Final Fantasy VII Remake

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Be careful of spoiler stuff if looking at any sort of video regarding Rebirth (or creators known for FF7 for that matter) on youtube. The recommended section has people trying to spoil by showing the last fights and enemies in thumbnails. Was just looking at Maximillians channel, and the recommended tab to the right of the video had tons of them. Showed some reviews, trailers, then right in the middle "the last boss fight!" with the thumbnail being at what I assume is the middle of the fight. I am not logged in, and on a VPN, so think the criteria for showing it was just that Max does a lot of FF7 stuff.

Yeah I keep seeing that same "last boss fight" thumbnail video popping up. So annoying. Then again at least the picture doesn't give much away except who it is. Probably gonna have to just avoid the FF7 side of YouTube.

That one guy who posted that final boss video should be shot. Probably a Gamestop employee who snuck the game home a week ago when the shipments arrived and has been playing it offline all week.

I had this thought, too. Seems way too good to be true.

I think you're both right, Chadley's a Hojo spy whether he knows it or not. Like the android in Terminator Salvation. We'll find out in Part 3 prolly.

He's creepy and annoying but he has a lot of interesting things to do. I like the (essentially) optional superboss fights with the summons. If you try them without finding any of their "Intel points" they're incredibly tough. I fought un-nerfed Titan for a good ten minutes and had a ball, until it was clear I had no chance of winning and was headed to a slow attrition loss due to not being able to use items. Might try it again later at higher levels, or might go find the 3 Intel points like you're supposed to to make it into a more normal boss. Very cool either way. I've got Titan and the next one (Junon area) unlocked so far, as far as summon uberbosses go.

The Leviathan and Ramuh summons are both super useful and definitely a leg-up for playing the first one. Ramah is particularly dominant against elemental weaknesses (Lightning was way too good in the first one too) while Leviathan just feels like something you aren't supposed to have yet.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So wait a minute. If I'm understanding this right...

Plot twist, it turns out Shinra was drumming up anti-Wutai sentiment because they quietly reached an agreement with Wutai's Viceroy to have a new war, only this time it'd be managed by them 1984-style where neither side ever actually won. This would then fix Shinra's unpopularity with their people via patriotic fervor, and fix Wutai's failing economy via war production.

But then Rufus gets in and decides it's a bad plan and they need to focus on the Promised Land instead. Wutai's mysterious leader isn't happy that the fabricated new war-to-be is cancelled and is urging Rufus to reconsider. Very interesting tweests. I assume Yuffie isn't aware of any of this. So both governments are evil, I didn't have that on my bingo card.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think you're both right, Chadley's a Hojo spy whether he knows it or not. Like the android in Terminator Salvation. We'll find out in Part 3 prolly.

He's creepy and annoying but he has a lot of interesting things to do. I like the (essentially) optional superboss fights with the summons. If you try them without finding any of their "Intel points" they're incredibly tough. I fought un-nerfed Titan for a good ten minutes and had a ball, until it was clear I had no chance of winning and was headed to a slow attrition loss due to not being able to use items. Might try it again later at higher levels, or might go find the 3 Intel points like you're supposed to to make it into a more normal boss. Very cool either way. I've got Titan and the next one (Junon area) unlocked so far, as far as summon uberbosses go.

The Leviathan and Ramuh summons are both super useful and definitely a leg-up for playing the first one. Ramah is particularly dominant against elemental weaknesses (Lightning was way too good in the first one too) while Leviathan just feels like something you aren't supposed to have yet.

Honestly the intel spots are very quick/easy to unlock, and they give you the option to fight 4 different versions of it regardless of how many you unlocked (basically levels of nerfing). Also each one powers up the actual materia you get, unlocking later abilities for the summoned monster...so there's no reason not to do the intel spots.

I actually haven't used a summon myself yet.

Chris

Potato del Grande
That first sword upgrade being 3k while you only have 2k was the bane of my existence for a little while. Ended up getting the card boosters and Steal instead, then when I got 3k a couple hours later I went back and got the sword. They kinda dangle it in front of you at the beginning.

Or just loot it for free from the chest at the Swamp dock the game directs you to ( :

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

The 2nd weapon for all five characters are spread out amongst Chapter 2 and 3. If you didn't explore the swamp on chocobos you would miss the 3rd until you finished the Grasslands, then the 4th & 5th are in Chapter 3. But the weapon shop tutorial at the beginning stated straight up you can't miss them they would be available from a vendor for gil even if you skipped a purple chest.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Beat the first boss, really like how they embellished that moment. 5 hours in lol.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So...when can I kick Cloud out of the party and run with Tifa in the lead? They said you could reconfigure the party any way you wanted, but even if I change leaders, Cloud still takes point on the overworld. Wtf. Also can't remove him from the group.

He's a lot more likeable than the first game but I still consider him the worst character. Barret and the women (and even Red) are so much better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Lenas

Trump's Staff
They said you could reconfigure the party any way you wanted, but even if I change leaders, Cloud still takes point on the overworld. Wtf. Also can't remove him from the group.

"While you will still run around the world as Cloud (or occasionally other characters depending on context), as soon as a fight begins, you will take control of whomever you have selected to be the leader."

spronk

FPS noob
if you're on the fence 100% go download the demo and play, its fairly short - about 3 hours for the 5 years ago "tutorial", then another ?? for the second overworld part they added recently. Its totally worth getting into the second part since thats basically what the real game is like, I played 2 hours of it and was just giggling the entire time, happy to be back with this great set of characters and very cool world. why the fuck can't western devs make games with chars like aerith, tifa, and barrett anymore? (yeah i know the answer too)

that said i read the game is 150-200 hours to platinum and i just don't have the time for that right now so gonna wait, i didn't love the graphics mode either and had some slowdowns and stuff just in the demo. I've heard performance mode isn't super great visually but couldn't really tell. With rumors of Ps5 Pro this year and a port of this game to PC next year at the latest, a little waiting isn't really gonna hurt and I'd rather flow from this to the final part 3 than wait another 4 years in between games.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
i didn't love the graphics mode either and had some slowdowns and stuff just in the demo. I've heard performance mode isn't super great visually but couldn't really tell.

Guess I'm getting old, from my couch I can't really tell a difference in fidelity but I can definitely feel the FPS difference. Performance mode has been fine IMO.

• 1Like

Merrith

I must be old, too, running it in Graphics Mode and everything looks pretty damn nice. I can notice a little difference during combat from performance mode, but otherwise that shit doesn't affect anything I do.

Chris

Potato del Grande
As scared as I was of then ruining the feel of the game after Midgar was a bit off... they nailed Chocobo Ranch, Mithril Mines and Under Junon. Felt just like the original. Excited to see the rest now.

Merrith

As scared as I was of then ruining the feel of the game after Midgar was a bit off... they nailed Chocobo Ranch, Mithril Mines and Under Junon. Felt just like the original. Excited to see the rest now.

It's been essentially perfect so far, and I'm basically as far in as you are. I liked how Midgar was, just wish there was a little more freedom of movement and less fetch sidequests. Seems like they listened to a lot of the feedback from Remake and have improved basically everything for this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

They still have easy mode and “fake” rpg battle wait mode that’s not really wait mode ?

Easy mode exists, I think there is a "classic" mode that is whatever the "forever turn based only" people thought was fake wait mode, but can't recall. They also added a dynamic difficulty mode which supposedly adjusts to the player.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So I started that today, just 5 hours in playing very slowly and enjoying the game so far.

Lots of exposition in chapter 1 but it does set the stage nicely.

Open world is pretty nice but as most FF games navigating the terrain is never the smoothest. You never know when that little ledge will block you or allow you to climb it. For me it makes navigating the world a bit annoying, it’s not awful but it could be smoother and experience.

Cloud, Aerith and Tifa is my go to party. I don’t really like the dog. I like Barret for some fights with airborne ennemies as they are easier to hit with him.

It looks very promising and looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

Merrith

Honestly found very quickly in Grasslands which ledges were climbable/able to jump down from and which were going to be too high for either. Obviously there's some spots on the map that don't make it super obvious sometimes which way you have to go, but figured that's just part of exploring. Honestly I wish there were more slightly more hidden things with tougher puzzles to figure out to get to them. 2nd area sees a little more of this, though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Easy mode exists, I think there is a "classic" mode that is whatever the "forever turn based only" people thought was fake wait mode, but can't recall. They also added a dynamic difficulty mode which supposedly adjusts to the player.

Anyone try Dynamic mode?

Honestly found very quickly in Grasslands which ledges were climbable/able to jump down from and which were going to be too high for either. Obviously there's some spots on the map that don't make it super obvious sometimes which way you have to go, but figured that's just part of exploring. Honestly I wish there were more slightly more hidden things with tougher puzzles to figure out to get to them. 2nd area sees a little more of this, though.

I'm in the third "world" and for now I can't go back to the first two. Regret not finding the 3 summon stones in each area or getting Chadley's materia sets (which are different in each area). So bear that in mind. I'm still trying to balance story progress and actually getting the most out of these areas.

Latest story progression trophy I got had 4% completion rate, so I've broken ahead of the mainstream (probably because most people are getting a lot more out of the first two areas). Think I'll leave most of the optional stuff for a second / plat run.

I must be old, too, running it in Graphics Mode and everything looks pretty damn nice. I can notice a little difference during combat from performance mode, but otherwise that shit doesn't affect anything I do.

I went graphics all the way, been missing 60 FPS but I like the light effects in graphics mode too much to switch it.

"While you will still run around the world as Cloud (or occasionally other characters depending on context), as soon as a fight begins, you will take control of whomever you have selected to be the leader."

I was under the impression you could form a party without Cloud in it and run around as a different character. Neither seem to be the case. Only real change is that you can make another character "leader" and it auto-switches to them when battle starts, saving you one button press to switch to them. Kinda lame. Maybe later on it'll let me form the party I want.