Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I bought the skip at 43. There's plenty to do without the MSQ. Duties, Fates, Dungeons. I probably would have been 50 by now if I didn't find player housing neighborhoods. Some people are insane.

Meh, I REALLY don't care if people skip it, it's just me ribbing people. I do find it silly because if you are buying a game, it seems silly to pay to skip the game. To me, I find it akin to buying into The Witcher and then paying again to skip everything and only see the outcomes of the main story quests.

To each their own though, I mean I spent a decade+ in games like EQ1, WoW and the like.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You really cant compare the quality of story and quest lines in Witcher to fetch bear ass bullshit you have to do with 25-30 hours in ARR.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
You really cant compare the quality of story and quest lines in Witcher to fetch bear ass bullshit you have to do with 25-30 hours in ARR.

bear ass quests aside, I thought the ARR quest stories were pretty well done but there is a TON of bear ass you gotta harvest.

You can't even compare it to another MMO because no other MMO has the depth that the MSQ of FFXIV has, MAYBE Guild Wars 2, but thats a HARD maybe.

Fucker

Log Wizard

And constant warping around to see one person then warping back then escaping through endless cutscenes. But yes, skipping 100 arr msq's is totally skipping the entire game omg.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
bear ass quests aside, I thought the ARR quest stories were pretty well done but there is a TON of bear ass you gotta harvest.

You can't even compare it to another MMO because no other MMO has the depth that the MSQ of FFXIV has, MAYBE Guild Wars 2, but thats a HARD maybe.
It just got tedious, I was literally warping from place to place to watch more cut scenes or to run outside the gate for 5 minutes and run back for more cut scenes. Shit was silly.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And constant warping around to see one person then warping back then escaping through endless cutscenes. But yes, skipping 100 arr msq's is totally skipping the entire game omg.

I mean, if you're escaping through the cutscenes, you're really missing a lot of MSQ and can't comment on it. Although if I was going to pick times to do it, would be ARR stuff between like 2.1 and 2.4 (give or take, it's been awhile).

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Finished watching the ARR cut scenes. Quiet a climax.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The dilemma now is which class to take to cap. Have bard, white mage and red mage at mid 60s.

Also what the fuck do I do with silver chocobo feathers?

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Find a NPC called Calamity Salvager (located in the main cities). You can trade in the feathers for gear/weapons. The silver feathers are mostly intended as a catchup currency to get you a leg up on some gear.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Find a NPC called Calamity Salvager (located in the main cities). You can trade in the feathers for gear/weapons. The silver feathers are mostly intended as a catchup currency to get you a leg up on some gear.
Should I save them for 70? Or use them at 60 gear?

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The dilemma now is which class to take to cap. Have bard, white mage and red mage at mid 60s.

Also what the fuck do I do with silver chocobo feathers?

I'd personally choose Whm out of those three. Signficantly faster party invites (Healer vs Dps) and pretty much unkillable for any solo quest content. Rdm is too but probably a bit too much of a learning curve for a returning player whereas Whm leans a little too far in the other direction.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
It just got tedious, I was literally warping from place to place to watch more cut scenes or to run outside the gate for 5 minutes and run back for more cut scenes. Shit was silly.

I am 52, and the whole game got tedious. I am in Heavensward or whatever the fuck they call it. The MSQ split off into two parts. Holy Fucking Christ. DOUBLE the tedium of ARR MSQ and traveling is a pain in the nuts now, so triple the tedium.

The biggest crime is that my character at 52 is less powerful than it was at LEVEL 1....I just have a lot more buttons to push in order to be a whole lot less effective.

Also, christ on a cross, but this game has a poor implementation of 90's gfx tech. I was hoping Heavensward would look better than ARR, but it is worse. They removed all the lighting and set contrast to 2.

I'll try it for another hour, but it looks like the game is headed for the garbage bin.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Should I save them for 70? Or use them at 60 gear?
It's technically the same value, it basically buys poetic gear, previous expansion stuff, and all the gear is the same amount of poetics, so like a 70 chest is the same amount of poetics as a 60chest, so kinda doesn't really matter, just buys whatever you feel like, they have virtually no value(poetics are stupidly easy to get, you probably already got a bunch if you've done any old dungeon) so you can't go wrong.

For your class, if you want to lvl faster, WHM is the way to go, almost instant queues on most content, easier to carry retards, very good single target(after 72) and aoe DPS. That said if you don't like healing obviously go for a DPS instead. RDM probably has a slight edge in random questing, while it has to stand still to cast, the burst it does off a 1.5s cast is a lot higher than BRD ramp up style. Not that BRD is really much worse, same shit really.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
RDM is the best if you want to quest. They also have the pimpest style of any class. The 80 AF is ridiculously cool looking.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I am 52, and the whole game got tedious. I am in Heavensward or whatever the fuck they call it. The MSQ split off into two parts. Holy Fucking Christ. DOUBLE the tedium of ARR MSQ and traveling is a pain in the nuts now, so triple the tedium.

The biggest crime is that my character at 52 is less powerful than it was at LEVEL 1....I just have a lot more buttons to push in order to be a whole lot less effective.

Also, christ on a cross, but this game has a poor implementation of 90's gfx tech. I was hoping Heavensward would look better than ARR, but it is worse. They removed all the lighting and set contrast to 2.

I'll try it for another hour, but it looks like the game is headed for the garbage bin.

In terms of traveling in HW, you do get the ability to fly. Basically once you beat a zone and get all the aether compass points/quests that unlock an aether node, you can fly in that zone. While that doesn't help you while first doing the zone, it does help a lot later when you have to revisit old zones.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still think this is the best looking MMO on the market (well, mainstream that is. Some of those rangrang ones are pretty) and it's got some pretty legit systems.

Just came back after yet another break, getting all my dragonsungs before the next patch drops and I get to do it all over again. Mmmmm crafting macros.

Gathering wasn't nearly as bad as I had though it would be (got both miner/botanist in like... a day) but it helps to have a shitload of perception so that you get 3x instead of 2x on the 1 hit skill bump. Any +2 node becomes minimum 3x on the HQ gather, and that shortens the time by a lot. Think it took me a total of... 3.5 hours? To do both miner/botanist. Fisher has taken me about an hour and 20 to do the first step; I imagine it'll be another 2-2.5 for the 2nd.

Need to hit a higher Ilvl to continue the story with him my WHM, but with 5.3 being delayed I'm actually just taking it easy and leveling the other classes. Such a relaxing game.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
It's technically the same value, it basically buys poetic gear, previous expansion stuff, and all the gear is the same amount of poetics, so like a 70 chest is the same amount of poetics as a 60chest, so kinda doesn't really matter, just buys whatever you feel like, they have virtually no value(poetics are stupidly easy to get, you probably already got a bunch if you've done any old dungeon) so you can't go wrong.

For your class, if you want to lvl faster, WHM is the way to go, almost instant queues on most content, easier to carry retards, very good single target(after 72) and aoe DPS. That said if you don't like healing obviously go for a DPS instead. RDM probably has a slight edge in random questing, while it has to stand still to cast, the burst it does off a 1.5s cast is a lot higher than BRD ramp up style. Not that BRD is really much worse, same shit really.
I like healing the most but I feel like a potato when I do it on anything more difficult than easy stuff. I may be the one who needs carry or maybe I just need practice.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I like healing the most but I feel like a potato when I do it on anything more difficult than easy stuff. I may be the one who needs carry or maybe I just need practice.
Depends on what level you are, WHM healing gets easier as you level up and get more and more free oGCD heals you can weave or just panic mash. In ARR they get virtually no emergency other than swiftcast and bene, in HW they start getting some and in SB they get half a dozen of shit you can throw when someone needs a heal without having to hardcast and wait.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Interesting that HW is having you feel this way, most people loved it and considered it the best "expansion" between ARR/HW/SB until this current ShB one.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Interesting that HW is having you feel this way, most people loved it and considered it the best "expansion" between ARR/HW/SB until this current ShB one.
Without spoilers, can you give reasons as to why? I just finished the Bismark stuff and while it is certainly better than ARR, I wouldn't say it's that much beyond ARR if you take out all the filler shit.

Less filler, I guess? There's still a decent amount of filler in HW, especially at the beginning.