the hill varies from 35-44. And about 4 of those are 40+. If I went in there at level 31 thinking it was time to progress through another area without knowing any better, I would just log out. That is really shitty design, being that it was redesigned, makes it even worse.

Does it get better or worse? All I want is a solid progression path. Not entering a zone I am told to go to and see a whole bunch of red quests.
I'm pretty sure Steamfont is considered Levels 35-45ish - the level tiers in Faydwer aren't really the same as the original continents. Not to mention, if you are using a Silver account half of your EXP gets dumped into AA which means you might need to do multiple zones in the same Tier to be the correct level range.

I'd use this:

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Solo_Progression_%28EQ2%29

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
That's good to hear that made having no subscription better.

I started up again once they went F2P and at that point they just had 2/3 races as well as classes to choose between. I believe I was playing an Erudite Sorc, but it sucked not being able to check out the other races/classes.

Would you have any recommendations as choosing a class? Paladin or bard has peaked my interest, but I am completely new to these classes and don't know much about them.
Well paladin is actually in a really good position right now as a tank, bards are always needed so it depends on what you want to play. Bards basically charge damage then hit a temp buff and each hit you do does damage (Victorious Concerto) and one of them rez. Paladins have heals that give mitigation, damage reduction, stoneskins and temp damage reductions and a damage absorption.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure Steamfont is considered Levels 35-45ish - the level tiers in Faydwer aren't really the same as the original continents. Not to mention, if you are using a Silver account half of your EXP gets dumped into AA which means you might need to do multiple zones in the same Tier to be the correct level range.

I'd use this:

That may be a big part of it; I leveled my SK on a sub and I ended up out-leveling my quests and having to turn all XP to AA quite often. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to quests so it was actually a real PITA to have a full quest log and having fully half of them be gray because the XP I was getting was actually too much in a sense.

Mind you when I quit I'd done maybe 2.5k quests, and I hadn't really played all that long.

Utnayan: SKs are great tanks, especially if you end up doing group based content/dungeons, farming, old content solo, or stuff like PLing. That said, when I quit there were "better" raid tanks and Pally'sAmendswas something I ended up being a little jealous of. Agro in raids was where I had issues with, as SK is more dependent on damage you're also more dependent on gear. SKs have more snaps but honestly I'd prefer not having to need all those snaps in the first place. Also many of the SKs strengths are negated if you aren't in a fight with a lot of adds. I tried going full DPS and DPS group buffer, but I ended up in a situation where I then produced too much agro and that highlighted a problem with FD. In EQ2 FD doesn't wipe or reset your agro, it just accelerates your agro decay IIRC meaning that if you pull agro on a raid and just FD for a few seconds, if you pop up out of reflex (assuming that it's like EQ1) before your agro drops enough the mob turns again and now your FD is on cooldown. I tried for a while to boost my DPS by actually watching the swing timer (which is a terrible mechanic BTW) but I ended up feeling like if by doing so my DPS jumped but that associated DPS jump then made my agro difficult to control then the increased DPS was an issue. Also I felt that the agro paradigm in EQ2 was terrible and I knew a lot of tanks that as long as they had enough crit mit (think they may have changed crit mit when or after I quit?) they then went with as much DPS as they could as DPS weighs pretty heavily for tank agro as opposed to other MMOs.

Also 25% of the game's total classes are fighters and I had guilds where a couple tanks were enough and people would be asked to roll alternate characters because no one needs 5-6 tanks on every raid when they can stack up on more DPS classes instead.

I've talked with other people and they had different experiences from mine (/shrug), but when I quit I had other toons for raids and my SK (max lvl/AA) was for PLing and farming. It was especially nice to solo old dungeons while chrono'ed for shinies and the plat chests, as SKs can really plow through that shit pretty fast. I farmed thousands of plat out of boredom that way and I think I ended up working on getting a bunch of my 10k Slayer titles just for something to do, lol.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>

I'd use this:

Ok. Yeah I am not silver or free to play so all set there, but with the revamps maybe it would be better to get those UI mods and check other sites. I should grab that EQ maps deal - its probably way more functional then in game.

zhr0_sl

shitlord
Well paladin is actually in a really good position right now as a tank, bards are always needed so it depends on what you want to play. Bards basically charge damage then hit a temp buff and each hit you do does damage (Victorious Concerto) and one of them rez. Paladins have heals that give mitigation, damage reduction, stoneskins and temp damage reductions and a damage absorption.
I guess I'll be rolling paladin then, they seem like they would be fun to play solo, thank you.

Edit: Does anyone know if Beastlord would be a good class to start off with?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Anyone that saw all those hotbars and still considers going back to this game is a fucking masochist.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I had seven buttons there weren't buffs last time I played.

(each a macro with up to 15 abilities in it)

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am a long time EQ player. Played heavily on both EQ1 proggy servers and back in '99.

I loaded up EQ2 for the first time today. I just couldn't get into it. The feel was off. Thinking I need to give it another shot?? Convince me somehow? LOL...want to get into some game!

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
You missed the boat. The game that was enjoyable a few years after release is p much gone now. There's not a really big pop and you're going to do the worst part of the game (the solo questing) all the way up. Skip it, pick up a newer game.

I say this as someone who finally uninstalled it after having it sitting on my computer for a couple years of off and on play. Game just isn't the same anymore, not worth investing time into it.

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thanks man. I'd give the same advice to someone trying to get into EQ1 now....unless they do another proggy server

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I am a long time EQ player. Played heavily on both EQ1 proggy servers and back in '99.

I loaded up EQ2 for the first time today. I just couldn't get into it. The feel was off. Thinking I need to give it another shot?? Convince me somehow? LOL...want to get into some game!
I feel your pain. I have a level 70 Warlock and a level 40 Ranger. I tried to play them last week but honestly have no frickin idea what I'm doing. I fired it up a new character three times over the last two days just because I have absolutely nothing else to play, and forced myself to play a few hours each time. I'm pretty much done.

On the flip side, it is F2P and you can fire it up anytime you want if you think you might get into it. There's a ton of content and I know on AB where I started there seems to be a fair amount of people. Personally, the game just bored me to tears. The combat was awful and the quests really did nothing for me.

If you haven't played through Rift yet, I'd give it the nod over EQ2, although 50-60 in Storm Legion leveling is gawd awful. It's free to play and lacks the silly restrictions that SOE has on their F2P games.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I feel your pain. I have a level 70 Warlock and a level 40 Ranger. I tried to play them last week but honestly have no frickin idea what I'm doing. I fired it up a new character three times over the last two days just because I have absolutely nothing else to play, and forced myself to play a few hours each time. I'm pretty much done.

On the flip side, it is F2P and you can fire it up anytime you want if you think you might get into it. There's a ton of content and I know on AB where I started there seems to be a fair amount of people. Personally, the game just bored me to tears. The combat was awful and the quests really did nothing for me.

If you haven't played through Rift yet, I'd give it the nod over EQ2, although 50-60 in Storm Legion leveling is gawd awful. It's free to play and lacks the silly restrictions that SOE has on their F2P games.
That pay to use your gear is the biggest crock of shit ever. After it went f2p I tried giving it a shot, but logged it immediately after finding out I couldn't equip most of my gear.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Anyone that saw all those hotbars and still considers going back to this game is a fucking masochist.
If you're talking about that screenshot earlier it was a combination of hotbars from I'd say 4 different characters. Looks like illusionist at top left, maybe monk bottom left, brigand top right, wizard bottom right. Still a lot of buttons per class but it's not as bad as people make out. Some of those hotbars are very out of date as well with multiple abilities which have been consolidated a long time ago.

EQ2 definitely has an ability bloat problem but it's not hard to manage imo. Just use macros if you're lazy. My bruiser has 3 buttons. 1) single target, 2) AE, 3) temp buffs.