Everquest - Live Servers

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Which brings me to a question I've had for a while, what's the best trio of the same class for DPS? Like if I was running an SK/SHM/BRD trio and decided to fill it out with DPS instead of mercs (provided the SK is geared well enough for the shaman to have heals well covered). What would be the best trio of the same class in that scenario? 3x Mage, 3x Berserker, 3x Monk, 3x Rogue, 3x Ranger, 3x Wizard? Or is a trio of differing classes always going to be superior? I would think 3x of the same class would be good for someone who wants less fuss, since controlling 3 characters at once to do the same thing would be easier. Hell, 5x berserkers decimating everything while you play a shaman and keep them epic'd and healed would probably be a pretty good meat-grinder group for a lazy person that could contribute to raids pretty effectively (assuming all of them could actually get geared up, and it'd be a project).
3x of any class will be relatively poor because the game is designed from the bottom up to bring in different roles and group buffs. Bards are a good focal point of that, virtually every 3box with the same class would benefit dramatically from replacing one of them with a bard. Stacking the same class was pretty strong when they added alliances (I did 3x berserker + war + brd + bst in this era, it was great), but alliances haven't kept up with mudflation.

Presuming perfect skills, good 3x combos include necros and beastlords, mostly because they are both really strong right now and are self-sufficient in terms of mana and ADPS.

If you're looking for an easy box, it'd just be really hard to beat shd / shm / brd. All three are just so strong. A case could be made for replacing the shd for a war, since wars are very easy to play and you could just auto-attack and switch to brd / shm.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I came back briefly and played some modern era EQ in 2021 when the Terror of Luclin expansion dropped. The game seemed to be all about Berserkers at that time. Everyone had two or three of them in their box/PL'er group setups. Their DPS was shocking.

Shaman's, SK's, Bard's, and Berserker's seemed to be the Meta at that time. Oh and everyone was using ISboxer/Macroquest, which didn't appeal to me, so I didn't last long.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I added the druid to my group just to level one up. I was going to do 4 or 5, but decided to go for a full group and not use mercs this time around.

I've had no issues with alternate personas, besides have all that gear in my bags. The system seems to work well, and i may do more personas later.

I only use isboxer 1.0 to multibox. So I spend a fair amount of time setting up my keybinds and in game macros to run the group effectively, which has gotten more important as I've moved into 80+. I like it because it makes me really learn the spells and aa's of each class, and how to not die whwn things don't go as planned. I saw isboxer2 available recently, has anyone tried it?

sukik

I came back briefly and played some modern era EQ in 2021 when the Terror of Luclin expansion dropped. The game seemed to be all about Berserkers at that time. Everyone had two or three of them in their box/PL'er group setups. Their DPS was shocking.

Shaman's, SK's, Bard's, and Berserker's seemed to be the Meta at that time. Oh and everyone was using ISboxer/Macroquest, which didn't appeal to me, so I didn't last long.
I use isboxer, but no macroquest. If something else was doing all the work I'd lose interest. Part of the fun for me is making the group I'm playing work well.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I only use isboxer 1.0 to multibox. So I spend a fair amount of time setting up my keybinds and in game macros to run the group effectively, which has gotten more important as I've moved into 80+. I like it because it makes me really learn the spells and aa's of each class, and how to not die whwn things don't go as planned. I saw isboxer2 available recently, has anyone tried it?
I don't even know if ISBoxer 2.0 is in use much? I've never seen or heard about it being used for EverQuest.

hory

The last 20 posts for a MMORPG are how to effectively play 3 or more characters and what's 3 to play by yourself. No mention of the latest expansion or end game.

I miss eq! RIP

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The last 20 posts for a MMORPG are how to effectively play 3 or more characters and what's 3 to play by yourself. No mention of the latest expansion or end game.

I miss eq! RIP
Brother the end game is mastering boxing. Not a lot of games that support that and EQ is the best one.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrysB

Trakanon Raider
I'm getting the itch to try and play live again. I have a 110 group of Sk/shm/bard/zerker/rogue/druid. I really like the buffs that shm/clr/ranger/mage bring so was think of running that with the SK and the bard. Would the sk and bard be fine with those four or would I be better off with a war or pally tank?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Me and my family have been playing quite a bit lately and having a great time! We are on Tunare - Seventh Hammer, we have two mages and a bard, bringing up a SK at the moment and currently in our low 90's.

We've been doing CotF missions and looking to move to the next spot. Not sure where that is yet, possibly Plane of Health but looking for recommendations.

If anyone is on the server, just send Atempo a tell and we're happy to let some folks in. I'm super casual this week due to work but drop me a message and i'll share the rest of our toon names to play.

Haven't had this much fun since Agnarr.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I played for a short time during the HoT expansion. My ranger main and a shaman alt. I did mostly duo stuff but sometimes with a group.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
3x of any class will be relatively poor because the game is designed from the bottom up to bring in different roles and group buffs. Bards are a good focal point of that, virtually every 3box with the same class would benefit dramatically from replacing one of them with a bard. Stacking the same class was pretty strong when they added alliances (I did 3x berserker + war + brd + bst in this era, it was great), but alliances haven't kept up with mudflation.

Presuming perfect skills, good 3x combos include necros and beastlords, mostly because they are both really strong right now and are self-sufficient in terms of mana and ADPS.

If you're looking for an easy box, it'd just be really hard to beat shd / shm / brd. All three are just so strong. A case could be made for replacing the shd for a war, since wars are very easy to play and you could just auto-attack and switch to brd / shm.

Yeah, War would be pretty low-maintenance. Never played one or main tanked before either, it's always either SK or DPS.

War/Shm/Brd/Nec/Nec/Nec would be an interesting group. Just stick the tank on the mob and then unleash absolute hell with poison DoTs from the other five. Doubt much of anything will make it out of the first 20-30 seconds. SK would have an easier time holding aggro though, or even Ranger depending on how early-era we're talking.

3x of one DPS class might be subpar but I like the idea because it'd be easier to control via one numpad. Assuming that's doable without being auto-kicked by the anti-bot coding.

I'm getting the itch to try and play live again. I have a 110 group of Sk/shm/bard/zerker/rogue/druid. I really like the buffs that shm/clr/ranger/mage bring so was think of running that with the SK and the bard. Would the sk and bard be fine with those four or would I be better off with a war or pally tank?

Just stick with the SK. The only thing I might replace in that group is the Druid. Would switch it out for a Ranger, but only if you want to level a new addition to the group to begin with.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Anyone that can throw my ranger a little gear on Vaniki? Name is Nokcin.
Vaniki is a self service server. Sell a krono and buy yourself a kajillion hp/mana/etc tradeskill rec 105 items and go be a god for 80-90 levels.

Ecko

Trakanon Raider
3x of one DPS class might be subpar but I like the idea because it'd be easier to control via one numpad. Assuming that's doable without being auto-kicked by the anti-bot coding.
Think that is just a truebox thing, don't think it applies to Live so should be doable

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Are Personas an across-the-board thing (i.e. available on TLPs regardless of era, and presumably will be in at the start on new TLPs) or are they tied to Laurion's Song / live servers only?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Are Personas an across-the-board thing (i.e. available on TLPs regardless of era, and presumably will be in at the start on new TLPs) or are they tied to Laurion's Song / live servers only?
You have to buy the xpac, then they are available everywhere. Lowest xpac comes with 3. Total of 15 possible. Buy to unlock like merc slots.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You have to buy the xpac, then they are available everywhere. Lowest xpac comes with 3. Total of 15 possible. Buy to unlock like merc slots.

So 3 per character? That's cool, probably more than I'd actually use. Good to know I have to get the expansion times however many accts.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Marketing Dept at Daybreak / Darkpaw has lost their fucking minds..

A Fan event where tickets cost $1499 USD? For a 25+ year old game, and with literally no new games on the horizon?

EQ Fan Event

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users