Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Good to know. Is 16 looking any good to you FF experts? I haven't tried one of the games with the full action combat yet but just the concept rustles my jimmies. Wondering if it will be worthwhile to try out.
I have not liked the full action FFs so it’s not really on my radar. The setting and graphics look great but the combat looks terrible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I have not liked the full action FFs so it’s not really on my radar. The setting and graphics look great but the combat looks terrible.

I agree. FF16 would be a day one buy for me if it were still using some kind of turn based or ATB combat system like FF1-10. I even liked 12 and 13's systems with the gambit type system. I liked 13 more than most, once you get used to it it plays quite well. The classes are basically command sets, not classes in the traditional sense.

15 is the action combat and it sucks. 7R is quite a bit better (can do a lot more with it) but I'd still vastly prefer the old style instead of whatever 16 is doing. Yakuza: Like A Dragon and DQ11 proved there is still a market for old school turn based type RPGs.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The only thing I remember about FF 13 was the entire first half of the game being on literal rails. What a terrible game.
Everyone says this but it isn't true.

The first 80% is on rails, then there is a non linear interconnected zone with nothing to do in it, then the last 10% is on rails.

Now... FFX is on rails and it's the best overall in the series IMO, but it's a pilgrimage and the tension of getting closer to your destination and what happens there is built up masterfully. FF13 I just want them all the fucking die.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
How anyone can be this big of a final fantasy fan, and have not played the greatest final fantasy ever made, let alone the best fantasy story in a video game ever, is amazing.

I figured it was FF14. I do really like all the story I've seen from it. Using FF Tactics material is especially cool.

I got it for PS4 on a sale with all expansions up to the current one. So it's on the list.

It had to compete with EQ (and sometimes WoW or LOTRO) for MMO time. Those aren't easy to dedicate real time to unless they're the only one you're playing.

But yeah I intend to play through those last four things. Except FF11 which is probably something I'll spend like one day checking out (before giving up due to lack of group). I'm probably just saving FF14 for last.

I've been trying to decide if I should finally take a look at 13 and/or 15, and maybe 16 when it comes out. I've been enjoying the discourse in this thread to help inform me, but this is annoying.

People hate FF13 but your mileage may vary. I like it and I know a few other people who like it a lot. The endgame can turn into a really fun open world trophy hunt if you let it, definitely the high point of the game. Wouldn't say there's "nothing to do". I'd wait until they release an HD trilogy though. Surprised they didn't yet. FF13 looked absolutely cutting edge and amazing in 2010. Now it'll be a mediocre-looking PS3 game. It gains a lot from looking amazing. So yeah, I hope they do an HD version soon. It's the only mainline 1P FF game missing from the PS4/5 so it would make sense.

Rajaah Rajaah this IMO is the best trailer/opening cinematic of all time, please watch it and tell us what you think.

Some of the stuf will go over your head but the fight scene is amazing and that's Crystal Tower at the end.

I like the FF3 music playing during the Crystal Tower part. Yeah that was pretty cool.

#1 thing I always wanted from the FF series in the 90's was for someone to definitively connect the games / have them in the same world or universe*, and I think FF14 does that. #2 thing I wanted was an online MMO FF. So yeah I'd be doing flips for this if it were 1998 or so. Definitely looking forward to it. Way I see it, it's like LOTRO, the longer I wait to finally get on it, the more of it will be done since it's an ongoing thing.

I also like that they've kept the whole FF14 saga relevant over time rather than insta-obsoleting old parts as new expansions come out the way WoW does. Or having them not be obsolete, but still difficult to go back to out of era, like EQ.

* - There were some half-ass attempts to link the FFs in the same universe. Like Dissidia (which I don't consider canon) and Stranger of Paradise (which chickens out at the last minute with linking FF1 to the other early ones, and is based in Dissidia universe instead). Only reasonably decent attempt was FF4 After Years with the final dungeon having all these foes pulled in from other worlds, implying the Creator and his engineer species had created all the other FF worlds as well. However they never followed up on this, and FF4 After Years 3D outright removes most of this from the game to make it a straight FF4 world game, so...yeah.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I figured it was FF14. I do really like all the story I've seen from it. Using FF Tactics material is especially cool.

I got it for PS4 on a sale with all expansions up to the current one. So it's on the list.

It had to compete with EQ (and sometimes WoW or LOTRO) for MMO time. Those aren't easy to dedicate real time to unless they're the only one you're playing.

But yeah I intend to play through those last four things. Except FF11 which is probably something I'll spend like one day checking out (before giving up due to lack of group). I'm probably just saving FF14 for last.

People hate FF13 but your mileage may vary. I like it and I know a few other people who like it a lot. The endgame can turn into a really fun open world trophy hunt if you let it, definitely the high point of the game. Wouldn't say there's "nothing to do". I'd wait until they release an HD trilogy though. Surprised they didn't yet. FF13 looked absolutely cutting edge and amazing in 2010. Now it'll be a mediocre-looking PS3 game. It gains a lot from looking amazing. So yeah, I hope they do an HD version soon. It's the only mainline 1P FF game missing from the PS4/5 so it would make sense.

I like the FF3 music playing during the Crystal Tower part. Yeah that was pretty cool.

#1 thing I always wanted from the FF series in the 90's was for someone to definitively connect the games / have them in the same world or universe*, and I think FF14 does that. #2 thing I wanted was an online MMO FF. So yeah I'd be doing flips for this if it were 1998 or so. Definitely looking forward to it. Way I see it, it's like LOTRO, the longer I wait to finally get on it, the more of it will be done since it's an ongoing thing.

I also like that they've kept the whole FF14 saga relevant over time rather than insta-obsoleting old parts as new expansions come out the way WoW does. Or having them not be obsolete, but still difficult to go back to out of era, like EQ.

* - There were some half-ass attempts to link the FFs in the same universe. Like Dissidia (which I don't consider canon) and Stranger of Paradise (which chickens out at the last minute with linking FF1 to the other early ones, and is based in Dissidia universe instead). Only reasonably decent attempt was FF4 After Years with the final dungeon having all these foes pulled in from other worlds, implying the Creator and his engineer species had created all the other FF worlds as well. However they never followed up on this, and FF4 After Years 3D outright removes most of this from the game to make it a straight FF4 world game, so...yeah.
I read recently that the 13 pc port looks really good with mods that fix the resolution. Its graphics were damn good at the time and still hold up. I enjoyed the combat in 13 even though it was weird. The hallway game design really sucked. The characters were extremely annoying and forgettable. I looked up the cast a few days ago and only remember lightning and two characters I hated. The others I had no memory of whatsoever. The story and ending were also trash, I remember being pissed off at the ending.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Out of the four FFs that are left, I have FF14 on PS4, Crystal Chronicles HD on PS4, and FF4 After Years 3D on phone.

What's the best way to play FF11 at this point? Or at least just check it out? I'm assuming PC and probably an emulator server type deal?

I read recently that the 13 pc port looks really good with mods that fix the resolution. Its graphics were damn good at the time and still hold up. I enjoyed the combat in 13 even though it was weird. The hallway game design really sucked. The characters were extremely annoying and forgettable. I looked up the cast a few days ago and only remember lightning and two characters I hated. The others I had no memory of whatsoever. The story and ending were also trash, I remember being pissed off at the ending.

FF13 on PS3 had the best visuals I'd seen in a console game up to that point (2010). I mean I was totally blown away by it. Then IIRC FF13-2 actually looked better somehow. I think they were among the ultra-rare 1080p PS3 games that tended to look a level beyond most of the system's games. 13-3 I don't remember being blown away by the visuals of, maybe I was just used to it by then or maybe the environments in that one are a little less colorful/detailed and conducive to high-res.

FF13's cast does kinda suck, the hallway does kinda suck, the story sucks. I played it for the gameplay (getting the plat is much more fun than just playing the main story) and just kinda made up my own ideas about what was going on in the game world. Like I decided Oerba was a far-future post-apocalyptic Earthlike place that had been reclaimed by the sand dunes. Good music in that place BTW:

At the end of the video you can kind of see how it has a "future Earth buried in sand" thing going on. One of the most atmospheric places in the whole FF series and still makes me feel something.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Out of the four FFs that are left, I have FF14 on PS4, Crystal Chronicles HD on PS4, and FF4 After Years 3D on phone.

What's the best way to play FF11 at this point? Or at least just check it out? I'm assuming PC and probably an emulator server type deal?

FF13 on PS3 had the best visuals I'd seen in a console game up to that point (2010). I mean I was totally blown away by it. Then IIRC FF13-2 actually looked better somehow. I think they were among the ultra-rare 1080p PS3 games that tended to look a level beyond most of the system's games. 13-3 I don't remember being blown away by the visuals of, maybe I was just used to it by then or maybe the environments in that one are a little less colorful/detailed and conducive to high-res.

FF13's cast does kinda suck, the hallway does kinda suck, the story sucks. I played it for the gameplay (getting the plat is much more fun than just playing the main story) and just kinda made up my own ideas about what was going on in the game world. Like I decided Oerba was a far-future post-apocalyptic Earthlike place that had been reclaimed by the sand dunes. Good music in that place BTW:

At the end of the video you can kind of see how it has a "future Earth buried in sand" thing going on. One of the most atmospheric places in the whole FF series and still makes me feel something.
The best way to check out ff11 is probably YouTube tbh. It has a fucking horrible UI and is a slower paced game, so I don’t think you would get much out of just logging in and playing for a few hours, or even a few days. The story portions of it takes a ton of effort and time. It was fun at the time, I really enjoyed it and miss parts of it…but do not miss other parts of it at all.

I haven’t played ff14 but have followed it over the years and I’m kind of surprised you haven’t played it. It ties in tons of FF lore into a giant storyline.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Took a stab at getting an Onion Sword in Game 2 and the Red Dragons are just too tedious to fight to the extent I'd need to do to get two. Maybe one for Kain to help him hit 99999 on Proto Babil, but I think he might be able to do that with the Holy Lance as well if I make sure to max out his Str on level-ups. Think I'm over the farming, as relaxing as it was at first. I got 2x Onion Shield and 5x Adamant Armor. Might try to get extra Ribbons from Bahamut Cave mobs in Game 3 since I'll have to grind to 99 anyway, and maybe try Red Dragons again after I get that done? Unsure, depends on whether Kain can hit 99999 on Proto-Babil without an Onion Sword. All I know is I'm not doing any more grinding than I absolutely have to, have officially reached "wrap this up" territory with this project. No BIS gear sets for me. This weekend I'll likely try and finish this off.

I'll report back when I beat Proto-Babil, if I beat it. Expecting a battle for the ages after all of this.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just saved the earth crystal in ff4. i completely gave up on the 100% crap and I’m just enjoying the game, though of course I explore for all of the chests.
not sure if it’s just early game or what but some questions/frustrations….

• It seems spells kinda suck. Normal fire does maybe 25dmg but firea does like 1k, but takes 30 of my 90 mana
  • the fucking pourcipine things needle me for over 250-300 hp when I hit them, so just trying to farm or get through shit sucks ass
  • leveling, at least at the moment doesn’t seem to make me much stronger like in other ff games. I just have more hp but take the same beating :(
  • bosses are easy so far if I save all my mana during the dungeon crawl to use the fira/mega spells. Then I can instagib it’s the normal mobs that suck
  • the OP bard from ff3 now sucks ass. His heal uses a potion so does dick

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just saved the earth crystal in ff4. i completely gave up on the 100% crap and I’m just enjoying the game, though of course I explore for all of the chests.
not sure if it’s just early game or what but some questions/frustrations….

• It seems spells kinda suck. Normal fire does maybe 25dmg but firea does like 1k, but takes 30 of my 90 mana
  • the fucking pourcipine things needle me for over 250-300 hp when I hit them, so just trying to farm or get through shit sucks ass
  • leveling, at least at the moment doesn’t seem to make me much stronger like in other ff games. I just have more hp but take the same beating :(
  • bosses are easy so far if I save all my mana during the dungeon crawl to use the fira/mega spells. Then I can instagib it’s the normal mobs that suck
  • the OP bard from ff3 now sucks ass. His heal uses a potion so does dick

FF4 is super counter-heavy. Enemies counter stuff constantly. It's actually kinda ridiculous but I guess it necessitates using more strategy which is good.

Grinded level 60-70ish fighting the Ribbon-dropping mob, nothing, gave up on that. Switched to Red Dragon as soon as I could reliably autobattle it (72 or so) and grinding that to 99 probably. Would be great to get one Onion Sword for Proto-Babil.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
all the ff13 trashing made me remember an old FF16 meme

raitoningu.png

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Rajaah you should put that old rpg grind time into learning about gas turbines or something technical, maybe even computer science. You would go straight to the top of that profession.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Rajaah you should put that old rpg grind time into learning about gas turbines or something technical, maybe even computer science. You would go straight to the top of that profession.

I could actually do both because the grinding takes almost no input from me. Yesterday I did it while I finished a book I've been reading on and off for a while, the George Carlin collection "3x Carlin: An Orgy of George" which I HIGHLY recommend.

Level 85ish, one Crystal Ring, zero Red Tails. Dammit. I just need one Red Tail and level 99, a second Red Tail and two more Crystal Rings would be the optimal scenario. Then I'm hauling over to the superboss. Hopefully my lack of farming Ribbons doesn't end up being a problem.

You're right though that if I reinvested all my RPG/EQ time over the years into literally anything that interests me, I'd probably be a Master++ at that trade/profession. Probably true of a lot of people here. Kind of depressing when you think about it