Final Fantasy VII Remake

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's hilarious to just walk around some of the open areas and listen to all the convos regular townspeople have.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rude

Potato del Grande
I'm loving the combat. Especially when I compare it to how bland XV's was. But I understand the want for the tried and true turn based.
FF15's combat was holding a button. It was garbage. Combat definitely made me jump off board too though, admittedly. Regardless they've made enough story changes that I have absolutely no interest in the product. I would have loved a release of the original with modern graphics, I can do without the re-imagining of the game itself.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
So far this is really good. There's a great remix of the Corel theme that plays on the train, and I've heard a couple of other tracks pop up "before their time" too. My only issue so far is that the enemies are damage sponges on normal, so fights drag on. I'm probably doing something wrong.
Assess usually gives you tips on what to do to pressure/stagger enemies for more damage.

Magic is a big one early on, especially the weakness element. Blocking/Counter Attacking or Dodgeing then attacking from behind are other triggers.

I literally just learned after finishing the game that you can increase the stagger damage bonus with Tifa's triangle moves. Usually its 160% damage but you can get it up to 300%, which means hitting your Limit Breaks during stagger will be that much better.

Regardless they've made enough story changes that I have absolutely no interest in the product. I would have loved a release of the original with modern graphics, I can do without the re-imagining of the game itself.
It's really not that much. Everything in the original happens in the remake.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
20200410_142544.jpg

My body is maybe ready~

I'm almost literally scared to pop it in and play it. Not trying to be dramatic, you guys gotta understand that I was the little geek who bought a 2nd copy of FF7 back then just to preserve an unblemished, unopened copy for posterity because I thought the game was that good. (which, btw, is worth over $1,000 now for a copy LoL!) I was completely gaga over FF7 and now that I'm 41 and have a PS4 and this is actually out now and looks this incredible, I just... I'm freaking out.

I've been trying to avoid this thread due to (potential) spoilers for weeks now.

Here's that unopened 1997 FF7 copy in acrylic btw! So sex~

20200410_144545.jpg

• 9Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 11 users

Merrith

FF15's combat was holding a button. It was garbage. Combat definitely made me jump off board too though, admittedly. Regardless they've made enough story changes that I have absolutely no interest in the product. I would have loved a release of the original with modern graphics, I can do without the re-imagining of the game itself.

Yeah I don't know if they meant to do more with XV's combat and it just was cut, but it was shit. I heard they kind of made magic better in one of the DLC's but never saw/tried it to know. Still trying to avoid spoilers and haven't run into many changes yet, mostly just additions. We'll see how I feel after I finish, although I can understand completely those that just wanted the original story intact without any actual changes.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The people complaining about combat in this sound like the people that couldn't hang with mythic wow raiding

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Picard
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's hilarious to just walk around some of the open areas and listen to all the convos regular townspeople have.

Yeah, I'm really digging that. They often have interesting things to say too. Makes the world feel alive and real.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 261613

My body is maybe ready~

I'm almost literally scared to pop it in and play it. Not trying to be dramatic, you guys gotta understand that I was the little geek who bought a 2nd copy of FF7 back then just to preserve an unblemished, unopened copy for posterity because I thought the game was that good. (which, btw, is worth over $1,000 now for a copy LoL!) I was completely gaga over FF7 and now that I'm 41 and have a PS4 and this is actually out now and looks this incredible, I just... I'm freaking out.

I've been trying to avoid this thread due to (potential) spoilers for weeks now.

Here's that unopened 1997 FF7 copy in acrylic btw! So sex~

View attachment 261625

Yeah, regardless of whatever problems this remake may or may not have, in the end, it's all worth it just to be able to walk around these environments in 3D and actually LOOK UP, seeing things that previously only existed in the imagination for the past 23 years.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Blown

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The people complaining about combat in this sound like the people that couldn't hang with mythic wow raiding

It wasn’t that it was challenging, if that’s what Mythic wow raiding was, I just didn’t care for it. I play action games all the time, including difficult souls style, this just wasn’t good for me. Watching bars, swapping back and forth between characters, trying to not get interrupted when there wasn’t very good animation cues. It felt like an action game that half assed it or made it overly complicated just for the hell of it. The mechanics of it aren’t good imo.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's the verdict on 100%ing sidequests? Do them all as you play the first time for the EXP benefit, or just check them off when you re-do everything in Hard Mode?

I'm making sure to level two Healing materia, as was suggested earlier.

Chris

Potato del Grande
What's the verdict on 100%ing sidequests? Do them all as you play the first time for the EXP benefit, or just check them off when you re-do everything in Hard Mode?

A bunch of them have good rewards so do as many as you can tolerate. One I didn't do apparently gives a second elemental materia which is a fantastic reward.

Not sure if you need to 100% chapters in hard mode to get the rewards for doing them (extra weapon ability points I belive).

Merrith

I don't see why you would skip them, aside from the exp/etc, most of the better item rewards seem to come from them. Saves you money buying a lot of extra materia/equipment.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Very meta lol:

• 1Like

Araxen

Sorry, mashing the "X" button gets old after the millionth time after only the second fight.

• 5Like

Merrith

Yeah, you mash square button a bit for ATB, but then it's all about making good choices (aside from basic enemies that you just wreck in one ability or just from a square button combo).

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
*Gameplay captured on PC

At the end of the video it says play first on PS4 until 4/10/21, so in case it wasn't already obvious it seems like its confirmed only exclusive for a year. Downloading now, but I almost wish I waited for the PC port. Haven't played a console game since I built my PC 2 years ago, I assume that's why the demo fps was so jarring for me and turning the camera felt wonky. Still stoked to get into this over the weekend, but damn FFXV was so smooth and sexy on PC. I want the port now, exclusivity sucks.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Huh, can I hit level cap like that one guy who did it in the newbie area playing original FF7?

• 1Like