Fallout Shelter android/iphone

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I know from my perspective as a 'hardcore' gamer who had never played a phone game before I played FOS 100% because I like the franchise and felt like I was missing out on not playing the latest game from it. After having played it and having switched midway through to my PC (using a mouse) I have even less interest in playing a game on my phone. The controls are too limiting to be enjoyable for me.

As for the F2P stuff, I don't care that much and view F2P as just being another hurdle in gaming. I didn't even mind buying a 5 pack of Mr. Handy's just because I view that as the 'entry cost' for liking the game. I only get annoyed when you have to pay $ for the best gear which is exactly what you have to do in FOS.

I didn't buy any lunch boxes, but I can't imagine the mindset of someone who does. The average return on them is terrible. I could see someone buying 20 of them, not getting a single good thing from them and throwing the game out after charging back their credit card.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
On the rare occassion I purchase a phone game's pay to win content, its solely because I've already sunk like 20 or more hours into a free game, and I just feel like the devs have entertained me enough to warrant tossing them a few bucks in recompense.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
There's an easy to replicate bug which you can use for getting legendaries easily. Basically you always get items around the same timestamp each hour when somebody is exploring, so you send one guy out and wait a few hours and you'll see he got an item at 0:21, 1:21, 2:21 etc.. so then you wait until 3:20, then immediately spam every one of your dudes out into the wasteland and then close the game. Wait 10 minutes then open it again and you will find most of the dudes got a legendary item because of how the game handles time.. When generating the item it calculates that the guys have been out in the wasteland for a negative amount of time which it looks like the game works out means the guy has been out for an incredibly long time. There's a video on youtube of a guy doing this trick a few times in a row and every single wasteland explorer got a legendary item this way.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
There's an easy to replicate bug which you can use for getting legendaries easily. Basically you always get items around the same timestamp each hour when somebody is exploring, so you send one guy out and wait a few hours and you'll see he got an item at 0:21, 1:21, 2:21 etc.. so then you wait until 3:20, then immediately spam every one of your dudes out into the wasteland and then close the game. Wait 10 minutes then open it again and you will find most of the dudes got a legendary item because of how the game handles time.. When generating the item it calculates that the guys have been out in the wasteland for a negative amount of time which it looks like the game works out means the guy has been out for an incredibly long time. There's a video on youtube of a guy doing this trick a few times in a row and every single wasteland explorer got a legendary item this way.
I'm not finding this to be the case with my guys. They find items at seemingly random different timestamps. Did they fix it?

Also do you only count the timestamps of actual items or caps too?

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
If there was an endgame, I'd care about the explorer limit. But there isn't. There's nothing to do once your Vault starts firing on all cylinders and all your dwellers are decked out in rare gear. I see all these players complaining about the new cap... but who gives a shit? There's nothing to do with all that shiny gear anyway.

This game desperately, desperately, dessssssssperately needs some sort of endgame content to legitimize continuing to play.

A couple of ideas:

1)Colonization- At any point, you can send a group of dwellers out into the Wasteland to "colonize" an area. These areas can be small and safe, or large and difficult to defend. Every area has different benefits; some might just provide your vault with a boost to basic production, but others might provide access to super-rare weapons or special vault upgrades, like a permanent reduction to Deathclaw invades. Your dwellers' ability to colonize an area depends on their training and gear. If your dwellers fail to colonize an area, they are perma-dead. They also cannot be recalled to the vault once an area is colonized.

2)Raids- Similar to Colonization, at any point, you can choose to send a group of dwellers into the Wasteland to attack specific Raid targets. These targets could be something as simple as a single monster, or as big as an entire town. Their success again is based on how well they are trained and how well they are geared. Dwellers who die during a raid are perma-dead. Rewards will scale based on difficulty, but will always involve raid-unique gear.

3)Crafting- Fallout is about surviving in the Wasteland through smart resource management. Instead of turning every single unused weapon into 10 caps, why not have a crafting system that allows you to salvage weapons for raw materials? There could be worthless, common, uncommon, rare, super-rare and legendary salvages, and the player can then turn those items into new weapons and armor.

Just a few ideas. I really hope Bethesda throws us a bone here, because I really do like Fallout Shelter, but I'm finding it harder and harder to log in when all I'm doing is shuffling around my training dwellers and collecting explorer's items.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Truthfully I forgot I had this game on my phone still, it has so little engaging content or anything to do.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I Lucky Patched it day one, opened 100 lunchboxes, then uninstalled it. Felt great knowing that I wouldn't be wasting any time on this awful game.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Got around to playing this the past week. It's an okay time waster, but like everyone else has said, it's one of those hurry up and wait games.

I am pretty proud of this, tho

rrr_img_126994.jpg

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Anyone playing this now ? They added crafting and quests, which have somewhat barebones tactical combat, so there is a bit more meat to it. It's still a lot of waiting, but I don't think I'm really penalized for checking in like twice a day instead of every five minutes. With max upgraded Overseer's room, you can only do 3 quests at once, and some take up to a day to both get there and back. The only annoyance is the game crashing quite often during the transition. I'm already finding some lego materials, but t3 crafting benches need like 80k caps, so that's the goal for now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anyone playing this now ? They added crafting and quests, which have somewhat barebones tactical combat, so there is a bit more meat to it. It's still a lot of waiting, but I don't think I'm really penalized for checking in like twice a day instead of every five minutes. With max upgraded Overseer's room, you can only do 3 quests at once, and some take up to a day to both get there and back. The only annoyance is the game crashing quite often during the transition. I'm already finding some lego materials, but t3 crafting benches need like 80k caps, so that's the goal for now.
Can you still only get super weapons from paying $$$$? I quit once I realized they nerfed it so you couldn't find top tier gear from exploring.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Can you still only get super weapons from paying $$$$? I quit once I realized they nerfed it so you couldn't find top tier gear from exploring.
You can get lego weapons from some quests, there's a weekly one that gives a lunchbox and I found one or two randomly, so I'm pretty sure the droprate is still low, but you can craft them now, even if the legendary junk seems to also be pretty scarce and the t3 crafting bench costs 80k caps. Still, a squad with 10 agi/per, some luck and endurance seems to stomp any quests I went on so far and if not, you can always spam stimpacks.