Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why is this shit $100? I would give these old games a try but not for anywhere near that much.

Siliconemelons

Have you played the “odd” balls? Like 2 3 and 5? If not, its worth it for the exp and you get the solid 1 4 and 6… or if you just like them, then its still worth it imo

I got em on switch i am sure they go on sale elsewhere more oft

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The remaster we all needed.

Pfft, bunch of haters hiding the truth of how Sabin actually stopped the Phantom Train.

1716337143747.png

• 1Worf

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Have you played the “odd” balls? Like 2 3 and 5? If not, its worth it for the exp and you get the solid 1 4 and 6… or if you just like them, then its still worth it imo

I got em on switch i am sure they go on sale elsewhere more oft
No, the only FF game I played is 9. This was over 20 years ago. I have vague memories of it being okay but nothing remarkable.

Chrono Trigger was the only jrpg for me. Do these games come anywhere close to it?

Siliconemelons

CT is very different in story construction and gameplay.

FF are very traditional RPG esp this collection as its the first ones.

If you have not played them… I would say this would be a great exp to be able to play through them chronologically and haven’t played before.

2 has an odd system and 3 and 5 are class based… but they all hold value imo i enjoyed my replay of them all in order.

But i like traditional rpg / jrpg more so than modern

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
Ff6 is still my gold standard for jrpg. In terms of wide range of good characters. Lots of them. Big party. Wide gear choices pretty damn long story for the era, great music. Weird little secrets. Good stuff

• 1Solidarity

Needless

Toe Sucker
Doing all of that is a good way to get totally F'd by the endgame of FF8 when you're level 70 and not junctioned correctly. Like I did in 1999.

TBH the game would have been fine and not needed any of that micromanagement if they got rid of the level-scaling and made enemy growth more normal.
this is the reason why i stopped liking 8 later on, i loved everything about it growing up, except the fucking level scaling. Obviously if you abuse junctioning properly it doesnt really matter but i just hate games that do that on principle lol

I still need to play FF6, that's the one game that i have never finished outside of like 13-2+

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
6 can get pretty expansive in terms of choice, especially post floating island. After the world changes, the game gives you very little structured direction and tons is optional

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
this is the reason why i stopped liking 8 later on, i loved everything about it growing up, except the fucking level scaling. Obviously if you abuse junctioning properly it doesnt really matter but i just hate games that do that on principle lol

I still need to play FF6, that's the one game that i have never finished outside of like 13-2+

FF6 is the best game in the series, but it's also a product of its era, and people who didn't grow up in that era might not get as much out of it now.

FF13-2 is actually really good, and worth playing. Fixes most of 13's issues. However I'd wait for some kind of remaster at this point, PS3 is rough. Especially for a game that looked absolutely top-shelf in-era.

FF13-3 is okay too, but it's totally different. Basically Majora's Mask 2, with Lightning instead of Link and a similar battle system to the first two. Time resets every so often and there are four major areas, just like Majora. I liked it, some won't.

Haven't liked anything in the main series after that. World of Final Fantasy was a pretty neat spinoff that people should check out, though.

Goonsquad Officer
i've enjoyed and gotten something out of each of the FF games i've played (4,5,6,7,8,9, tactics). i kind of stopped at ff10 (couldn't get past the main character voice and style. i thought it was the culmination of the fruity anime femboy creeping into my vidya). though i hear it has a good story. then played 14.

I really miss the turn based aspect, and kind of came to grips with the fact that FF don't want to make tactical choices anymore. they want to make movie style action. so i'll just have to wait on dragon quest, and play triangle strat and other games in it's sphere.

Siliconemelons

1 is the first, should play it because

4 is classic as it is a very /classic/ in all sense of music, visuals, characters and "ehh overplayed trope!" but...well, thats like complaining about Tolkin using generic like fantasy elfs yo...ewww

5 is worth it if you like classes playing with min maxxing, using odd ball class combos to do stuff etc. 3 is similar but because it is older, more limited, so 5 is the better exp for /those/ type of players that want the class role fiesta type thing.

6 is to many, the prime and top of class of classic era JRPGs - if you play through 1-5, you will see how it all culminated in 6 in terms of the product they are producing, not the story, all the stories are separate.

Also, while not Final Fantasy, Lunar the Silver Star story is the classic of the classic anime jRPGs of the non FF-line. Everything about that game is just done so well. It is "such a generic trope!" but it all those tropes and classic things, done to the best and most well put together way. the PSX Complete version is the best imo.

Also, there is debate around about the best versions of the FF games, but the Pixle Remasters are the most accessible, and the best versions out side of small things - other than if you want to do the /full extended/ FF4 stuff, then the 3d version(s) are. To me the 3d version of 4, felt smaller of scale than the SNES one...merely because of perspective, the characters and voice in FF4 3ds are top notch and what they expanded is /some/ used in PR- but not fully, and if you are a fan of 4 in general and haven't, play the 3d one.

Goonsquad Officer
I also found phantasy star IV to be a great classic JRPG of that era. it and 6 are maybe my 2 favorate jrpg's, it has some jank but is pretty great and sega just completely shit on it as a JRPG (and IP) for decades.

Phantasy star IV, and shining force 1 and 2 are basically the good JRP's from sega genesis era. maybe sword of vermilion and uhhhh shit. forget the other. there arn't many. the sega side of the console war neglected its rpg's.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Is PSIV the one we did here in classic game of the month? I got further in that one than any PS ever, it was good - the way it played and felt reminded me of the BoFire of the era.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would definitely say play VI. It's the absolute best game of the pre Playstation era, basically takes everything good they did in the earlier 8 and 16 bit versions and takes it to the max it can be (even if I think they could have done a stronger 2nd half of the game narratively). I still like VII better overall and could hear arguments for X, but VI really is a masterpiece of its time where basically anyone who played RPG's back then would argue whether VI or Chrono Trigger was the best game of all time.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
They ran out of space on the cartridge of ff6. Some of the lines seem butchered because they made the script writer cut thousands of english characters to make it fit. Its a marvel it even came out like it is

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
they made the script writer cut thousands of english characters to make it fit
I had no fucking idea for years that the resurrection item was anything other than incoherent Japanglish. I think FF7 was the first time they spelled it Phoenix instead of Fenix and I finally realized that down was the bird feathers kind of down and not some kind of reference to the fact that your party member was "down".

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i've enjoyed and gotten something out of each of the FF games i've played (4,5,6,7,8,9, tactics). i kind of stopped at ff10 (couldn't get past the main character voice and style. i thought it was the culmination of the fruity anime femboy creeping into my vidya). though i hear it has a good story. then played 14.

I really miss the turn based aspect, and kind of came to grips with the fact that FF don't want to make tactical choices anymore. they want to make movie style action. so i'll just have to wait on dragon quest, and play triangle strat and other games in it's sphere.

Unfortunately Dragon Quest almost seems like it's in limbo. DQ12 and DQ3 Remake have both been in development for ages with no news. Given how short DQ3 is overall I thought they'd be done remaking like 1 through 4 by now (3 is the first one chronologically, so it kinda makes sense to do the others after it if they're going to continue the remakes). Yet nothing. DQ12 I imagine is much more substantial, but we haven't gotten so much as a screenshot of it. And DQ10 single-player version hasn't seen the light of day outside Japan with no plans to bring it over. I'm just completely perplexed at all things DQ right now.

Like A Dragon 2 and Eiyuden Chronicles both came out this year and are both strong RPGs. I haven't had time to do much with either though.