Fertilizer plant explodes in West, Texas

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If California is the Alberta of the United States, and Alberta is the Texas of Canada, doesn't that make Texas = California?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Texas and California are strikingly similar. Big states, warmer weather, have some coastline, most locations in the state are in the middle of nowhere. Practically the same state really.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The topic was more on the political side of things though, relative to the rest of the country in which the state/province resides. In which case either BC or Quebec would be the California equivalent. BC because it's full of hippy weirdos, or Quebec because it will be bankrupt sooner or later.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
It's actually the companies responsibility to provide local fire department with a list of all dangers at your plant in Texas, also, stop being a stereotyping piece of shit.
Well then at least it's just Texas companies that are negligent/criminally irresponsible and not (necessarily) the state government.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
rrr_img_22434.jpg

A bumper sticker I have seen around here.....definitely Texas North.

rrr_img_22434.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The topic was more on the political side of things though, relative to the rest of the country in which the state/province resides. In which case either BC or Quebec would be the California equivalent. BC because it's full of hippy weirdos, or Quebec because it will be bankrupt sooner or later.
I failed at sarcasm. Texas and California are nothing alike. I think I stated the only four similar attributes of both states.

I don't understand why California is so broke. We'd have the sixth largest economy in the world if we broke off and became our own country.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The political system there is completely broken, is why it's broke. California is a great example of how direct democracy doesn't work worth a shit.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
California is broke? Next year the state will have a22 million dollar surplus. The idea of a broke California is so 2008.

Of course, with garbage likethispassing the editor's desk, it's no wonder. I still lol at the whole idea of a Texas economic miracle, or at Californians who think they are somehow smarter or more sophisticated than people from Texas.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
California is broke? Next year the state will have a22 million dollar surplus. The idea of a broke California is so 2008.

Of course, with garbage likethispassing the editor's desk, it's no wonder. I still lol at the whole idea of a Texas economic miracle, or at Californians who think they are somehow smarter or more sophisticated than people from Texas.
It's a pretty recent turn around though, in the first article you linked it says we were 26 billion in the hole 3 years ago.

Caliel

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The article said the 22 million dollar surplus was the Governor's projection. The Legislative Analyst's Office projects the state will be facing a deficit of $1.9 billion.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That improvement in three years' time is still pretty damn impressive. I didn't know the state had made strides that great to get out of the red.

Caliel

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm sure the state did make some strides, but I would probably give most of the credit to the improving economy.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ya, I'm a Texan and while I do love it for the most part, I'll be the first to admit its got more than its share of Jim Jack, put a boot in yer' ass, book learnin' is for faggot-type morons down here. The politicians are mostly awful, they spend more time kissing baby Jesus' ass than doing the actual work of the people since the legislature only convenes every other year. But it's not all bad, the simple fact that Austin exists proves that. Texas will never be Oklahoma or Alabama levels of bad. Our state universities are well funded. The politicians have to pay lip service to the anti-science, church crowd, but they still funnel lots of money towards research.

Szlia

That improvement in three years' time is still pretty damn impressive. I didn't know the state had made strides that great to get out of the red.
I suspect it is related to how much of the state goes up in flames during the summer.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yeah don't get me wrong there are alot of morons in this state and most of which do not need to be running companies but the same could be said for almost anywhere on the globe.

Proving my point there is a oil plant equal distances from a residential area in Worcester, MA as there was in Texas. There is also a GIGANTIC Air Liquide facility in Martinez, CA that has many many tanks and they also have a few tanks right behind a few people's back yard, all it takes is one mistake or mechanical failure that ANYONE could make and you would have an equally horrible situation.

I just got finished with a class at work tonight since we will soon be running a Hydrogen plant in Columbus, OH and they showed us this video and talked about the dangers of automated valves not closing when the power company trips the plant. Shit is terrifying.