Final Fantasy 16

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
About the only thing I like from 8. Triple Triad was great. Queen's Blood is better, though.
I am jimmy rustled that people keep talking about that fucking card game as a reason FF8 is good

I love FF14. Play it all the time. I fucking hate the card game in FF14. It’s not a good thing, just like it wasn’t in FF8. It’s fucking stupid and always has been. You want to make a card game, make one. Trying to tie an RPG into it is gay.

ignoring that completely, FF8 is still AIDS. The story, theme, viewing angles, leveling concept, gear/junction/magic concept. All of it is jus terrible design from literally the ground up. Whomever made it should be executed.

I hate it so much I refuse to play without a walkthrough, which tells me im on disc 2. I am skipping every possible thing I can just to beat it, because apparently I’m so OCD or whatever I feel the need to say I’ve done it. I will never go back. Never recommend it. And, in honor of those I know, gouge the eyes out of anyone that plans to play it

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I am jimmy rustled that people keep talking about that fucking card game as a reason FF8 is good

I love FF14. Play it all the time. I fucking hate the card game in FF14. It’s not a good thing, just like it wasn’t in FF8. It’s fucking stupid and always has been. You want to make a card game, make one. Trying to tie and RPG into it is gay.

ignoring that completely, FF8 is still AIDS. The story, theme, viewing angles, leveling concept, gear/junction/magic concept. All of it is jus terrible design from literally the ground up. Whomever made it should be executed.

I hate it so much I refuse to play without a walkthrough, which tells me in on disc 2. I am skipping every possible thing I can just to beat it, because apparently I’m so OCD or whatever I feel the need to say I’ve done it. I will never go back. Never recommend it. And, in honor of those I know, gouge the eyes out of anyone that plans to play it

I'm jimmy rustled you quoted me as a person claiming 8 was "good". Card game being good isn't enough for a whole game to be good. When I literally state "about the only thing I liked from 8" that should be pretty fucking obvious, too. I've never liked 8, I've shit on it any time I talk about it. Triple Triad in 8 and 14 definitely don't feel/play the exact same, though admittedly I don't get too deep into it on XIV. There's far more rule sets in the XIV version, for instance.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Played the demo on steam and damn does it look good. It's fun so far but you guys have really swayed me into not buying it if the story falls off so much. I might pick it up when it goes on discount.
Story is demo quality for 80% of the game and gets better, there are slower parts with sidequests and worldbuilding though.

Last 20% is fine... just not to the bar they set. There is a boss fight where you think "holy fuck that's the best thing I've done in a game, how do they top this!?" and they don't.

FF16 is one of the worst final fantasy games. I mean the absolute worst is 15, but this one is second. It looks pretty but it's a shallow game.
I agree it's shallow but...

FF12 original version had the same great 80% average 20% thing, but for combat. It's story falls off much earlier and has a much worse ending.
Zodiac version is better just for the combat, but original is worse.

FF13 is awful through and through, what the fuck are you thinking?

FF15 I didn't play but hear bad things.

FF14 original and Dawntrail are awful.

FF11 was terrible unless you enjoy Everquest style mob camping which I didn't.

FF2 is literally broken.

FF8 is unplayable if you have autism but don't enjoy having autism.

It's Star Wars: The Force Awakens of Final Fantasy. It's washed off the unfnished mess stink of 12-15 and people will get excited for Final Fantasy again now, but the next one better be good or it's dead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think they need to just flat out go back and make a modern turn based RPG. 16 would have been better with some dynamic decision making mixed with turn based. 3 person party system. Include the Leviathan stuff out the gate and either fix the transition to high sci fi (feels really abrupt) or make a more grounded ending.

I've actually never played 12 although the PS4 "remake" or whatever is currently sitting on my shelf. I hate to admit, I agree with Chris overall though I would put all of 14 through shadowbringers near about where FF8/FF2/FF3/FF15 is so far. We'll see as I move into Endwalker if its redeemed. I have zero desire to play Dawntrail. Seems worse than stormblood and that was fucking awful. A shame really because I was looking for a reason to level up several classes and do the pure mmo part eventually. I just don't think I can stomach another talky bullshit. I honestly can't believe the primary quest in 16 was the same team. then you start doing some sidequests for upgrades, etc. and you're like "Ah! there it is!"

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Story is demo quality for 80% of the game and gets better, there are slower parts with sidequests and worldbuilding though.

Last 20% is fine... just not to the bar they set. There is a boss fight where you think "holy fuck that's the best thing I've done in a game, how do they top this!?" and they don't.

I agree it's shallow but...

FF12 original version had the same great 80% average 20% thing, but for combat. It's story falls off much earlier and has a much worse ending.
Zodiac version is better just for the combat, but original is worse.

FF13 is awful through and through, what the fuck are you thinking?

FF15 I didn't play but hear bad things.

FF14 original and Dawntrail are awful.

FF11 was terrible unless you enjoy Everquest style mob camping which I didn't.

FF2 is literally broken.

FF8 is unplayable if you have autism but don't enjoy having autism.

It's Star Wars: The Force Awakens of Final Fantasy. It's washed off the unfnished mess stink of 12-15 and people will get excited for Final Fantasy again now, but the next one better be good or it's dead.
To me 16 just isn't an RPG. It's devil may cry skinned in a FF setting.

The story was good but nothing else was redeeming.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

I believe, FF8 is the only "Anime School Kids Save The World" Trope Final Fantasy - so it generally has a weeb audience that aligns with that trope style enjoyment.

The only thing I give it, is the better use of blending the "real time 3d" characters into CGI movie backgrounds - 7 did it a few times, but I do not think you moved around your sprite/character while it was doing it- and I think...mostly because I threw the thing away, was used in the 1 battleground big scene in 8.

Chris

Potato del Grande
To me 16 just isn't an RPG. It's devil may cry skinned in a FF setting.

The story was good but nothing else was redeeming.
That's fair, there's a level of enjoyment from building your own character that the game totally neglects (as does FF14 by the same studio) and something like BG3 excells in.

A whole bunch of FF games have few too RPG elements to the point where it feels like the illusion of choice, common favourites FF4 and FF9 included.

That hurts in a series which contains FF5 which has D&D levels of multiclassing and they never properly followed up on.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
FF11 had the FF5 style multiclassing, although it was to the point that you gimped yourself if you didn’t pick the optimal combos

FF14 1.0 did it to a lesser degree, but the jettisoned most of that during the ARR era and the legacy stuff was almost completely expunged by the end of HW

Merrith

I find Remake/Rebirth's "action" combat vastly superior to 16's. It's definitely not turn based, but if they're going to go action based it's a good blend. Wouldn't mind a fully turn based FF again at some point, but I get the idea that isn't the direction they're going.

• 2Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Bring back turn based. Action combat sucks.
Depends on the series really. The real issue is that studios are too busy making new bad franchises and not bringing back previously successful games. How many times do i need to ask for Legends of Dragoon? We had plenty of successful turn-based RPGs way back when. I like new as much as the next but at some point, we need to reassess.

Grandia
Chrono
Xenogears (not saga because its not as good)
Breath of Fire
Legend of Legaia
Last Remnant(it had potential!)
Wild Arms
FF:Tactics
PE
Suikoden

Sure we have Octopath - which is a glorious series but there is alot of potential for some revivals.

Did i mention Xenogear? fuuuuuuuckin loved it

• 1Solidarity

Aazrael

Depends on the series really. The real issue is that studios are too busy making new bad franchises and not bringing back previously successful games. How many times do i need to ask for Legends of Dragoon? We had plenty of successful turn-based RPGs way back when. I like new as much as the next but at some point, we need to reassess.

Grandia
Chrono
Xenogears (not saga because its not as good)
Breath of Fire
Legend of Legaia
Last Remnant(it had potential!)
Wild Arms
FF:Tactics
PE
Suikoden

Sure we have Octopath - which is a glorious series but there is alot of potential for some revivals.

Did i mention Xenogear? fuuuuuuuckin loved it
If FF7 Remake had turn based I would have loved it as much as the original. But I quit after meeting Aerith in the Church. Have not touched Rebirth.

Yea Xenogears is something special. I still Google lore about that game years and years after playing it.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Bring back turn based. Action combat sucks.
Eh turn based is pretty fucking meh honestly. It's slow and boring and there is virtually zero skill to it whatsoever. I say this as someone who fucking loved games like Shining Force, Chrono Trigger and FFTactics. They were cool when I was like 8-15 but they are all the same exact shit. Secret of Mana and Zelda are some of the best RPG's of all time and they were mostly action combat.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Turn based stuff can be exciting - see stuff like X-Com 2 for example. It just has to be done right and in an engaged manner

Siliconemelons

The problem is gamers and devs think turn based is just old, and only a thing done “then” because the tech could not make a system like we have now such as the new FF games

• 1Like