Everquest II

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
As I said before.. the game is too far gone and that's sad. I really think with the right direction, it could have been a great game to re-visit.
I honestly think the first year the Nagafen server was up was some of the best MMO gaming I have had. Not #1, but it was up there.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
echoes to kunark was a pretty rad period and a little shadow odyssey. rest was bullshit

penalty_sl

shitlord
I honestly think the first year the Nagafen server was up was some of the best MMO gaming I have had. Not #1, but it was up there.
Yup. My time spent on naggy server was definitely one of my favorite gaming experiences. I'd play an eq2 emu server in a heartbeat.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm with ya. Loved that first year or so of Naggy. Still not sure how they messed that up. I guess like everything else, time takes it toll on things.

Kaita

Golden Squire
I played on Venekor for several years before the merge. Open world pvp wasn't perfect but the battlegrounds and the changes to make PVP gear not useful in PVE killed it for many including myself.

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
What's the deal with EQ2's Test server? Can I play without restrictions ala EQ? I wouldn't mind running through the content once more seeing as I haven't played in years.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
What's the deal with EQ2's Test server? Can I play without restrictions ala EQ? I wouldn't mind running through the content once more seeing as I haven't played in years.
EQ2's test server is separated into a test copy server (which gets wiped) and a test server (which doesn't.)

There's no sub requirement and free all-access on the test server I think?

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
EQ2's test server is separated into a test copy server (which gets wiped) and a test server (which doesn't.)

There's no sub requirement and free all-access on the test server I think?
I tried last night on the normal Test server and as soon as I got to character creation, stuff was on lock out (one race and one class), so I am going to assume it's not totally unrestricted like EQ. Might just play through on a normal server for a bit I guess.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I noticed Holly posted their roadmap and their upcoming changes.... I wish they would address the core issues with this game. I know it's no secret but I would feel better if I could tell her about 4 things I would like to see change in EQ2. Not that it will open the floodgate of subscribers but the game would be so much more enjoyable if they would just fix a few things and I know they are aware of them.

If nothing else, fine a way to get about 8 abilities on the bar and maybe a few buffs and make that it. Last i played I had about 8 action bars full of crap. Just have 1 with maybe a secondary bar for buffs and/or custom commands.

Fix the stupid currency and itemization. The game has a huge drain sucking the player base into it. You find a vendor, you get Quest A, B, C... you jump in the instance you complete the instance for a reward, in addition to completing the quests, and you turn everything in and presto, you can almost by a piece of armor. You just have to get your quests and go through your instance again about 100 more times. Oh, and did I mention the utility that places you in a group so you can participate in the instance so you can mindlessly gather this currency is broken.

So you get the abilities straightened out, you go back to a more simplified currency system (or here's an idea, go back to looting items instead of farming tokens), and get rid of your ignorant variations of 1 piece of armor, you would have a game I would still play, even if its casual, to this day.

*Note* My information may be dated... this is a pretty old rant for me but I liked EQ2 and could almost say I loved it. The Naggy days were some of the best in my MMO career and that's saying a lot as I came from the glories days of EQ. I just don't get their methodology in moving forward with this game. I seriously doubt management cares much and if they really had passion for the genre and the game itself, they would fix that crap.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Your list might be succinct, but it's far from realistic. They could just remove the vendors and the currency from the loot tables, but overhauling the ability system is something that would take years with their skeleton crew of a team.

Besides, there's absolutely zero chance of them doing anything related to messing with people's hotbars. The only people who are still willing to pay/play EQ2 are people who are so invested and resistant to change that something that drastic is sure to make them consider trying another game, and SOE knows it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People called for ability consolidation years ago when population actually had better numbers. I think its a pipe dream now to expect any changes.

This game is far too long gone.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
People called for ability consolidation years ago when population actually had better numbers. I think its a pipe dream now to expect any changes.

This game is far too long gone.
I remember all to well. I guess I have to rant time to time to get it out of my system in regards to EQII. Also, they've had years and in my experiences abilities and hot bars have been the primary complaint for year.s Every now and again when I see an update, I guess I hold on to some hope that one dev has been working for a while sorting through this and ironing it out. It's unrealistic, I get it, but one can hope a little.

I agree and said it a few posts back as well. The game truly is too far gone.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's really a shame. The game started at a decent speed, but with the introduction and subsequent hyperinflation of +spell / ability haste, +spell / ability reuse, etc it's just snowballed into this clusterfuck of hyper spam. Added to the fact that most of the new abilities and AA were additional skills (more buttons to push). The huge mistake in that was adding so much bullshit. If they focused on simply passive skill improvements of base abilites vs adding dozens it would have kept the combat a lot leaner. Hell, they could have incentivized sales of an expac by offering AA that would consolidate some of the bloat into a single ability. (AA takes 4 wizzy baby nukes / debuffs and rolls them into 1 new spell, etc)

There are many other viable alternatives but they just never would commit. The game in the Hartsman era really took off (Kunark, etc) for content, but they just wouldnt fix the combat system disaster. EQ2 really had it's chance at redemption to become a big contender, but leave it to SoE to fuck things up as usual.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty annoyed with this. I mentioned I started it back up, I believe I was a 78 necro when I did. I hit 90 and noticed that I wasn't gaining experience anymore. Turns out that level 95 is reserved unless you bought Chains of Eternity. Except you can't even buy Chains of Eternity, you've got to shell out fucking $40 for the newest expansion. So I think I'm done with my latest foray into EQ2. Why even bother having it as F2P when I can't play crap from 2 expansions ago? I was more than willing to spend money on microtransactions too, but fuck $40 for this old as shit game.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Pretty annoyed with this. I mentioned I started it back up, I believe I was a 78 necro when I did. I hit 90 and noticed that I wasn't gaining experience anymore. Turns out that level 95 is reserved unless you bought Chains of Eternity. Except you can't even buy Chains of Eternity, you've got to shell out fucking $40 for the newest expansion. So I think I'm done with my latest foray into EQ2. Why even bother having it as F2P when I can't play crap from 2 expansions ago? I was more than willing to spend money on microtransactions too, but fuck $40 for this old as shit game.
I didn't know that... how ignorant. Someone get Holly on these boards so we can at least tell her what we think. I know it's pointless but it would make me feel better.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Games dead just give it up. It was amazing once but now it's dead. If it wasn't called Everquest 2 it would have got slain with Vanguard.