Fantasy Football 2014 Advice Thread!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You Rams fans.. is your D really that awful? They burnt me last week and I'm stuck deciding between them and 49ers again. I might just go 49ers with how bad the Rams did this week...

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You Rams fans.. is your D really that awful? They burnt me last week and I'm stuck deciding between them and 49ers again. I might just go 49ers with how bad the Rams did this week...
49ers D/ST could be down 2 starting CB's going against Marshall/Jeffery (in addition to being down their best LB and best pass rusher). Rams might not be as bad as the week 1 results, but that offense isn't going to do them any favors and even the best defenses will get burned given enough time on the field.

I would drop them both and just stream D/ST's off the waiver wire based on matchups. Streaming D/ST's can be a great strategy anyways.

I don't remember if this was last year or not, but the stat was floating around that if you just would have started the D/ST that was playing against the Jags you would have ended up with more points out of that spot than the #1 ranked defense (which was Chiefs last year). I know I ended up outscoring the rest of my league in the D/ST slot just by streaming. Can be detrimental if you have a steep price for roster moves however.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
49ers D/ST could be down 2 starting CB's going against Marshall/Jeffery (in addition to being down their best LB and best pass rusher). Rams might not be as bad as the week 1 results, but that offense isn't going to do them any favors and even the best defenses will get burned given enough time on the field.

I would drop them both and just stream D/ST's off the waiver wire based on matchups. Streaming D/ST's can be a great strategy anyways.

I don't remember if this was last year or not, but the stat was floating around that if you just would have started the D/ST that was playing against the Jags you would have ended up with more points out of that spot than the #1 ranked defense (which was Chiefs last year). I know I ended up outscoring the rest of my league in the D/ST slot just by streaming. Can be detrimental if you have a steep price for roster moves however.
If you can grab Houston this week I would, rookie QB and a lack of a running game against Texans defense is a fantasy match up dream come true, just like the Texans vs Washington was last week. Also I am a huge fan of the streaming technique, a lot of leagues people just ride the defense they pick and lose a lot of points not playing the match ups.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, unless you have a consistently top defense it's easier to just pick up a good match up d/st every week. There really are a ton of points there

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So there was a draft I picked 2nd in this year. My first 3 picks, at 2 - Jamaal Charles. At 19 - Doug Martin. At 22 - Andre Ellington. Combined fantasy points: Almost as much as Jeremy Maclin.

That's the definition of fantasy train wreck right there. Not going to be a good year for me.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Jamal Charles is likely much, much better than his showing on Sunday. He only had 11 touches.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doug Martin on the other hand gave you exactly what you should have expected. I feel bad that I didn't yell at people before they could draft him.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1 WR, 1 Flex

Roddy White
Frank Gore
Keenan Allen
Mike Wallace

Leaning towards White and Gore. Keenan Allen had Patrick Peterson up his dickhole all night and barely got targeted. On the bright side Richard Sherman this week doesn't shadow 1 guy, on the down side he's still playing Seattle. With other viable options I think he gets to ride the pine this week.

Wallace is tempting. I expect him to have a pretty decent bounceback season.

BUT there's guys I'm not really considering but maybe should...

Chris Johnson
Pierre Thomas(nope)

Or how about my 2nd QB slot(I told you it's a weird league). Cam Newton is supposed to play this week, but he's coming off an injury and facing Detroit and their bunch of QB killers. I'm kind of loathe to play Alex Smith again, especially on the road. Then again playing Denver gives good odds of it turning in to a shootout. I'm so torn this week...

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not giving up on Doug.. lol.. Well unless I can get a trade for him and upgrade. I guess I should work on that.

Keenan Allen had 10 targets. He disappointed me a bit but watching that game it felt like Rivers was just staying away from Peterson.

Are you Greenbay Spodermans in the fun league, Grim?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not giving up on Doug.. lol.. Well unless I can get a trade for him and upgrade. I guess I should work on that.

Keenan Allen had 10 targets. He disappointed me a bit but watching that game it felt like Rivers was just staying away from Peterson.

Are you Greenbay Spodermans in the fun league, Grim?
10 targets but they were pretty bad targets mostly. He'll be a sure play starting week 3. I got him pretty late in my league and was happy with the pick up. He just has tough match ups the first 2 weeks. SD has too many weapons for him to get a ton of focus these weeks.

My team in our league is Ratbirds and Ladypunchers.

As for an upgrade trade for Martin....you could maybe get a book of matches. It could help fix a wobbly table maybe.

If you can find a legit WR2 for him I'd jump all over that.

pablos

Lord Nagafen Raider
I picked up some free agents I think edelman is gonna be good with gronk back and cooks is gonna be good.

any other advice you all can give me? Its a 12 team league if that helps you all out any.
rrr_img_75930.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, it can't get any worse for him in regards to who he shadowing him. I'm probably going to start him again this week anyway. He's just one of those guys that can go off and I'm expecting San Diego to upset Seattle this week.

I might sit Doug Martin this week tho..

Edit..I'd leave your lineup as is this week Pablos. Tempting to make changes with Forsett and Cooks but the guys you have in are proven and should do well.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Brandin Cooks looks like he's going to be a steal. I got him FA in one of my leagues this week and am trying to decide where to plug him in. I want to put in a claim on him in my money league, but I'm not dropping AJ Green, Roddy White, Mike Wallace, or Keenan Allen for him. And I won the Josh Gordon scramble so he's eating up a slot I'm unwilling to lose=P

League has strict limits on total players per position, a rule I like even though it constantly bites me in the ass because I tend to load up on WR's.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
1 WR, 1 Flex

Roddy White
Frank Gore
Keenan Allen
Mike Wallace

Leaning towards White and Gore. Keenan Allen had Patrick Peterson up his dickhole all night and barely got targeted. On the bright side Richard Sherman this week doesn't shadow 1 guy, on the down side he's still playing Seattle. With other viable options I think he gets to ride the pine this week.

Wallace is tempting. I expect him to have a pretty decent bounceback season.

BUT there's guys I'm not really considering but maybe should...

Chris Johnson
Pierre Thomas(nope)

Or how about my 2nd QB slot(I told you it's a weird league). Cam Newton is supposed to play this week, but he's coming off an injury and facing Detroit and their bunch of QB killers. I'm kind of loathe to play Alex Smith again, especially on the road. Then again playing Denver gives good odds of it turning in to a shootout. I'm so torn this week...
Is your league PPR? PT Cruiser got me some serious bench point from all those receptions. I know the Saints RB situation is always fucked, but Thomas is probably the most reliable out of everyone there.

I think I'd go for Cam in that second QB slot. He's just so much better than Alex Smith it's worth the slight injury risk.